• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

This is going to be big:

So The Squad is taking money from the National Association of Home Builders ?

What do you think of the framework?

Not familiar with it yet. Glad folks are thinking big about hard challenges that we need to face. I also know that there will be some farting cow bullshit pulled out of it to scare old conservatives.

I think that having housing for all Americans is as much of a pipe dream as having zero unemployment. I think it is a mistake to use that sort of absolute language in the statement. It is an important issue, and I have no problems with them addressing it, but I dislike the unattainable claims.

I think that having housing for all Americans is as much of a pipe dream as having zero unemployment. I think it is a mistake to use that sort of absolute language in the statement. It is an important issue, and I have no problems with them addressing it, but I dislike the unattainable claims.

jesus, dude

there are about 138 million housing units in the US and 128 million households

What are you going to do? Have them move into my beach house and I’ll have to summer in the mountains, what do you think I am some kind of animal.

I understand that there is a microscopic portion of the population with such severe mental illness that they may never be able to live outside an institutional setting

beyond that, it's an issue of political will

I understand that there is a microscopic portion of the population with such severe mental illness that they may never be able to live outside an institutional setting

beyond that, it's an issue of political will

An institutional setting is housing.

I have a libertarianish friend who thinks we should bus homeless people to underpopulated rural locations, provide housing and have them set up commune style living.

Not sure about that, but offset of available housing and the homeless would require some serious relocation.

I have a libertarianish friend who thinks we should bus poor people to underpopulated rural locations, provide housing and have them set up commune style living.

That seems pretty far from libertarianism.

I have a libertarianish friend who thinks we should bus homeless people to underpopulated rural locations, provide housing and have them set up commune style living.

Not sure about that, but offset of available housing and the homeless would require some serious relocation.

The alternative is to build more housing in cities with rates of homelessness, though that would take a lot of organizing to remove barriers imposed by exclusionary zoning practices, etc.

Juice, what's your take on the YIMBYs?

I would love to see the look on all the faces of rural Republicans if that ever came to pass. Urban homeless being moved into rural areas and small towns? Rural folk would have a cow. It would probably make all the whining over the recent gun control legislation in VA look tame.

I would love to see the look on all the faces of rural Republicans if that ever came to pass. Urban homeless being moved into rural areas and small towns? Rural folk would have a cow. It would probably make all the whining over the recent gun control legislation in VA look tame.

Meh. A lot of those rural Republicans would be homeless too if they were trying to afford to live in ridiculously expensive big cities.

But yeah, that idea is definitely not libertarian.

Back