• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is a reasonable wait time for voting?

What is a reasonable wait time for voting?

• Total voters
I've waited between 15 and 45 minutes the few times I was able to get to the polls in Greensboro last week

I always vote early. Usually no wait. Probably was about 5 minutes this year.

it's really strange there are so many states that don't allow early voting

Colorado is a vote by mail state - all registered voters get a mail-in ballot. My wife and I both completed those so we won't be going to a polling center. No idea what wait times will look like in Denver.

Is there a way to verify your ballot got delivered/counted?

O90MQ.gif

Is there a way to verify the ballot you cast in person gets counted?

Similar question: what's a reasonable number of weeks for the early voting period?

From what I've seen in my county, two weeks of early voting works well. The polling place for my region was the public library. There was a steady flow of people and no lines all last week. There was a trickle during the first week, but that helps keep the second week lines down. I think it's a good use of taxpayer money to staff early voting sites. The payoff in terms of worker productivity is probably high.

From what I've seen in my county, two weeks of early voting works well. The polling place for my region was the public library. There was a steady flow of people and no lines all last week. There was a trickle during the first week, but that helps keep the second week lines down. I think it's a good use of taxpayer money to staff early voting sites. The payoff in terms of worker productivity is probably high.

I'm in Atlanta and had the same experience. Polling place is also a library. There was no line but always a few people voting at any given time. Think this should be the new standard

Yeah. It makes too much sense. I usually work at the library on days I don't go to campus. The door to the voting room was always open at the exit. There were 16 booths and I never saw more than a dozen people waiting. Probably no more than a five minute wait, at least before 6 pm.

A cool thing they did one day was a cheer for every first time voter. My pastor went with his 19 year old and said it was a proud moment.

Yeah. It makes too much sense. I usually work at the library on days I don't go to campus. The door to the voting room was always open at the exit. There were 16 booths and I never saw more than a dozen people waiting. Probably no more than a five minute wait, at least before 6 pm.

A cool thing they did one day was a cheer for every first time voter. My pastor went with his 19 year old and said it was a proud moment.

That's a great thing. I genuinely enjoy election day for reasons like this. The consequences of this election scare the absolute shit out of me, but I am proud that people participate in the process. I wish everyone did. I would love to see that be a goal we have for ourselves as a society.

Is there a way to verify the ballot you cast in person gets counted?

I see it printed out on the official election machine that has oversight by reps from both parties.
With the mail-in what's stopping someone from dumping mail before it's delivered?

Yes by way of individually assigned intelligent bar codes. There are also dedicated ballot collection boxes where you can drop your ballot off without having to send it through the mail. Ballots can still be tracked if they are dropped in ballot collection boxes.

it's really strange there are so many states that don't allow early voting

And yet somehow the Republic still stands.

Sarcasm aside, I support early voting and think the 10 days given in NC is just fine. I don't see the need for 17+ days as it was before.

And yet somehow the Republic still stands.

Sarcasm aside, I support early voting and think the 10 days given in NC is just fine. I don't see the need for 17+ days as it was before.

So how long have you hated people who don't look like you?

meh, since absentee people can vote whenever any time limit for early physical voting seems arbitrary

Back