• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ite-liberal-college-graduates-least-tolerant/

Commenting on a recent finding that many Democrats would have trouble continuing a friendship with anyone who is pro-President Trump, Harvard Law Professor Adrian Vermeule remarked that the least tolerant among us are “white liberal college graduates.”
A recent survey by the Pew Research Center found that 35 percent of Democrats believed that a friend’s vote for Donald Trump would “strain” their relationship. Among white Democrats, the figure is even higher, with 40 percent saying that they would have trouble maintaining a friendship with someone who supported Trump. Nearly half (47 percent) of those who described themselves as “liberal” Democrats said their friendship would suffer with someone who favored Trump.

By contrast, the share of Republicans who say that a friend’s vote for Hillary Clinton would strain their relationship was a mere 13 percent, just over a third the number of Democrats who say that a friend’s vote for Trump would do the same:

With these data in hand, Vermeule, who is the Ralph S. Tyler professor of Constitutional Law at Harvard Law School, tweeted that, indeed, white liberal college graduates are “the least tolerant” in society, highlighting the three categories most radically affected by a person’s contrary political ideas:

Follow
Adrian Vermeule @avermeule
The least tolerant among us: white liberal college graduates. https://twitter.com/tebtunis/status/888448609838092288
7:24 PM - 21 Jul 2017
25 25 Retweets 42 42 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
In a Twitter conversation that ensued, Vermeule suggested that on average Democrats and Republicans look at politics differently, which explains its differing effects on one’s personal life and relationships.

Liberalism, he stated, “makes an idol of politics,” and thus, political dissent is looked upon as heresy. In the case of conservatives, however, politics plays a different role. “The data show that Republicans are more politically tolerant,” he said, because “politics isn’t as likely to be an idol, on average.”

In other words, Republicans tend to be more politically detached, with politics playing a less central role in their existence, meaning that they can more easily overlook a friend’s contrary political opinions without it jeopardizing their relationship.

Citing a recent piece from the Washington Post, one commenter proposed that perhaps Democrats live in a bubble and, therefore, are more hostile to contrary opinions. The WaPo article declared that “Democrats tend to be more insulated from dissenting political voices,” and, therefore, “they don’t hear and don’t want to hear those voices coming from their friends’ mouths.”

To this theory, Vermeule responded that he believes such “sociological explanations” are insufficient to fully get to the bottom of the differences between liberals and conservatives in relation to politics.

As long as he has a teacher with a shred of morals, he'll be fine. Your (alleged) students, however...

Just admit that you love the President more than you love facts, morals, or this country. You'll feel better after unburdening yourself.

my stalkers have irresistible, unnatural and irrational urges

mods, could you refer them to a reputable shrink

He makes this preposterous assertion but refuses to answer : What irresistible, unnatural, irrational urges? Be specific...

Everyone should ask to answer and be specific.

learn! (if you can)

There is a difference in judging someone because of their party affiliation, and judging someone because they make terrible choices. If Democrats ran OJ Simpson and Republicans ran Mitt Romney, would you think it odd that more people would be disgusted with those who voted for OJ Simpson?

I guess that's why that guy is a law professor and not psych or sociology.

Last edited:
I have no problem saying that I have either: ended relationships with acquaintances, or distanced myself from acquaintances who admitted they voted for Trump. I mean wholeheartedly when I say that, as a whole, I do not want to continue to be engaged with somebody who supports a man who holds Trump's points-of-view. I believe they are awful for America and awful for the future of America.

I will say that not a lot of people in my social circle voted for Trump, which the article points out. I believe this has less to do with our political beliefs, and more of a "this dude is fucking crazy, why would we vote for him to lead our country?" point-of-view.

It's important to point out that in 2008 and 2012 (the only two elections that I have voted in), there was no stress whatsoever between myself and friends/acquaintances who voted differently. I didn't voted for Romney in 2012, but he was a legitimate candidate who ran on conservative ideals and would have done fine as the POTUS. I only disagreed with him on his views, not the type of person that he was/is. Many of my friends voted for Romney and we had a lot of interesting dialogue on the topics at hand and how Obama and Romney differed on how to handle them.

If it makes me intolerant to not want to engage eople who voted for somebody who I personally believes embodies the worst part of America, then so be it, but I owe to my friends/acquaintances who are currently being targeted by the policies and rhetoric of the Trump/Pence administration to speak against those ideals.

Last edited:
I have no problem saying that I have either: ended relationships with acquaintances, or distanced myself from acquaintances who admitted they voted for Trump. I mean wholeheartedly when I say that, as a whole, I do not want to continue to be engaged with somebody who supports a man who holds Trump's points-of-view. I believe they are awful for America and awful for the future of America.

I will say that not a lot of people in my social circle voted for Trump, which the article points out. I believe this has less to do with our political beliefs, and more of a "this dude is fucking crazy, why would we vote for him to lead our country?" point-of-view.

It's important to point out that in 2008 and 2012 (the only two elections that I have voted in), there was no stress whatsoever between myself and friends/acquaintances who voted differently. I didn't voted for Romney in 2012, but he was a legitimate candidate who ran on conservative ideals and would have done fine as the POTUS. I only disagreed with him on his views, not the type of person that he was/is. Many of my friends voted for Romney and we had a lot of interesting dialogue on the topics at hand and how Obama and Romney differed on how to handle them.

If it makes me intolerant to not want to engage eople who voted for somebody who I personally believes embodies the worst part of America, then so be it, but I owe to my friends/acquaintances who are currently being targeted by the policies and rhetoric of the Trump/Pence administration to speak against those ideals.

Well said. If you voted for Trump, you either support the rise of white nationalism or it wasn't a deal breaker.

Back