• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

i thought Franken was not interested

He's not. I listened to a WTF podcast he did as a guest of Maron's. He was pretty definitive about not wanting to run and staying where he is. Was a pretty good interview. I think he was honest in not wanting to run, and he also talked a lot about drugs back in the 70s and his comedy history. While I really like Franken, his comic past would provide a ton of great oppo research to the point where he'd have a similar problem appealing to middle white America like Clinton did.

He's not. I listened to a WTF podcast he did as a guest of Maron's. He was pretty definitive about not wanting to run and staying where he is. Was a pretty good interview. I think he was honest in not wanting to run, and he also talked a lot about drugs back in the 70s and his comedy history. While I really like Franken, his comic past would provide a ton of great oppo research to the point where he'd have a similar problem appealing to middle white America like Clinton did.

I don't think the use of drugs decades ago would be a big deal for an entertainer. It would be different if he had been a politician or in corporate America. I think the people who watched him would give him a pass. Remember, he was always the outsider (who was really an insider). I don't think it would be a big deal at all.

I don't think the use of drugs decades ago would be a big deal for an entertainer. It would be different if he had been a politician or in corporate America. I think the people who watched him would give him a pass. Remember, he was always the outsider (who was really an insider). I don't think it would be a big deal at all.

With all due respect, you're not from a purple, middle America state. A Dem will have to win some of FL, NC, VA, PA, OH, IA, WI and MI to win next time around. These are the middle America places Hillary under performed in last time, and white folks in most of those states went with Trump. Al nearly lost his 1st run when his past was almost successfully used against him in a pretty blue state. He won fairly easily the 2nd time around after Minnesotans became more comfortable with him. A nationwide contest would be more like his 1st senate run as he'd be reintroduced to the entire country, and he'd certainly face the same tactics Coleman used against him the 1st time. When you read a transcript of a joke without the assistance of context, facial expression and inflection, you can entirely miss the joke and even be offended by the content. Add to that, he went to Harvard. Not saying he'd definitively lose, but he'd have to spend a lot of time explaining away past jokes and statements. I think he realizes this and wants no part of the level of scrutiny he'd get in a national run.

All of that said, I wouldn't rule out him being a potential veep. As Dan Quayle can attest, a veep can have lots of issues, and it won't matter much. Al is a good messenger who would be of assistance on the Sunday a.m. shows.

I am from PA. I just live in CA. I was in PA when Franken was at SNL.

FL likes old Jews. :)

Al didn't lose when it was thrown at him and won handily the next time. He is known now. As I said, I thought of him as VP not POTUS.

With all due respect, you're not from a purple, middle America state. A Dem will have to win some of FL, NC, VA, PA, OH, IA, WI and MI to win next time around. These are the middle America places Hillary under performed in last time, and white folks in most of those states went with Trump. Al nearly lost his 1st run when his past was almost successfully used against him in a pretty blue state. He won fairly easily the 2nd time around after Minnesotans became more comfortable with him. A nationwide contest would be more like his 1st senate run as he'd be reintroduced to the entire country, and he'd certainly face the same tactics Coleman used against him the 1st time. When you read a transcript of a joke without the assistance of context, facial expression and inflection, you can entirely miss the joke and even be offended by the content. Add to that, he went to Harvard. Not saying he'd definitively lose, but he'd have to spend a lot of time explaining away past jokes and statements. I think he realizes this and wants no part of the level of scrutiny he'd get in a national run.

All of that said, I wouldn't rule out him being a potential veep. As Dan Quayle can attest, a veep can have lots of issues, and it won't matter much. Al is a good messenger who would be of assistance on the Sunday a.m. shows.

Al Franken remains one good contestant away from losing his Senate seat in this State. I get that he has strong approval ratings right now. But he is a weak cousin politically here to Klobuchar. And his campaign style, speaking style, etc. just isn't very dynamic - which is odd given he's a comic. It isn't relevant anyway because he won't be running for POTUS.

Al Franken remains one good contestant away from losing his Senate seat in this State. I get that he has strong approval ratings right now. But he is a weak cousin politically here to Klobuchar. And his campaign style, speaking style, etc. just isn't very dynamic - which is odd given he's a comic. It isn't relevant anyway because he won't be running for POTUS.

What do you think of Klobuchar and her potential interest? She isn't the most dynamic speaker either?

I've always found Franken pretty interesting to listen to compared to most politicians. Interesting to hear differing opinions on this. Definitely a major reason why politics is so interesting

What do you think of Klobuchar and her potential interest? She isn't the most dynamic speaker either?

I believe she will run. I know many people who know her, some who know her well. The general view is that she'll run. I would not be surprised if a woman won the 2020 election. And if that is right, then it won't be Hillary or Elizabeth Warren. It will be someone younger. Klobuchar has as good a shot as anyone else. She is likable and approachable. And while I don't generally agree with her on many issues I also know she would bring some pragmatism back to the national political scene - which we sorely need right now.

In May Elizabeth Warren had the 3rd best odds behind Trump and Pence for 2020.

Michelle Obama is in 4th.

In May Elizabeth Warren had the 3rd best odds behind Trump and Pence for 2020.

Michelle Obama is in 4th.

january4.jpg

A) that's amazing
B) lol that the RNC had him come out with his Rock persona/intro

Back