• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

It's amazing how fast they eat their own. They're fucking animals.

True, but that's how authoritarian parties often work historically. There is always intense competition among the underlings to keep the favor of Dear Leader, and the leader periodically "purges" the party leadership to keep people frightened enough that they stay in line and will do whatever he tells them to. Hitler famously had a Nazi Party purge not long after he become dictator - the "Night of the Long Knives", wherein, with Hitler's approval, Brownshirts leader Ernest Rohm and other Brownshirt leaders were killed in a party purge led by Rohm's rivals, Heinrich Himmler and Hermann Goring. Given all the GOP pols competing for Trump's endorsement and approval (there have been GOP primaries this year where candidates brag about how they're more loyal to Trump than their opponents, even when Trump endorsed someone else), and the widespread expectations of a GOP red wave this November, the jockeying for power in the party and Trump's approval is at a fever pitch. As the party's chief media organ Fox is most certainly involved in all this as well.

Great article from the Atlantic last week:

HOW SAN FRANCISCO BECAME A FAILED CITY And how it could recover

I've clipped some tidbits I found interesting for those without a subscription, with the bold being something that I have thought about A LOT lately; usually more so with regard to left vs right, but perhaps that's the bulk of the problem. We're not as close to a utopia as the radical left thinks, and we're not as close to a hellscape as the radical right thinks, but it's up to the respective centers to keep that in check:

"There is a sense that, on everything from housing to schools, San Francisco has lost the plot—that progressive leaders here have been LARPing left-wing values instead of working to create a livable city. And many San Franciscans have had enough."

"Residents had hoped Boudin would reform the criminal-justice system and treat low-level offenders more humanely. Instead, critics argued that his policies victimized victims, allowed criminals to go free to reoffend, and did nothing to help the city’s most vulnerable. To understand just how noteworthy Boudin’s defenestration is, please keep in mind that San Francisco has only a tiny number of Republicans. This fight is about leftists versus liberals. It’s about idealists who think a perfect world is within reach—it’ll only take a little more time, a little more commitment, a little more funding, forever—and those who are fed up."

"This approach to drug use and homelessness is distinctly San Franciscan, blending empathy-driven progressivism with California libertarianism. The roots of this belief system reach back to the ’60s, when hippies filled the streets with tents and weed. The city has always had a soft spot for vagabonds, and an admirable focus on care over punishment. Policy makers and residents largely embraced the exciting idea that people should be able to do whatever they want to do, including live in tent cities and have fun with drugs and make their own medical decisions, even if they are out of their mind sometimes. But then fentanyl arrived, and more and more people started dying in those tents. When the pandemic began, the drug crisis got worse."

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Ok, hear me out. Picture this...A Horseshoe...

I assume San Francisco suffers from the same problem that Austin does, which is that all the local municipalities send there homeless there with one way bus tickets.

Sadly benevolent cities like these will never succeed in our heartless and cruel society.

Great article from the Atlantic last week:

I disagree completely, I think it’s a dogshit article written for moderate liberals whose major concern is criminalizing poverty. Moderate liberals wholly benefiting from speculative capitalism and blaming the consequences of that capitalism on “permissive” progressives. In that whole dogshit screed you posted, written by the heiress to a fortune, the only sensible pragmatic moderate solution proposed for anything is London Breed putting more police officers downtown. It’s the hallmark of current liberal doctrine to concern troll about the housing crunch by complaining about burdensome building regulations, without *EVER* addressing what they want built and who is going to build it. Bitching about building regulations is meaningless if you aren’t going to ever address the intentions of developers, who aren’t building lower class and lower-middle class homes, because those aren’t profitable. You just have the bullshit trickle down real estate theory that if you build enough expensive homes that cheaper livable ones will free up.

I disagree completely, I think it’s a dogshit article written for moderate liberals whose major concern is criminalizing poverty. Moderate liberals wholly benefiting from speculative capitalism and blaming the consequences of that capitalism on “permissive” progressives. In that whole dogshit screed you posted, written by the heiress to a fortune, the only sensible pragmatic moderate solution proposed for anything is London Breed putting more police officers downtown. It’s the hallmark of current liberal doctrine to concern troll about the housing crunch by complaining about burdensome building regulations, without *EVER* addressing what they want built and who is going to build it. Bitching about building regulations is meaningless if you aren’t going to ever address the intentions of developers, who aren’t building lower class and lower-middle class homes, because those aren’t profitable. You just have the bullshit trickle down real estate theory that if you build enough expensive homes that cheaper livable ones will free up.

this is the content I come back to my own thread for

giphy.gif

TIL being against crime makes one a moderate.

You’re a goddamned moron. Californian homeless encampment populations are driven by a hospitable climate. How fucking stupid do you have to be to live in one of the most expensive parts of the world *because of the climate* and wonder why all these homeless people, who live outside, would also prefer that climate? It doesn’t take a fucking genius. “What are all these ants doing at my picnic! They’re stealing my food!”

A durr durr durr I don’t like crime why do you leftists like crime so much??

The nice things in life are only for those who are worthy. wealth is a sign of worth in this toxic individualistic country.

What’s wild to me is she starts that stupid fucking essay with 1000 words about becoming numb to stepping over homeless people in San Francisco, and then literally has nothing else to say about that for the rest of the essay, but I guess Asian American families being pissed about leftists removing the entrance exam to an elite high school is some how connected.

Seems like it’s a pretty good article spelling out what happens when fantasy world collided with real world.

TIL being against crime makes one a moderate.

Are moderates really opposed to white collar crime? Or is it just crimes committed by the less desirable portion of our society.

Seems like it’s a pretty good article spelling out what happens when fantasy world collided with real world.

In the “real world” rubber meets the road, shit head yuppie liberal personas don’t hold up when they can’t tolerate the consequences of the inequity they benefit from. Not so easy to be a granola eating douchebag when homeless people are dying on your 4 million dollar stoop. Let them die in county jail instead.

I guarantee you more homeless people have been arrested in San Fransisco than rich elites who brought down our economy in 2008 or scammed the government for handouts during COVID.

Our economic and business climate is filled with people who commit white collar crimes on a daily basis and we do nothing about it.

I think it's entirely valid to ask why a major city run entirely by liberals, and perhaps the most liberal major city in this country, is failing. And I don't think the answer is that they haven't been progressive enough.

Moderate MAGA, except instead of pining for the racist Norman Rockwell Leave It To Beaver fantasy of the 1940s, it’s pining for the Dot Com Boom era Bill Clinton 90s when boomers had just gotten rich, and before their children grew up and learned that boomers had fucked their future with climate pollution and short term greed driven global-corporate Economic policy

granted, it's probably easier to find a homeless person violating a law than investigating insurance fraud or embezzlement

but when you incentivize numbers you're going to incentive dumb LE behavior

Last edited:
Where does the money come from for all of the public assistance programs that our evil society provides? It comes from taxpayers and tax-paying businesses. Working and making money is not a bad thing, neither is a safety net for our most vulnerable citizens. But when the taxpayers do not feel safe in the city to whom they provide those funds, you have a problem. Ensuring the safety of your constituents should not be a "conservative" principle.

So again, I think it's a valid question to ask why a major metro area controlled exclusively by liberals is failing.

Back