• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Trump: Dems favorability down to 31%! All time low! Sad!

No one underestimated Trump's supporters. He got less votes than any Republican in the past four elections.

What was underestimated was how much Comey and Putin and new voting laws would suppress Dem voters.

That's mostly concentrated in NY and CA republicans I imagine. 1 outta 7 voters hated both candidates. That group voted 85% Trump. You vote for the celebrity, and that's what happened.

That's mostly concentrated in NY and CA republicans I imagine. 1 outta 7 voters hated both candidates. That group voted 85% Trump. You vote for the celebrity, and that's what happened.
A vote is a vote, Trump won the election on the strength of 100K voters in 3 or 4 Midwestern states, where the Democrat turnout was down a couple hundred thousand votes vs the previous election. As much as some people want to pretend this election was a referendum, it wasn't. This is just what happens when Dems don't like their candidate.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

That's like winning a basketball game 51- 50 and giving credit to your offense.

A vote is a vote, Trump won the election on the strength of 100K voters in 3 or 4 Midwestern states, where the Democrat turnout was down a couple hundred thousand votes vs the previous election. As much as some people want to pretend this election was a referendum, it wasn't. This is just what happens when Dems don't like their candidate.

Or when the media biases make the dems think they don't have to cause she's already won

Trump did outperform Romney, so it wasn't a solely the dems didn't show up. Trump got more 163k more votes than Romney in Michigan, got 2k more than Romney in WI, and 232k more in PA. Total voter turnout was even higher in PA than in 2012, doesn't scream apathy.

Seems like the blacks just didn't show up to vote for Hillary as they did for Obama. Pretty obvious why, and it likely had nothing to do with how good or bad of a candidate hillary was.

Last edited:
Vote was up in FL and NC as well, in FL and PA significantly. Trump beat Romney by 69k in NC and 443k in FL. Those are the 5 states that mattered, hard to say Trump didn't get out the vote when in those 5 states overall voting was up 2% and Trump beat Romney by 900k. Hard to say there wasn't a referendum. Just the Orange County crowd didn't come out because they knew it didn't matter. Trump lost 1.7 million votes (4.8 mil to 3.1 mil) compared to Romney. Essentially the entire popular vote difference.

Hillary - 450k vs Obama: Trump + 900k vs Romney, overall vote up 450k in those 5 swing states. So clearly Trump took people who previously voted for Obama.

Last edited:
It can't be a national referendum if he loses the popular vote. That's by definition.

NO, I don't.

Why not take out the red states with the biggest difference for Trump would have the total n umber of votes in CA ?

A referendum is a clear and large winner. Reagan was a referendum. Obama was a referendum.

You can't be referendum if you don't the popular vote of the entire nation. This isn't even close.

Vote was up in FL and NC as well, in FL and PA significantly. Trump beat Romney by 69k in NC and 443k in FL. Those are the 5 states that mattered, hard to say Trump didn't get out the vote when in those 5 states overall voting was up 2% and Trump beat Romney by 900k. Hard to say there wasn't a referendum. Just the Orange County crowd didn't come out because they knew it didn't matter

Hillary - 450k vs Obama: Trump + 900k vs Romney, overall vote up 450k in those 5 swing states. So clearly Trump took people who previously voted for Obama.

The Orange county crowd thought it mattered in 2012?

Bush vote 2000: 50,456,002 (47.9%) Al Gore vote 2000: 50,999,897 (48.4%)
Bush vote 2004: 62,040,610 (50.7%) John Kerry vote 2004: 59,028,444 (48.3%)
McCain vote 2008: 59,948,323 (45.7%) Obama vote 2008: 69,498,516 (52.9 %)
Romney vote 2012:60,933,504 (47.2%) Obama vote 2012: 65,915,795 (51.1%)
So based on 4 election cycles, Republicans averaged: 47.86 % of the vote, Democrats: 50.18 % of the vote

In this election:

Trump vote 2016: 60,405,997 (47.7%) *as of 4:50 today, Trumps deficit is growing because most remaining uncounted ballots are from California and New York.
Clinton vote 2016: 61,110,959 (47.7%) *as of 4:50 today

So Trump received .16% less support than the previous 4 Republican presidential candidates,
Hillary received 2.48% less support than the previous 4 Democratic candidates

Where is the Republican mandate there?

Obama did not end the Iraq war. The agreement was already in place.

Four members of the American military died recently in the Middle East. They died for no good reason. They did not give their lives for their country. Their lives were taken by an establishment, Democratic and Republican, that ought to be placed in the dock and sent to prison. Why was this not a campaign issue with the alleged antiwar crowd.

Maybe rather than keep pretending this was some sort of mandate, you can just interpret the facts as is - Trump narrowed the focus of the Republican campaign onto the swing states, whereas Hillary ran an ineffective national campaign focused on the traditional Democratic base, which limited her ability to win the swing states.

Haven't they still not finished counting like 7 million votes? Are the "totals" you quote accurate yet?

From this morning

“We probably have about 7 million votes left to count,” said David Wasserman, an editor at Cook Political Report who is tracking turnout. “A majority of them are on the coasts, in New York, California, and Washington. She should be able to win those votes, probably 2-1.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-popular-vote-lead-will-grow-and-grow/507455/

So add 2.5 million to Trump 5 million to Clinton and Trump got more votes than any Republican ever and Hillary about tied Obama last year. Take CA out of the equation and Trump beats Clinton in the popular vote and basically doubles her EC votes.

Don't think I'm the one that needs to stop "keep pretending" something.

Why would we take California out of the equation? If that was the case we would take out Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia. You don't think Trump padded Republican totals anywhere?

Why would we take California out of the equation? If that was the case we would take out Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia. You don't think Trump padded Republican totals anywhere?

My simple point is Trump got out the vote pretty much everywhere but one state and dominated pretty much everywhere but one state. (he got more votes than Romney even in NY) Seems easiest to just agree with this statement.

Clinton currently has a 600k advantage in popular vote and won California by 2.7M votes.

The total amount of popular votes is unimportant, what is relevant is the percentages. Hillary's negative percentage difference is much larger, but Trump didn't pick up that difference. You are reading mandate or referendum where there is really just polarization in every state but a few. Otherwise, Hillary's gains in Georgia, Arizona, Nevada would equal a "mandate".

He gets to implement his policies. He won. Winning the election is all of the mandate he needs.

But it is pretty laughable to try to suggest that a candidate that is going to lose the popular vote by close to 2 million votes when they are all counted has a mandate if you are using the term as it is commonly used.

Last edited:
Back