• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

A lot of urban homeless are new arrivals to the city. You'd actually be sending a lot of them back where they came from.

Also, would be pretty stagmatizing to be born and raised in such a place, or did your friends Libertarian Utopia also include sterilization ?

A lot of urban homeless are new arrivals to the city. You'd actually be sending a lot of them back where they came from.

Also, would be pretty stagmatizing to be born and raised in such a place, or did your friends Libertarian Utopia also include sterilization ?

unless they become a race of Supermen

For the record, he wouldn't coerce anyone. His position was "If you want free housing, here's the deal. Take it or leave it."

The alternative is to build more housing in cities with rates of homelessness, though that would take a lot of organizing to remove barriers imposed by exclusionary zoning practices, etc.

Juice, what's your take on the YIMBYs?

not as good as the PHIMBYs

I think that having housing for all Americans is as much of a pipe dream as having zero unemployment. I think it is a mistake to use that sort of absolute language in the statement. It is an important issue, and I have no problems with them addressing it, but I dislike the unattainable claims.

lol wtf

the best solution to homelessness is housing with on-site supportive services from behavioral health professionals

the problem with the rural idea is that it is going to be far from amenities and there will be zero public transit

I suppose it depends on which stripe of YIMBY

the general pro-density version with the neoclassical economic supply-demand argument for reducing price by increasing supply is off base, in my view, but still preferable to the NIMBY crowd

the type that includes additional non-market measures for requiring affordability are more palatable

the best solution to homelessness is housing with on-site supportive services from behavioral health professionals

the problem with the rural idea is that it is going to be far from amenities and there will be zero public transit

This. It isn't a problem to have housing available for every person. The problem is that some people won't want to take it due to location or mental issues or family situations or personal preference even. So if you want to say that there is a place for every person to go, sure. But you aren't going to get every homeless person to live in that housing.

Also, addressing homelessness is not just about physical dwellings. It requires a change to the entire social support structure. You can't just fix the symptoms, you have to cure the underlying problems.

yeah! put that on the poster! not housing for all!

i do like this:

shopping

This. It isn't a problem to have housing available for every person. The problem is that some people won't want to take it due to location or mental issues or family situations or personal preference even. So if you want to say that there is a place for every person to go, sure. But you aren't going to get every homeless person to live in that housing.

Also, addressing homelessness is not just about physical dwellings. It requires a change to the entire social support structure. You can't just fix the symptoms, you have to cure the underlying problems.

the group of folks who "won't want to take [housing]" if offered is a very tiny group and misses the forest for the trees

much of the plan is about addressing 1) inadequate housing, 2) affordability, 3) real estate speculation, and 4) tenants' rights

here is an article that covers the seven planks of the platform, including addressing some of the structural problems at play, including mental health: https://www.curbed.com/2020/1/29/21...housing-platform-congress-legislation-housing

I suppose it depends on which stripe of YIMBY

the general pro-density version with the neoclassical economic supply-demand argument for reducing price by increasing supply is off base, in my view, but still preferable to the NIMBY crowd

the type that includes additional non-market measures for requiring affordability are more palatable

The only part of the debate that I despise is how tenant advocates have been lumped in with the NIMBYs. It's less bad in DC, but it's horrible in California.

What are the non-market measures that you have seen? I'm generally sympathetic to the YIMBY argument, but don't like how many of them equate market fundamentalism with housing justice.

The Squad > the rest

I have a libertarianish friend who thinks we should bus homeless people to underpopulated rural locations, provide housing and have them set up commune style living.

Not sure about that, but offset of available housing and the homeless would require some serious relocation.

Sounds like a great way to turn some red states to blue.

Sounds like a great way to turn some red states to blue.

Caravans of libruls disguised as homeless people sneaking into rural Arkansas and then once they get there they start recycling and shit.

Back