• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

There are 14 Dems running in the new PA district 5. FOURTEEN.

Which leads to a bit of a situation. The machine (as juice would say) in Philly hand picked a guy to succeed Bob Brady. But Philly was mostly drawn into two districts with incumbents and a big part of South Philly was drawn into PA 5 with all of suburban Delaware County. So he's running in that district. And he has a lot of money behind him.

The DelCo Dem party is upset and want the candidate to be from Delaware County. (I guess they would be the machine too, to the extent that a party with little power can be a machine.) But with so many candidates, there's a risk that they'll all split the vote and the powers that be in Philly will pick up a suburban seat.

It's so refreshing to see "constituents" (right, ITC?) benefiting from last minute additions to legislation they spent 800k lobbying for

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/28/jpmorgan-crapo-banking-bill/

"If JPMorgan Chase could convince regulators that it was eligible for Section 402 capital relief, then it would be able to lower its capital requirement by $21.4 billion, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation has calculated in an internal report. While that’s around 0.8 percent of JPMorgan’s $2.6 trillion in assets, it would be a 13.4 percent reduction in the bank’s capital requirement. Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., offered an amendment to strike all of Section 402 from the bill, but it never got a vote on the Senate floor.
So when Dimon said that S.2155 “doesn’t really have anything to do with us,” he was potentially off by $21.4 billion.
That’s not the only provision in the bill that JPMorgan Chase could take advantage of..."

JP Morgan Chase is currently the worlds 6th largest bank, as measured by assets.

Franks nails it throughout that piece. Vote for Claire, but don't shuck and jive for Claire.

Today in a townhall, she said "can i get an amen?" regarding supporting Dreamers. Didn't she vote twice to not support dreamers?

I wouldn't vote for her if I lived in MO.

Today in a townhall, she said "can i get an amen?" regarding supporting Dreamers. Didn't she vote twice to not support dreamers?

I wouldn't vote for her if I lived in MO.

Is she being primaried?

https://pjmedia.com/faith/democrats-more-okay-with-adultery-envy-and-dishonoring-parents/

A recent survey in the journal Sociology of Religion found that the most common factors among supporters of Donald Trump in the 2016 election are issues centered around "Christian nationalism." Questions surrounding whether America is a Christian nation, whether the country should acknowledge its Christian heritage, and whether it should allow prayer in schools proved much better predictors for a Trump vote than frequent Democrat attacks like racism or sexism.

Some aspects of this Christian nationalism are arguably wrong and potentially dangerous, but the emphasis on religion props up the "Golden Triangle of Freedom," the founding fathers' suggestion that religion supports morality, which supports freedom, which supports religion.

On the flip-side, Democrats seem to underemphasize religion in public life, to the degree that their party obscures the value of basic moral principles like urging people not to covet one another's possessions. If Republicans stoke judgement and religion, Democrats arguably stoke the fires of envy by railing against the wealthy and corporations. Liberal positions on sex might undercut the stricture against adultery, and the emphasis on "Resistance" seems ill-fitting for honoring one's father and mother.

Rather than finding a happy medium between these two positions — supporting a religion that upholds morality without declaring America a Christian nation — independents seem to have settled on a more simplistic middle position between over-religious conservatives and too-secular liberals.

The Deseret News/YouGov survey underscored the importance of religion in undergirding morality. Those who identified their level of religiosity as "high" or "medium" tended to value every single commandment more than those who said they had a "low" level of religiosity.

So liberals protesting and talking about sex undermines the Christian missives and somehow indicates that they should seek a moderate point with the right?

Okay PJmedia.

So folks supported Trump because liberals undermine morality and support adultery? Got it.

Is that not what that article is literally saying? What do you think it says instead? Also, can we stop misusing the word “nationalism” to describe a group of people that hate the national government. Christian supremacist is probably a more honest description than Christian nationalist.

Lol at calling out democrats for obscuring moral principles when the pubs elected Trump and continue to grovel at his feet.

you guys are pretty good at not getting it

that's why you are where you are politically
I get it.
"...the value of basic moral principles like urging people not to covet one another's possessions. If Republicans stoke judgement and religion, Democrats arguably stoke the fires of envy by railing against the wealthy and corporations."

Envy. Your Christian moral capitalism has people committing suicide over hospital bills and eviction notices while corporations hoard wealth. Fuck you, and fuck your fiscal darwinism. The "Christian morals" of black hearted vultures.

This is like a game of political telephone. PJMedia linked Raw Story which linked the Sociology of Religion article, but only quoted a WaPo piece on the article. sailor quoted PJMedia's take. Here is Raw Story's take:

According to a survey in the journal Sociology of Religion, the reason evangelicals continue to support President Donald Trump despite alleged moral failings comes from their priorities being tied to Christian nationalism.
Voters’ religious doctrine has nothing to do with those who stand with Trump. “Their view of the United States as a fundamentally Christian nation,” are paramount to their continued support, The Washington Post wrote.
The Post compared the recent survey to the fifth wave of the Baylor Religion Survey that surveyed Americans shortly after the inauguration in 2017. They combined responses to six specific questions in which people were asked if they agreed or disagreed.
The questions involved declaring the U.S. a Christian nation, and the U.S. is “part of God’s plan,” saying government should advocate Christian values, display Christian symbols, allow prayer in schools and other similar questions.
The findings ultimately showed the more someone believed that the U.S. should be a Christian nation, the more likely they are to vote for and support Trump, even after controlling for other influences such as politics, party and cultural factors.
Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-7.46.39-AM.png
(Washington Post collection of findings from religious surveys)

