• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Well said. If you voted for Trump, you either support the rise of white nationalism or it wasn't a deal breaker.

Yes, but, there have been hyperbolic statements about opposing candidates for decades. Romney was a racist because of his association with the Mormon Church and he was an animal hater because he put his dog on the roof of his car. Obama was a Muslim communist, George W. Bush was an idiot drug addict...Voting for Trump, for me, at least, isn't the starting point for my disdain. I could see some people just assuming that the characterizations of Trump as a misogynistic bigot with small hands as just hyperbolic assertions in the heat of a campaign...however, 6 months into this awful administration and with the manifestation of actually racist policies and cabinet appointments, if you are still supporting him, then I'd question your morals, sanity and our friendship.

"Hyberbolic statements?" The white nationalists themselves were getting hyped for Trump. He spoke their language and they celebrated him. It wasn't about characterizations. Republicans willingly joined the white nationalists and took on the label of "deplorable" in a show of unity.

"Hyberbolic statements?" The white nationalists themselves were getting hyped for Trump. He spoke their language and they celebrated him. It wasn't about characterizations. Republicans willingly joined the white nationalists and took on the label of "deplorable" in a show of unity.

Absolutely. This time around the statements were not actually hyperbolic, they may have been under estimating Trumps racist proclivities, but I can accept the possibility that someone thought they were hyperbolic statements because that person wasn't really paying attention. Just because someone voted for Trump, it doesn't make them "ok" with white nationalism, it is possible they weren't paying attention and assumed all the assertions of racism were hyperbolic, as per usual in a campaign. The original post was about Liberal intolerance of Trump voters, and I am saying that I don't cut it off with voters because not everyone pays attention like we do around the tunnels. However, I have little to no tolerance for people still support the man.

It was very, very clear leading up to the election that if Trump won the presidency then the result would be something similar to what we are experiencing. I refuse to accept anybody saying otherwise. Trump is who we thought he was, and he has shown this over the past 7 years (ever since the Obama Birther conspiracy that he helped spawn).

Even casting aside what I feel are his egregious sexist and racist overtones and viewpoints, he has never been involved in politics before up to this point. He is a businessman who has run 4 companies into bankruptcy and effectively just cares about getting his name on buildings rather than running successful businesses.

Even if he was a fantastic businessman, it was a bad idea to vote somebody into the White House who wants to run America like a business with no political experience.

He has absolutely no idea what he is doing, no idea how to work with Congress and the systems in place, no idea how the judicial, executive, and legislative branches work together, and quite frankly, not a damn idea on how to help better America.

He only cares about himself, and when you add in the fact that he has no political experience, a VP who believes in electroshock therapy for homosexuals, and is easily manipulated by nearly any group (if you don't think that he is racist then you must admit and concede the point that he has been almost complete accepted and played by white nationalist groups), it is unfathomable to me how anybody could have voted for him in the first place unless it was a vote against Clinton.

Casting a vote because you didn't think somebody would win and then rationalizing it away when it has become clear that the man is a threat to nearly everybody in America is completely unacceptable.

I have no problems with the people who dislike Clinton because she had a lot going on. What you cannot say is that she was not experience in legislation, governance, and politics overall. Even if you disliked her as a person, she would have been a status quo president who is nowhere near the threat that Trump is to America's safety and long term future.

It's mind-boggling that 3 years into this whole Trump experience that people still don't get that.

Last edited:
It was very, very clear leading up to the election that if Trump won the presidency then the result would be something similar to what we are experiencing. I refuse to accept anybody saying otherwise. Trump is who we thought he was, and he has shown this over the past 7 years (ever since the Obama Birther conspiracy that he helped spawn).

Even casting aside what I feel are his egregious sexist and racist overtones and viewpoints, he has never been involved in politics before up to this point. He is a businessman who has run 4 companies into bankruptcy and effectively just cares about getting his name on buildings rather than running successful businesses.

Even if he was a fantastic businessman, it was a bad idea to vote somebody into the White House who wants to run America like a business with no political experience.

He has absolutely no idea what he is doing, no idea how to work with Congress and the systems in place, no idea how the judicial, executive, and legislative branches work together, and quite frankly, not a damn idea on how to help better America.

