• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is a reasonable wait time for voting?

What is a reasonable wait time for voting?

• Total voters
And yet somehow the Republic still stands.

Sarcasm aside, I support early voting and think the 10 days given in NC is just fine. I don't see the need for 17+ days as it was before.

What's the problem with it?

My wife was in and out of the local library on Friday at 3. A colleague went around the same time the day before and waited an hour :noidea:

Guess I'll find out what it's like voting in person tomorrow. I've only ever voted absentee in a presidential election before.

Meh. The cost for maintaining polling stations has to be .00001% of the cost of what we spend as a country on elections.

Meh. The cost for maintaining polling stations has to be .00001% of the cost of what we spend as a country on elections.

I'm not saying it's my argument, just that it's the only one that seems logical. However, advertising, travel, staffing, etc. costs are not borne at the local level with tax dollars, so it is a little different.

For real though it's the same reason you try to have fantasy drafts as close to the opener as possible. Never know what could happen in the waning hours #clintontearsacl

People should never be turned around from polls that are open.

In Europe today and was slammed all last work week so I had to go Sat for last day of early voting. Site closed at 1 (Wake County) and I got in line around 1245. Cast my votes at 330. Gave me hope for the country that all sorts of folks were there and willing to wait in line to make their voice heard (no matter the affiliation).

My favorite part was a 10 year old hitler youth kid there with his mom manning the GOP booth and handing out anti-Hillary pamphlets while wearing a Dartmouth tshirt. I could be wrong but it seems 99.9999% likely that he grows up into an insufferable douchenozzle. He needs a mentor like Moonz...

People should never be turned around from polls that are open.

If the polls were open until 2pm and the rule is in line by 2pm and you get to vote (like it is on Election Day), I have no problem wth turning people around even though the polling station is still "open" for people who were in line when it closed. There has to be a cut off at some point. Not sure if that's what you were saying though.

ETA: Heading to the polls in midtown Atlanta in 45 minutes - will report back on lines. I've only waited more than 15 minutes once, and that was in 2008.

In line at 6:22.
Out at 6:53.

At work at 7:08. Suppression: Fail.

Last edited:
My wife was in at 6:30, out at 6:55. I voted last week during lunch and waited an hour.

For the record, I voted 2 weeks ago, 9:00am sharp when my city's town hall opened. It took 5-8 minutes because I read in detail all of the ballot questions. Would have taken 1, maybe 2 minutes if I'd just written in Vermin Supreme and headed out.

In and out in less than 10 minutes. Got in around 7:25, no line
I was the 32nd vote of the day according to the computer that scanned my ballot
Wife was giving my crap about waiting until election day, said she only had to wait in line for 10 minutes, shows what she knows.

Showed up at 7:20am. Line around the gym, and then some. Left immediately, I'll leave work early and try again maybe around 3:30.

I got there around 6:15 and was~15th in line. By the time doors opened at 630 there were probably 50 people behind me. Took about 20 minutes

Voted in Winston this morning. Got to my polling place at 8:05, was done by 8:15. No line.

Back