Respondents’ specific religious affiliation also didn’t factor in their decision. However, “antagonism toward Muslims” was as important to those surveyed as Christian nationalism.
“How much a U.S. voter feared Muslims was as significant in predicting who voted for Trump as Christian nationalism,” The Post explained. “Overall the strongest predictors of Trump voting were the usual suspects of political identity and race, followed closely by Islamophobia and Christian nationalism.”
The findings ultimately reveal that regardless of Trump’s questionable statements, affairs, alleged assaults and morality, they see him making Christian heritage a priority.

“Ironically, Christian nationalism is focused on preserving a perceived Christian identity for America irrespective of the means by which such a project would be achieved,” The Post commented. It explains why white Christians believe Trump is a tool from God, even if he isn’t a person of faith or godliness himself.
---------

Meanwhile, here is the abstract from the Sociology of Religion article:

[h=2]Abstract[/h] Why did Americans vote for Donald Trump in the 2016 Presidential election? Social scientists have proposed a variety of explanations, including economic dissatisfaction, sexism, racism, Islamophobia, and xenophobia. The current study establishes that, independent of these influences, voting for Trump was, at least for many Americans, a symbolic defense of the United States’ perceived Christian heritage. Data from a national probability sample of Americans surveyed soon after the 2016 election shows that greater adherence to Christian nationalist ideology was a robust predictor of voting for Trump, even after controlling for economic dissatisfaction, sexism, anti-black prejudice, anti-Muslim refugee attitudes, and anti-immigrant sentiment, as well as measures of religion, sociodemographics, and political identity more generally. These findings indicate that Christian nationalist ideology—although correlated with a variety of class-based, sexist, racist, and ethnocentric views—is not synonymous with, reducible to, or strictly epiphenomenal of such views. Rather, Christian nationalism operates as a unique and independent ideology that can influence political actions by calling forth a defense of mythological narratives about America’s distinctively Christian heritage and future.

Note how PJmedia brushes over much of the article by saying, "Some aspects of this Christian nationalism are arguably wrong and potentially dangerous, but..."

Lol at calling out democrats for obscuring moral principles when the pubs elected Trump and continue to grovel at his feet.

they will literally forgive anything as long as he keeps appointing justices they like

I get it.
"...the value of basic moral principles like urging people not to covet one another's possessions. If Republicans stoke judgement and religion, Democrats arguably stoke the fires of envy by railing against the wealthy and corporations."

Envy. Your Christian moral capitalism has people committing suicide over hospital bills and eviction notices while corporations hoard wealth. Fuck you, and fuck your fiscal darwinism. The "Christian morals" of black hearted vultures.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Having grown up in a country Southern Baptist church, and still knowing a good many fundamentalists, and having known more than a few hypocritical Baptist preachers over the years, they are the last people on Earth to be accusing others of fostering immorality or sitting in moral judgment on anyone. As I recall, someone named Jesus also "railed against the wealthy" and powerful, and spoke up for the poor and powerless. To a large extent that's why he was killed - he upset and worried the powers-that-be in his day. Apparently, the Sermon on the Mount and stories such as Jesus physically throwing the moneychangers out of the Temple in Jerusalem doesn't enter into their vocabulary.

I didn't need any study to tell me that people who are less religious are less likely to believe wholeheartedly in the 10 commandments than people who are more religious.

Next you'll be telling me that people who are gun owners are more likely to support the Second Amendment than people who aren't gun owners.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Having grown up in a country Southern Baptist church, and still knowing a good many fundamentalists, and having known more than a few hypocritical Baptist preachers over the years, they are the last people on Earth to be accusing others of fostering immorality or sitting in moral judgment on anyone. As I recall, someone named Jesus also "railed against the wealthy" and powerful, and spoke up for the poor and powerless. To a large extent that's why he was killed - he upset and worried the powers-that-be in his day. Apparently, the Sermon on the Mount and stories such as Jesus physically throwing the moneychangers out of the Temple in Jerusalem doesn't enter into their vocabulary.

Yep.

This topic is always confusing to me. My whole life I’ve gone to church and know really strong Christians who aren’t hypocrites, who know the Word like the back of their hand. They believe the US is a Christian nation, many are anti-abortion, many think homosexuality is a sin, some own and are passionate about guns but have never had any problem being staunch Democrats.

The vast majority of black Christians, Latino Christians, Asian Christians etc are Democrats. This whole Christian nationalism think is just a white people issue.

Yep.

This topic is always confusing to me. My whole life I’ve gone to church and know really strong Christians who aren’t hypocrites, who know the Word like the back of their hand. They believe the US is a Christian nation, many are anti-abortion, many think homosexuality is a sin, some own and are passionate about guns but have never had any problem being staunch Democrats.

The vast majority of black Christians, Latino Christians, Asian Christians etc are Democrats. This whole Christian nationalism think is just a white people issue.

Those folks aren't real Christians.

Back