• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Cory Booker sucks.

Cory Booker is not your friend.

Fresh off a rousing speech against Jeff Sessions’s nomination to become attorney general, Booker voted against an affordable drug proposal from Senators Amy Klobuchar and Bernie Sanders on Wednesday evening. Had it passed, the bill would have created a reserve fund to allow Americans to import inexpensive prescription drugs from Canada. Booker was one of 13 Democrats to reject it, a boon to Big Pharma.

Booker had earned liberal acclaim earlier on Wednesday for his testimony against Sessions’s nomination:

“Senator Sessions has not demonstrated a commitment to a central requirement of the job—to aggressively pursue the congressional mandate of justice for all,” he said. “At numerous times in his career, he has demonstrated a hostility toward these convictions, and has worked to frustrate attempts to advance these ideals.”

Booker is exactly right about Sessions’s record, and his decision to violate Senate norms is admirable. But his rejection of the Sanders-Klobuchar proposal is the latest entry in a legislative record that should worry progressives.

As Newark mayor, he accepted a $100 million donation from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to implement a series of drastic reforms in city schools. According to investigative reporter Dale Russakoff, the people of Newark found out about it from Oprah: Zuckerberg and Booker appeared on the show to announce the grant. Most of the funds later went to charter schools. He’s long been a proponent of school vouchers, despite evidence that voucher programs don’t actually create better educational outcomes for students.

He also has close ties to Silicon Valley and Wall Street. In 2013, this magazine reported that Booker had been late to disclose the extent of his stake in Waywire, a tech startup he helped found during his tenure as mayor. There were other troubles; Waywire also employed Booker’s associates, and CNN’s Jeff Zucker’s then-14 year old child sat on its board. (Booker eventually stepped down from the startup.)

And he handed Mitt Romney an unexpected favor in 2012. On Meet the Press, he called attacks on Romney’s ties to Bain Capital and private equity “nauseating.” It apparently paid off: In 2014, WNYC reported that Booker received more Wall Street funding than any other U.S. senator that election cycle.

Booker clearly has national ambitions. His connections and public image could translate to a viable run for the presidency in 2020. But unless he drastically rethinks his politics, he isn’t the progressive candidate America will need after four years of Donald Trump.

Getting money from Wall Street and Silicon Valley aren't disqualifying in any way. But spending all that $ on vouchers is a bad look for a progressive.

Voting against that legislation at a time like this is a pretty bad look, too.

I may actually like Jeff [Redacted] more than Cory Booker.

Yep Strick, you were right about Booker. I let his diet cloud my judgment, which was foolish. Dems, be very afraid if this man is your candidate in 2020.

Booker's a fine cheerleader, but he shouldn't see the field.

How can I be afraid of Booker when nutjobs like BSF are willing to nominate literally anyone to the right of him on immigration? Yeah, we can't get drugs from Canada, not a big fucking deal in light of Trump.

How can I be afraid of Booker when nutjobs like BSF are willing to nominate literally anyone to the right of him on immigration? Yeah, we can't get drugs from Canada, not a big fucking deal in light of Trump.

I'm saying be afraid because he's fools gold and won't win. I think you need a left leaning populist, unless Trump fucks up so badly anyone can win. Cory is too close to Wall Street.

We need someone with left leaning populist cred but doesn't scare establishment Dems, minorities, or working class whites. Obama did that, but the loyalists in each of those groups started poking holes because he wasn't specifically on their team.

Any educated white collar person with a liberal bone in their body has to be insane over 1 issue to vote for and support a mad man like Donald Trump. That person can't use the same excuses that the down on their luck unemployed manufacturer has.

Any educated white collar person with a liberal bone in their body has to be insane over any issue to vote for and support a total crook like Hillary Clinton. That person has been crooked and spreading lies her entire life and would have our country in ruin!.

Fixed it.

Back