• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

trump-romney.jpg

When people say politics is fantasy football to some, it’s posts like the last two they’re talking about. The material implications of the legislation are far less important than Ws and Ls of the teams they’re watching. If Romney actually went all Great Society anti poverty of course I’d go vote for him, in a heartbeat. This is just a weird Mormon one off. Anyway Matt Bruenig’s point if anyone was interested is that the $5k total in the Romney plan is more money distributed in an easier way than any of the dem child tax credits than made it to BBB. If you actually follow the issues themselves tho (again instead of just playing fantasy) the Gillibrand plan was the best of all, but it never made it particularly far.

When people say politics is fantasy football to some, it’s posts like the last two they’re talking about. The material implications of the legislation are far less important than Ws and Ls of the teams they’re watching. If Romney actually went all Great Society anti poverty of course I’d go vote for him, in a heartbeat. This is just a weird Mormon one off. Anyway Matt Bruenig’s point if anyone was interested is that the $5k total in the Romney plan is more money distributed in an easier way than any of the dem child tax credits than made it to BBB. If you actually follow the issues themselves tho (again instead of just playing fantasy) the Gillibrand plan was the best of all, but it never made it particularly far.

First, I wasn't being serious. Next, Mr. "I follow the issues themselves tho", you can follow the issues tho all you like (and good for you), but as always you ignore practical realities. If you think Romney's plan passes as-is and he outflanks Biden to get it done, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I was just out at the Capitol steps in the freezing rain listening to unpaid leave, child care, and medical debt stories for a few hours last month. I didn’t get to hear Gillibrand but did get to hear a few other congresspeople speak on the issue and why it was important to them, including Richard Neal. I got to hear about single mothers feeding a family with blinding medical debt from dumpsters because though they worked three part time jobs no employers were obligated and the government couldn’t be bothered to guarantee them basic healthcare.

So yea. It’s insanely frustrating to actually try and follow how budget reconciliation and the ways and means committee and rules committee and now the parliamentarian and lobbying and executive pressure and caucus bargaining and all sorts of other factors play into how laws do or don’t get passed in America. The intraparty bickering about whether to tie BBB to infrastructure or not, to break apart BBB and make congress vote on each 70% polling issue or not, all the rules and conventions, people mistake all that noise and the bland outcomes that derive as the logical endgame of a practical progress.

No need to throw a hissy fit or bring emotion into any of this, guys. Just grow up and hate it and pull the lever every four years and eat shit like the rest of us.

No need to throw a hissy fit or bring emotion into any of this, guys. Just grow up and hate it and pull the lever every four years and eat shit like the rest of us.

There's off year mid-terms too!

hopefully your free Biden test isn't a false positive

I vote for the party that actually gets some social welfare enacted when the other party is almost unanimously opposed to it. You throw hissy fits about that party compared to some hypothetical party of your own mind.

I vote for the party that actually gets some social welfare enacted when the other party is almost unanimously opposed to it. You throw hissy fits about that party compared to some hypothetical party of your own mind.

you really bragging about voting? Oh boy

Aren't false positives incredibly rare? And false negatives much more likely?

so they say - our pediatrician says they see a fair number of false positives.

while it ultimately worked out both times (1 single) and then we had a second time with back-back falsies (this past saturday AM) it was super disruptive, obviously. shut down our daycare room for two weeks b/c protocols

I suppose I rarely take the time to think through and write something that is meant to change anyone’s mind or be overly pragmatic and reasonable given my feelings and emotions about material politics.

During Covid I’ve ruminated a lot on the Michael Brooks quote “be ruthless with systems, be kind to people.” Whenever I see people railing on anti vaxxers or vaccinated people who aren’t willing to mask or vaxxed and masked people who aren’t willing to stay home, I return back to that quote and think about how miserably our government failed us. I feel the same about trump voters or individual politicians, which is to say sympathetic to their humanity and angry at the system who failed them. It doesn’t excuse bad behavior or attitude or belief.

I understand this isn’t a heuristic that works for everyone too. For me it’s far easier to direct my anger at systems than individuals, perhaps because I would like to be afforded the same grace. If I’ve directed an ad hominem at you it was misdirected. I just know a better world is possible.

Back