• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

What happened to compassionate conservatives?

The term always was a lie. If you have to tell me how smart you are I've probably already noticed how dumb you are. If you have to say outloud how much compassion you have I've probably never seen you behave with any.

Right. So he kissed Trump’s ring like all Republicans have to do.

Right. So he kissed Trump’s ring like all Republicans have to do.

No doubt. I'm sure his joining the GOP will be portrayed as an example of how "sane and reasonable" Democrats are being driven out of the party by "extremists", "radicals", or some such. They'll play his defection for all its worth - as long as he stays blindly loyal to Trump.

Which would be projection given how they treated Amash.

A poll taken in his district since he announced he wouldn't vote for impeachment showed that over 60% of Democrats in his district wanted another candidate next year. He probably sees the primary challenge handwriting on the wall, and is jumping ship to try and hang on to the seat.

Wonder if Tanzie Youngblood will run on the Dem side in NJ2. Van Drew beat her in the primary last year, but who else is ready to take him on? That district is historically fairly moderate, but these are historically crazy times.

Wonder if Tanzie Youngblood will run on the Dem side in NJ2. Van Drew beat her in the primary last year, but who else is ready to take him on? That district is historically fairly moderate, but these are historically crazy times.

Maybe a former Mayor of AC can run. I think their probation periods are over by now.

Democrats had wanted Jeff van Drew to run for Congress for a number of years. And he generally flirted with a run each cycle. But he didn't actually jump into the race until the incumbent Republican decided to retire rather than face a potentially tough reelection in 2018. The state Dem establishment and the DCCC backed him quickly, which angered some given his A rating with the NRA and anti-LGBT voting record. Dems defended their position arguing that they needed a conservative Dem to win that district. (Meanwhile van Drew signaled movement leftward.) Republicans ended up having a rough time recruiting a candidate in the district, and basically punted after an openly racist dude won the Republican primary.

Now JVD goes on Fox News to criticize impeachment. (While voting with Dems more often than members of the Squad.) So it will be interesting to see what happens next year. Given past recruiting issues, maybe this is the best chance for Republicans to pick up the seat. But a Republican primary opponent will have plenty to use against him given his voting record. Also, I realize that polling and some threats from establishment Dems in NJ have him spooked, but I think it would have been tough for a Dem challenger to beat him in a primary.

Anyway, I'm sure Republicans, particularly Trump, will love the switch. But it seems like it would have more impact coming out a week from now? I hope the media doesn't treat him as part of "bipartisan support" against impeachment, unless they start counting Amash the same way.

Rant over.

Freshman Dems in much tougher districts than Jeff van Drew:

Freshman Dems in much tougher districts than Jeff van Drew:

Hell yeah!

avalon, have you watched Knock Down the House yet? If not, then I think you would love it.

Back