• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Bernie was a poor candidate with a good message who also benefited from being "not Hillary."

Fair point.

If the DNC wants to do this right, they should broadcast the draws like the NBA lottery. The need to suck all the attention possible from the debates. One of the big problems in 2016 was that the DNC didn't want attention to the debates and the RNC took it and held on to the media narratives.

Great point and great idea.

I feel like a Beto/Kamala ticket has the potential to be a Dem powerhouse. There aren’t a lot of boxes that combo leaves unchecked.

Why in that order?

Because people are (stupidly) afraid that nominating a woman of color will flip “moderate” Dem votes to Trump, so make the less experienced white dude the presidential candidate and try to use the woman of color to placate actual Democrats.

Because people are (stupidly) afraid that nominating a woman of color will flip “moderate” Dem votes to Trump, so make the less experienced white dude the presidential candidate and try to use the woman of color to placate actual Democrats.

I would be surprised if she took the VP slot. It's a downgrade from Senate. Plus, she is more accomplished than he is.

If Kamala Harris was willing to accept that premise, I would like her a lot less.

I disagree with that.

Yeah, that’s pretty damn offensive. Kamala Harris is a much better and more accomplished politician than Beto O’Rourke.

Yeah, that’s pretty damn offensive. Kamala Harris is a much better and more accomplished politician than Beto O’Rourke.

And Pence was better and more accomplished than Trump.

And Biden was better and more accomplished than Obama.

People are saying Beto/Harris because they think Beto is more likely to win the primary.

And that’s probably because he’s better than most Democrats at communicating his values as expressed in this article.

Linguist George Lakoff on what Democrats don’t understand — and Republicans do — about how voters think
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-...hGLSIB18ZeezpiYMAzymqfaWN8R-M93uYQhOuN45EdXA8

People are saying Beto/Harris because they think Beto is more likely to win the primary.

And that’s probably because he’s better than most Democrats at communicating his values as expressed in this article.

Linguist George Lakoff on what Democrats don’t understand — and Republicans do — about how voters think
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-...hGLSIB18ZeezpiYMAzymqfaWN8R-M93uYQhOuN45EdXA8

I understand what you’re saying and largely agree with it. It’s just a shame that anybody thinks benching Kamala Harris in favor of Beto O’Rourke is a good idea. It’s like Manning playing Grant O’Brien over John Collins level bad, Ph.

There's a vast difference between making someone less qualified POTUS for years to come versus the first three games of a frosh's year and then not ever doing it again when games were in doubt.

I understand what you’re saying and largely agree with it. It’s just a shame that anybody thinks benching Kamala Harris in favor of Beto O’Rourke is a good idea. It’s like Manning playing Grant O’Brien over John Collins level bad, Ph.

Grant O’Brien was more experienced and had less talent.

That’s the Democratic Party! Yay!

Wait do you all think I was advocating for that to happen?

Harris might consider VP under Biden or Sherrod Brown, but I doubt anyone else. If Biden runs for one term, she could be POTUS in waiting. Otherwise, I think Harris is POTUS or nothing.

I think it's more likely that Beto takes VP. He's young and would be prime time for 2028 (Texas could be purple by then).

Thats a good article. I very much agree with the theory, but I don't need necessarily agree with the implication that Beto is the better choice. I think his popularity is being overblown right now by Democrats desperate for a candidate with charisma and energy. It's a seemingly neverending cycle of establishment Dems convincing themselves that candidates are more important than progressive promises. The focus is always on finding the next JFK rock star, instead of the party breaking from corporate control and actually giving people the things they want and need.

Back