• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is a reasonable wait time for voting?

What is a reasonable wait time for voting?

• Total voters
Northern Virginia 10am, gorgeous day out, 5 minutes from start to finish.

Nice little bake sale out front as well. Probably helped distract folks from all the rigging going on in the background.

Nice little bake sale out front as well. Probably helped distract folks from all the rigging going on in the background.

Probably the hippies trying to impact the results with their reefer madness.

Are you all giving your employees some flexibility so they'll have time to vote?

Does anyone on here work for (or run) a company that gives employees off today? I know there are some big guns that do it - GM, Patagonia, etc - but it seems to be limited to car manufacturers and Silicon Valley.

A little over an hour just north of midtown ATL. New polling place for this election that seemed to have about half the machines that the last one did. Still went smoothly, other than the loud Trump brosef behind me spouting nonsense to his girlfriend the whole time. He mentioned himself in the third person at least 3 times so I googled him and found out he was a physical therapist who went to Ole Miss. About right.

Less than 5 minute walk to polling site and about 2 minutes in line. Early voting sure makes it easier on those of us who wait.

A little over an hour just north of midtown ATL. New polling place for this election that seemed to have about half the machines that the last one did. Still went smoothly, other than the loud Trump brosef behind me spouting nonsense to his girlfriend the whole time. He mentioned himself in the third person at least 3 times so I googled him and found out he was a physical therapist who went to Ole Miss. About right.

Not nearly far enough. Ts & Ps.

took me less than 2 minutes to get through 3-4 person line. BKF-old volunteers were like "oh my, we are getting a line."

I would have normally voted 30 or 45 minutes, but I don't believe there should be disparities for race or socioeconomic status, so I voted 5 minutes.

took me less than 2 minutes to get through 3-4 person line. BKF-old volunteers were like "oh my, we are getting a line."

I would have normally voted 30 or 45 minutes, but I don't believe there should be disparities for race or socioeconomic status, so I voted 5 minutes.

Query: What was the tuition at Wake Forest when you attended?

All public transit free in Austin today. I'd hope lots of cities are doing something similar.

Lines would be a lot shorter if they had people that knew how to find your name in their book. I think half the volunteers don't realize it is in alphabetical order.

Are you all giving your employees some flexibility so they'll have time to vote?

Was the prior 10 days of early voting time not enough time for them to vote?

In answer to your question, if anyone needs to run off to vote today I have no problem with it.

All public transit free in Austin today. I'd hope lots of cities are doing something similar.

This is screwed up.

CHARLOTTE -- Dozens of companies are offering free stuff for voting on Election Day Tuesday, but that's actually illegal to do by federal law.

Criminal law attorney Corey Parton says businesses can face up to two years of jail time, plus a fine, for offering free stuff in exchange for proof of voting.

"As you can imagine that would be one tool that people would use to get around the law, if they say, ‘oh we were just giving people something of value not to vote,’ and you can obviously encourage an election by suppressing voter turnout,” said Parton.

Parton says businesses can avoid breaking the law by expanding their Election Day offer to all customers, without requiring them to vote.

He also says he has yet to see a company prosecuted for this crime.

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/charlotte...oting-on-election-day-breaks-federal-law.html

Depends on if their state has early voting or if the early voting locations are close enough for them to make without having to get to work late or leave early.

In answer to your question, if anyone needs to run off to vote today I have no problem with it.

Oh ye of not-embarrassingly-low expectations...

Even though I voted early, I still stopped by my polling station to hit up the bake sale. Sadly, these Girl Scouts were disappointing bakers. At least they'll have Thin Mints later.

I cancelled lab today-we have 12 weeks to complete 8-10 labs, so this was a strategic off day.

Took me about 25 minutes. Voting sequence was
1)Show ID, and recite your name and address, and pick up a ticket. This was the end of line 1
2)Pick up a paper ballot (line 2)
3)Get in line 3 and fill out the ballot with a pen
4)Pass the ballot through a machine, which gave me a "you vote has counted" message on the monitor.

This seems like a lot of steps, and 25 minutes seems reasonable given those steps. I think it was done this way to give both an electronic and paper record of the votes, although having used a scantron machine during finals week, I have concerns about mechanical failures that could damage these ballots. Does anyone still use a straight up electronic system?
2)

I did not get my ID out nor was I asked to. OWG in front of me voluntarily dropped his license on the table for the ladies to look at. Maybe he thought it would help them find his name.

I saw a poll watcher double checking names; he looked to be about 80

Back