He only cares about himself, and when you add in the fact that he has no political experience, a VP who believes in electroshock therapy for homosexuals, and is easily manipulated by nearly any group (if you don't think that he is racist then you must admit and concede the point that he has been almost complete accepted and played by white nationalist groups), it is unfathomable to me how anybody could have voted for him in the first place unless it was a vote against Clinton.

Casting a vote because you didn't think somebody would win and then rationalizing it away when it has become clear that the man is a threat to nearly everybody in America is completely unacceptable.

I have no problems with the people who dislike Clinton because she had a lot going on. What you cannot say is that she was not experience in legislation, governance, and politics overall. Even if you disliked her as a person, she would have been a status quo president who is nowhere near the threat that Trump is to America's safety and long term future.

It's mind-boggling that 3 years into this whole Trump experience that people still don't get that.

I think a huge proportion of Trump voters knew exactly what they were voting for and did so enthusiastically. However some proportion didn't, a vast majority of Americans are highly unengaged and don't pay attention. They certaintly did not pay attention the way you did/do and have no idea who Richard Spencer is and didn't know he endorsed Trump; they believed that Trump was joking about "bad Hombre" type comments; they didn't take the "He's a racist' rhetoric seriously because it had been casually bandied about in they past for obviously not racist candidates. My father in law for example voted for the man because he really dislike's Clinton and didn't believe all the stuff about Trump. He's not a racist he just wasn't paying attention and has since started to regret his vote a turn against Trump. I can accept that position and I've concluded that being a Trump voter doesn't automatically disqualify you from my friend list...still being a Trump supporter does though.

Last edited:
Doc, deplorable was a genius gimmick! Come on, it was celebrated because folks were tired of being called bigots and dumb if they supported Trump.

Except Hillary also said Trump supporters were hard working people who didn't think government was working for them. They chose to align with the white nationalists instead of hard working people angry with government.

I think a huge proportion of Trump voters knew exactly what they were voting for and did so enthusiastically. However some proportion didn't, a vast majority of Americans are highly unengaged and don't pay attention. They certaintly did not pay attention the way you did/do and have no idea who Richard Spencer is and didn't know he endorsed Trump; they believe that Trump was joking about "bad Hombre" type comments; they didn't take the "He's a racist rhetoric seriously because it had been casually bandied about in they past for obviously not racist candidates. My father in law for example voted for the man because he really dislike's Clinton and didn't believe all the stuff about Trump. He's not a racist he just wasn't paying attention and has since started to regret his vote a turn against Trump. I can accept that position and I've concluded that being a Trump voter doesn't automatically disqualify you from my friend list...still being a Trump supporter does though.

This is a very good post and I agree wholeheartedly.

I have had discussions with a couple of friends who, when brought up the LGBTQ concerns about Pence simply dismissed it as hyperbolic rhetoric and "freaking out for no reason."

From the "Hillary can't hurt you anymore" department.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...licans-clinton-wont-be-on-the-ballot-in-2018/

enten-housetrump-1.png

It's kind of stunning that people who hated both candidates didn't go third party more-that gray segment (admittedly by eye test) doesn't look much higher than the 5ish percent that third party candidates picked up among all voters.

Trump ran like a third party candidate and Johnson and Stein were jokes. Stein was part of the Russian Trump conspiracy anyway.

Last edited:
Absolutely. This time around the statements were not actually hyperbolic, they may have been under estimating Trumps racist proclivities, but I can accept the possibility that someone thought they were hyperbolic statements because Democrats have, at least according to themselves, never run against someone who wasn't the Worst Person in the World(TM). Just because someone voted for Trump, it doesn't make them "ok" with white nationalism, it is possible that everyone has long ago tuned out the standing Dem accusation of racism. This might actually by the wolf Dems have been screaming about at every turn for 25 years.

This was a pretty good original post by birdman, who is a pretty good poster. I made it even better, because that's what I do.

If you went from Bernie to Trump, then that is a straight "burn this mother down" vote. I talked to a few Trump supporters who claim they would have considered voting for Bernie, which just makes 0 sense politically.

If you went from Bernie to Trump, then that is a straight "bern this mother down" vote. I talked to a few Trump supporters who claim they would have considered voting for Bernie, which just makes 0 sense politically.

Close.

Back