• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

A city full of progressives and super progressives decide that the progressive shit they are doing is too much and decide to try something different as seen by the massive percentage voting for the scaled back different. It’s real easy to say all your ideas are great until you are directly faced with the consequences.

A city full of progressives and super progressives decide that the progressive shit they are doing is too much and decide to try something different as seen by the massive percentage voting for the scaled back different. It’s real easy to say all your ideas are great until you are directly faced with the consequences.

“Super progressives doing progressive shit” crazy how vibes changed when these “super progressives” actually had to live with the poverty and crime they had previously been sweeping out of their sight.

Thinking more deeply on it, maybe the terms “progressive” and “progressive shit” aren’t really broad enough to capture the depth of societal problems and their proposed solutions

It’s sad to see so many allegedly intelligent people fall for an article like that, but confirmation bias is a real thing I suppose. Why so many allegedly liberal people seemingly get off on conservative propaganda is, frankly, weird. Too much schadenfreude is gonna turn y’all into a buncha bkf-like weirdos.

Liberals claiming that permissive property & drug crime policy is failure in San Francisco , Republicans claiming that gun free zones and gun restrictions are a failure in Chicago. It’s almost as if city policies aren’t able to solve national problems.

Where does the money come from for all of the public assistance programs that our evil society provides? It comes from taxpayers and tax-paying businesses. Working and making money is not a bad thing, neither is a safety net for our most vulnerable citizens. But when the taxpayers do not feel safe in the city to whom they provide those funds, you have a problem. Ensuring the safety of your constituents should not be a "conservative" principle.

So again, I think it's a valid question to ask why a major metro area controlled exclusively by liberals is failing.

To be fair, a huge portion of the money in government at all levels is just printed by DoT.

Where does the money come from for all of the public assistance programs that our evil society provides? It comes from taxpayers and tax-paying businesses. Working and making money is not a bad thing, neither is a safety net for our most vulnerable citizens. But when the taxpayers do not feel safe in the city to whom they provide those funds, you have a problem. Ensuring the safety of your constituents should not be a "conservative" principle.

So again, I think it's a valid question to ask why a major metro area controlled exclusively by liberals is failing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_areas_by_per_capita_income

2nd and 4th highest incomes per capita are from the Bay Area

Is that failing? Sure it has a homeless problem but it’s doing a hell of a lot better than any city run by conservatives.

You could also ask why your childishly simplistic taxonomy of political ideology isn’t doing you as many favors as you think

Political education is shit in this country. These conversations suck because everyone has different understandings of liberal, progressive, left, and therefore a wrong interpretation of who runs major metro areas.

Lol

Political education is shit in this country. These conversations suck because everyone has different understandings of liberal, progressive, left, and therefore a wrong interpretation of who runs major metro areas.

How would one classify London Breed’s politics, for example? She runs SF and sounds pretty ideologically similar to a lot of y’all schadenfreuders and urban decline concern trolls.

If SF is failing, then maybe y’all need to take a look inward?

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Ok, hear me out. Picture this...A Horseshoe...

Still workshopping that one

Last edited:
I disagree completely, I think it’s a dogshit article written for moderate liberals whose major concern is criminalizing poverty. Moderate liberals wholly benefiting from speculative capitalism and blaming the consequences of that capitalism on “permissive” progressives. In that whole dogshit screed you posted, written by the heiress to a fortune, the only sensible pragmatic moderate solution proposed for anything is London Breed putting more police officers downtown. It’s the hallmark of current liberal doctrine to concern troll about the housing crunch by complaining about burdensome building regulations, without *EVER* addressing what they want built and who is going to build it. Bitching about building regulations is meaningless if you aren’t going to ever address the intentions of developers, who aren’t building lower class and lower-middle class homes, because those aren’t profitable. You just have the bullshit trickle down real estate theory that if you build enough expensive homes that cheaper livable ones will free up.

*profitable enough

I’d gotten used to the crime, rarely violent but often brazen; to leaving the car empty and the doors unlocked so thieves would at least quit breaking my windows. A lot of people leave notes on the glass stating some variation of Nothing’s in the car. Don't smash the windows. One time someone smashed our windows just to steal a scarf. Once, when I was walking and a guy tore my jacket off my back and sprinted away with it, I didn’t even shout for help. I was embarrassed—what was I, a tourist? Living in a failing city does weird things to you. The normal thing to do then was to yell, to try to get help—even, dare I say it, from a police officer—but this felt somehow lame and maybe racist.

ok, I stopped reading after this paragraph, and I'm embarrassed I read that far.

That Bowles article is hilariously bad. Sorry, guys, Here’s a good rebuttal, though:

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...-says-sf-failed-because-its-liberal?_amp=true

These data points don’t fit the preconceived narrative that is the hallmark of cheap punditry, which brings us back to the Bowles analysis. A former New York Times reporter now contributing to the Substack blog run by her wife, the conservative commentator Bari Weiss

oh, well that tracks

Back