• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/649/its-my-party-and-ill-try-if-i-want-to

Really interesting this American life episode on the on going battle within the Democratic Party, focuses on NYs 19th district.

Good listen, thanks for posting. Pennsylvania has similar rules regarding petitions to get on the ballot. Interesting that they say it costs $200K to get the signatures needed. One way having a lot of volunteers can neutralize the advantage of money.

There are three Dems in the race that have spent more than $1 million. There will certainly be a fracturing of the vote with so many people running. One to watch tonight.

Bloomberg would have taken more Dem votes than Republican votes. Unless he just was a total attack dog in the debates. Even then, he likely would have taken more votes from Hillary than Trump.

Bloomberg would have taken more Dem votes than Republican votes. Unless he just was a total attack dog in the debates. Even then, he likely would have taken more votes from Hillary than Trump.

You're right RJ, plus Bloomberg would have taken votes from Trump in states that Hillary won. He'd have done well in the North East and no where else. Probably would have made FL and PA bigger wins for Trump.

Good listen, thanks for posting. Pennsylvania has similar rules regarding petitions to get on the ballot. Interesting that they say it costs $200K to get the signatures needed. One way having a lot of volunteers can neutralize the advantage of money.

There are three Dems in the race that have spent more than $1 million. There will certainly be a fracturing of the vote with so many people running. One to watch tonight.

....and he lost to the big money candidate.

eh, in 30 years she'll be the one MDMH hates for occasionally not voting progressive enough

Get more votes and you win. That's the way elections work.

Please see the results of the 2016 presidential election.

The Presidential election is the one provision here, although it is based on getting more votes in selected subsections of the total population.

....and he lost to the big money candidate.

Hard to beat money that kind of money. Although, based on their answers to questions, it kind of seemed like the big money guy had more volunteers. (And the vote was so fractured he won with 22% of the vote.)

And, apropos of nothing, he was a rapper:

I don't know if the district has been redrawn over the years, but Wiki has it voting HW - Clinton - W - W - Obama - Obama - Trump.

pragmatism, a desire to keep her constituents happy but mainly keeping her seat

the constituents who voted for her platform over the guy who has 10 terms of pragmatism?

and chrisL out here acting like all you gotta do is port forth the best candidates and ideas and the voters will follow through, as if money and party leadership don't change the landscape

the constituents who voted for her platform over the guy who has 10 terms of pragmatism?

and chrisL out here acting like all you gotta do is port forth the best candidates and ideas and the voters will follow through, as if money and party leadership don't change the landscape

yeah, good luck not delivering on your promises in a real world scenario and seeing if your constituents keep voting you in

pragmatism, a desire to keep her constituents happy but mainly keeping her seat
If she becomes a career politician who kowtows to corporate and lobbyist concerns as opposed to her constituents needs, then yes I will critisize her. Why would I not hold elected officials accountable to the party platform?

Back