• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

Sore loser. Been the system forever. Algore said the same thing in 2000. Truth is the Libs only get their majority of votes up the liberal East Coast in a concentrated area and out in the whacked out West coast with the fruits of Jerry Brown plus the nuts of Minnesota. They vote the dead in Illinois so that may never get straightened out again, especially with OBummer going back there to reunite with his pal Rahm. If The Donald starts getting all the illegals who get to vote back where they came from and Attorney General Giuliani can stop Governor's like Terry McAuliffe [and Tim Kaine who contemplated it before him] from pardoning the 206,000 convicted felons in the state of VA so they could start voting for Dems again, this country could get straightened out.

Yep, this appears to be the best argument mustered. Been there forever, dead people vote. One person, one vote, counted equally, is the only fair way to do this -- and all of you know it.

Article on the archaic EC system here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/us/politics/the-electoral-college-is-hated-by-many-so-why-does-it-endure.html?_r=0

Last edited:
Member when marriage was between a man and a woman? Oh yeeeeah! I member!

Trump got fewer votes in from a larger pool than Mitt got in 2012. Trump also got less than McCain did as well and only 400,000 than Kerry. You shouldn't lose to someone who got less votes than the previous three losing candidates.

So this fact just isn't true. According to CNN, Trump has roughly 59,875,000 votes. Romney ended with 59,090,000, McCain 58,319,000 and Kerry 59,028,000. In fact, one four times in history has someone gotten more votes than Trump. One of those times just happens to be this year.

Here is a good article on the topic - http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

If you want to understand the Trump phenomenon, dig up the much more detailed county map. Here's how the nation voted county by county in the 2012 election -- again, red is Republican:
577531_v1.jpg
The country is lava.
Holy cockslaps, that makes it look like Obama's blue party is some kind of fringe political faction that struggles to get 20 percent of the vote.

You don't have to agree with his opinions about stuff like Black Lives Matter or anything else, bobknightfan had this whole thing nailed. So much more so than most of the experts on here on either side. I've disagreed with him about every major political item the past few years since he made his heel turn, but he had this thing diagnosed before Brexit.

People are fed up with "elites" and they still voted for Trump for some reason. For lots of people, it was because "he spoke his mind" and didn't police his language carefully. He hearkened back to a time when men led households, women knew their place, and there was an order of things. He acknowledged the fact that we lost jobs overseas. Even if you disagree with why they left (trade agreements, automation, regulation), they're gone, and Trump at least acknowledged it while Hillary ran on "are you better off than you were before Obama?"

I don't particularly like bobknightfan, but I respect his acumen. I've definitely self-selected a group of friends that are a lot like me when it comes to politics and taste. I don't agree that it makes me a spoiled millennial brat, but who cares about that part?

Trump found a segment of the population that was anxious about their current and future job prospects and exploited the fact that they felt marginalized by both parties going on almost 20 years. Economic fear in middle America apparently played a huge role in motivating voters to get out and vote for Trump.

They voted trump cause everyone always votes the celebrity and person you'd rather have a beer with. Y'all way overthinking this

This election is more a story of Clinton not getting out the vote that Trump getting out the vote. Neither are very popular or liked. Trump did bring in some new voters to counteract other areas where he lost votes. But he got less votes than Romney and lost the popular vote by a 1 million.

How on earth can this be blamed on Bill and Obama?

"They stood by as corporations hammered trade unions, the backbone of the white working class – failing to reform labor laws to impose meaningful penalties on companies that violate them, or help workers form unions with simple up-or-down votes. Partly as a result, union membership sank from 22% of all workers when Bill Clinton was elected president to less than 12% today, and the working class lost bargaining leverage to get a share of the economy’s gains."

Republicans have been upfront about union busting. Hard to believe white working class folks in Wisconsin went Republican because of lack of protections for unions

How on earth can this be blamed on Bill and Obama?

"They stood by as corporations hammered trade unions, the backbone of the white working class – failing to reform labor laws to impose meaningful penalties on companies that violate them, or help workers form unions with simple up-or-down votes. Partly as a result, union membership sank from 22% of all workers when Bill Clinton was elected president to less than 12% today, and the working class lost bargaining leverage to get a share of the economy’s gains."

Republicans have been upfront about union busting. Hard to believe white working class folks in Wisconsin went Republican because of lack of protections for unions

I'm sure that there is a lot about this election that is hard for you to believe, PH.

That's the result of years of living in a liberal echo chamber. I tried to tell you months & months ago that there were a helluva lot more people than BLM who were angry in this country. Tuesday, they showed up to register that anger at the polls.

Last edited:
Answer the question.

I never doubted what you were saying about anger. Not at all. You don't have to tell me about their irrational anger.

All you're telling me is that white working class people are easily manipulated into think Republicans are for the working man.

Anybody thinking Republicans will help unions is delusional.

Oh and citing UC-Berkley professor Robert
Reich to say someone else is in a liberal bubble is hilarious.

Last edited:
Answer the question.

All you're telling me is that white working class people are easily manipulated into think Republicans are for the working man.

Robert Reich answered your question...at length. If you can't understand what he said that's your problem. You can just keep thinking that Hillary lost because of stupid redneck racists if you wish. I really don't care.

Answer the question.

Remember that time Ph took the obvious L and learned a lesson with an open mind and humility?
Me neither.

What will Republicans do for unions then?

What will Republicans do for unions then?

I guess we will find out in the next four years. One thing to remember, though, is this is more about jobs than it is about unions. The two are not interchangeable terms.

I still think that you should read Reich's article again, because you didn't seem to get much out of it the first time you read it. It was about a helluva lot more than just unions.

Also, if you want to have a discussion about manipulated voters we could talk about how black voters have been manipulated by the Democratic Party for the last 50 years.

Last edited:
Trump found a segment of the population that was anxious about their current and future job prospects and exploited the fact that they felt marginalized by both parties going on almost 20 years. Economic fear in middle America apparently played a huge role in motivating voters to get out and vote for Trump.

That, and their vote counted for more than others, which apparently everyone is cool with. More of America wanted Hillary, this is not debatable and certainly not a mandate for Trump or a seachange. Still more people who wanted Hillary than there were poor, misunderstood, angry white Republicans who are pissed because they have been under Republican rule for decades.

I guess we will find out in the next four years. One thing to remember, though, is this is more about jobs than it is about unions. The two are not interchangeable terms.

I still think that you should read Reich's article again, because you didn't seem to get much out of it the first time you read it. It was about a helluva lot more than just unions.

Also, if you want to have a discussion about manipulated voters we could talk about how black voters have been manipulated by the Democratic Party for the last 50 years.

Super psyched to see what trump does for the blacks. I'm sure they will realize the error of their ways.

Answer the question.

I never doubted what you were saying about anger. Not at all. You don't have to tell me about their irrational anger.

Anybody thinking Republicans will help unions is delusional.

Oh and citing UC-Berkley professor Robert
Reich to say someone else is in a liberal bubble is hilarious.

Trumps been speaking to the unions issues for his entire campaign, I don't get why you don't see that's why that group went for him. You keep saying republicans. This guy is clearly not your standard republican

That was my point! Reich made a ridiculous claim that Trump voters were salty about lack of protection for unions.

Back