• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

Democrats once represented the working class. Not any more
Robert Reich
Bill Clinton and Barack Obama helped shift power away from the people towards corporations. It was this that created an opening for Donald Trump
Now Americans have rebelled by supporting someone who wants to fortify America against foreigners as well as foreign-made goods. The power structure understandably fears that Trump’s isolationism will stymie economic growth. But most Americans couldn’t care less about growth because for years they have received few of its benefits, while suffering most of its burdens in the forms of lost jobs and lower wages.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/10/democrats-working-class-americans-us-election

Yes. Well, I wasn't so much working with that group as that group was working with the Dean group. There was one in particular, but the name escapes me right now. (Senior moment.) If you list a few such groups I think I would recognize it.

ETA: The group was NARAL. Don't know if that fits the category you are talking about or not.

You were way too high on that salary

That, and their vote counted for more than others, which apparently everyone is cool with. More of America wanted Hillary, this is not debatable and certainly not a mandate for Trump or a seachange. Still more people who wanted Hillary than there were poor, misunderstood, angry white Republicans who are pissed because they have been under Republican rule for decades.

Sounds like a perfect issue for Obama to have addressed while he had both houses and the Supreme Court, along with gun control, immigration, and every other relevant issue. But Obamacare, so there's that.

Sounds like a perfect issue for Obama to have addressed while he had both houses and the Supreme Court, along with gun control, immigration, and every other relevant issue. But Obamacare, so there's that.

so this is the fantasy version of history we'll be stuck with, then. republicans are going to pretend Obama had all 3 branches for 8 years

That, and their vote counted for more than others, which apparently everyone is cool with. More of America wanted Hillary, this is not debatable and certainly not a mandate for Trump or a seachange. Still more people who wanted Hillary than there were poor, misunderstood, angry white Republicans who are pissed because they have been under Republican rule for decades.

I might be wrong but I think Dems know how hard the current system is for pubs to win and they were cool with the set up until ... well.... now.

I might be wrong but I think Dems know how hard the current system is for pubs to win and they were cool with the set up until ... well.... now.
what reason is that? That pubs have a hard time getting more people to vote for their candidates than dems? Our system of government has always made a low population density vote more powerful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

so this is the fantasy version of history we'll be stuck with, then. republicans are going to pretend Obama had all 3 branches for 8 years

Yeah, I mean he issued an executive order on immigration, and tried to pass meaningful gun legislation.

Revisionist history is fun!

He NEVER had the Supreme Court. What world are you living in?

what reason is that? That pubs have a hard time getting more people to vote for their candidates than dems? Our system of government has always made a low population density vote more powerful.

the electoral map favors dems I think that is common knowledge. I may be wrong but Pubs practically had to run the table.

Yeah, I think you're wrong. But if not, republicans should have no problem eliminating the electoral college.

Here's who has the most power. Pretty clear this favors the red state voter. But, tradition, and dead people voting...so

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/11/presidential_election_a_map_showing_the_vote_power_of_all_50_states.html

"one Wyoming voter has roughly the same vote power as four New York voters." Seems fair, good job 'Merica.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean he issued an executive order on immigration, and tried to pass meaningful gun legislation.

Revisionist history is fun!

Don't worry we are going to play a game dems made really fun. its called blame bush. Of course we will add the twist to it and we will blame obama but I am going to enjoy people pointing out things that are going bad or not working and being able to just blame obama. I already like this game no wonder you guys played it for 8 years.

the electoral map favors dems I think that is common knowledge. I may be wrong but Pubs practically had to run the table.
the Democratic presidential candidate won the popular vote. That is the main reason why the electoral map favors dems. Rs have to win a lot of states by small vote margins generally to counteract that

Last edited:
the Democratic presidential candidate won the popular vote.

Who cares? Both candidates focus was on winning the EC (as it should be). You don't think the voting patterns would be different if popular vote won the election. Such a dumb dumb dumb argument. If I am the one and only Pub in Cali, am I going to take time to cast a vote? DUMB

Here is a good article on the topic - http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

If you want to understand the Trump phenomenon, dig up the much more detailed county map. Here's how the nation voted county by county in the 2012 election -- again, red is Republican:
577531_v1.jpg
The country is lava.
Holy cockslaps, that makes it look like Obama's blue party is some kind of fringe political faction that struggles to get 20 percent of the vote.

This is a concept that only works for morons. Who cares who wins the most square miles? What counts is where people actually live.

Who cares? Both candidates focus was on winning the EC (as it should be). You don't think the voting patterns would be different if popular vote won the election. Such a dumb dumb dumb argument. If I am the one and only Pub in Cali, am I going to take time to cast a vote? DUMB
If I was a pub and I constantly have representation that exceeded the popular vote percentage of the people I would probably like this too. I would hope I would at least be honest with myself.

huh? if we switch to a popular vote, you vote and that's it. None of this state enclave bullshit.

This is a concept that only works for morons. Who cares who wins the most square miles? What counts is where people actually live.

Here is a concept for you. you lost. suck it up buttercup.

Back