• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official MLB SPRING TRAINING THREAD (Cobb signs with O's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree they were all going to suck, but to sell off your marquee players for pennies on the dollar erodes the fan base pretty damn quick. Meadows will be good, but w/Marte's PED rumors - I think they could have/should have gotten more for Andrew.

Can'tStandya, you are right about Pitt fans enjoying a lot of success these last 10 years. The Steelers should return to the playoffs, but the Pirates are done for the next 10, ok maybe next 5 and change.

Are there rumors that Marte is getting busted again? Haven’t seen that if so

No, I didn't mean to imply that there are new rumors. From what I have read they have talked about players getting caught and continue to use them. That would be my concern as a GM planning for the future. Marte was definitely not the same player in 2017 as he was in other years. Maybe that was due to injuries, pressure, etc. I don't know.

Clocks don't belong in baseball. Not during live ball time anyway. We manage high school pace of play between innings and by keeping batters in the box and limiting visits etc. there are ways to keep the game going without a pitch clock. Which won't really shave more than a few minutes off a game anyway. Let baseball be baseball.

Clocks don't belong in baseball. Not during live ball time anyway. We manage high school pace of play between innings and by keeping batters in the box and limiting visits etc. there are ways to keep the game going without a pitch clock. Which won't really shave more than a few minutes off a game anyway. Let baseball be baseball.

you do realize there's been a 10 second count to deliver a pitch for decades, right?

I agree they were all going to suck, but to sell off your marquee players for pennies on the dollar erodes the fan base pretty damn quick. Meadows will be good, but w/Marte's PED rumors - I think they could have/should have gotten more for Andrew.

Can'tStandya, you are right about Pitt fans enjoying a lot of success these last 10 years. The Steelers should return to the playoffs, but the Pirates are done for the next 10, ok maybe next 5 and change.

the rays won 80 games last year. they got 64 games from wilson ramos and 98 from kevin kiermaier. they have 3 top 100 prospects at aaa. their only free agents were alex cobb (who was pedestrian last year), logan morrison, and lucas duda (who had a .724 ops in 52 games). how the fuck do you figure they were going to suck?

the issue of the longo trade is another matter entirely though. if he weren't joining me in SF i would likely be very pissed from an emotional perspective. from a logical perspective, i don't know how i feel. it definitely lessens my connection with the team i grew up with (and honestly the bex trade for me is almost as hard). will it be the best move for a cash-strapped team who fans don't show up to see? maybe. they are making moves on getting a new stadium and much like atlanta if they position themselves to be good when that happens that's better than making the playoffs with 85 wins and the sawx and yanks are stacked?

Pedestrian Alex Cobb turning down 3/$42 is silly, but will sit back and wait to see. The Phils are angling to overpay someone, we'll see if it's him.

he was coming off tj. his fip was a half run higher than his career average. 3/42 is nothing for an average starter. we have those in spades.

though I guess he was 2nd on the staff in fwar, so maybe I am underestimating his impact. he just seemed off but I was biking in Europe all summer so what do I know.

The Braves appear to be at their spend limit. Weren’t involved with stopgap guys at need positions like Cutch and Headley who could have been acquired for money and don’t see them trying for a bargain sign like Cain or Frazier on 3/2 year deals.

Interesting that the pace of play changes - which I generally think are a positive change - don't address improvements to the replay system that the players supported. Also bullpen carts!

Jose Lobaton gone from Nationals to the Mets (on a minor league deal) , so they have Matt Wieters and two 24 year olds with a combined 72 major league at bats, 18 hits and 7 RBI as their catchers. Sounds like a great way to contend for the world series, unless they have another plan at catcher.

Jose Lobaton gone from Nationals to the Mets (on a minor league deal) , so they have Matt Wieters and two 24 year olds with a combined 72 major league at bats, 18 hits and 7 RBI as their catchers. Sounds like a great way to contend for the world series, unless they have another plan at catcher.

If the Nats biggest problem in January more than two months before opening day is their #2 catcher, they are in awesome shape (btw, Pedro Severino is an elite defensive player). BTW, losing Lobaton is addition by subtraction. He may have been the worst offensive player in MLB in 2017 that stayed on the active rosters for the entire season.

We interrupt our regularly-scheduled discussion on collusion to bring you the annual sanctimonious #hottakes on steroid guys in the Hall of Fame, today at 3pm Eastern.

If Boras takes his truckload of clients into spring training without deals, do players continue to flock to him as the bringer of bloated contracts?

Man, Jose Bautista should have taken some of those extensions he was offered. He probably lost $50-60MM. That will keep you up at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back