• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

The EC is not broken. It does favor the Democratic Party for now. If Trump governs like FDR which is what seems most likely, then we are in big trouble in the rust belt moving forward.

At the end of the day, young people need to get the fuck out and vote.

Keep the electoral college but then electoral college the individual states by population. That sea of red in Georgia, 5 electoral votes, that island of blue thanks for the 11 electoral votes Atlanta.

Ah, my argument sucks so nanny nanny boo boo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

My candidate lost so I am going to cry about the process after the fact. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sounds like a perfect issue for Obama to have addressed while he had both houses and the Supreme Court, along with gun control, immigration, and every other relevant issue. But Obamacare, so there's that.

In the end, political priorities overrode all other considerations for Obama and the Democrats. Obamacare was a great way to bestow yet another huge benefit upon potential Democratic voters which someone else was going to have to pay for. Contrary to Obama's promises, it did nothing lower the cost of healthcare for Americans. It was just a gift for 8 to 10 million potential Democratic voters, insurance companies & big pharma....and the bill for all of it, in the form of huge premium increases, was just sent to the same people who were already paying for everything else.

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the Bush Administration dumped a financial mess in Obama's lap when he took office. Likewise, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Obama is leaving a colossal financial mess in Trump's lap with this Obamacare debacle....because we now have millions of new people under coverage with no fair or reasonable way to pay for them. It's going to be impossible to just cut them off...so what the hell is Trump supposed to do? This is what happens when you just keep throwing government benefits at people to win votes and don't have any idea how you are going to pay for them.

Who cares? Both candidates focus was on winning the EC (as it should be). You don't think the voting patterns would be different if popular vote won the election. Such a dumb dumb dumb argument. If I am the one and only Pub in Cali, am I going to take time to cast a vote? DUMB

Trying to figure out how one person, one vote, cunting equally (i was going to edit this, but liked it), is a dumb argument and why a person in NY having 4 times less voting power than a person in Wyoming is defensible.

If you are the one and only Pub voter in CA, no, under the current system you may not take the time to cast your vote because it doesn't count. Just like dems in CA may not go out and vote because they know a dem will win the state. If everyone's vote counted equally, that would change.

the electoral map favors dems I think that is common knowledge. I may be wrong but Pubs practically had to run the table.

Both PV and EC favor Dems. PV just favors Dems more. Pubs did run the table to win the EC.

Anybody complaining about EC needs to imagine what a national recount would look like right now. At the very least, EC is an effective tiebreaker.

In the end, political priorities overrode all other considerations for Obama and the Democrats. Obamacare was a great way to bestow yet another huge benefit upon potential Democratic voters which someone else was going to have to pay for. Contrary to Obama's promises, it did nothing lower the cost of healthcare for Americans. It was just a gift for 8 to 10 million potential Democratic voters, insurance companies & big pharma....and the bill for all of it, in the form of huge premium increases, was just sent to the same people who were already paying for everything else.

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the Bush Administration dumped a financial mess in Obama's lap when he took office. Likewise, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Obama is leaving a colossal financial mess in Trump's lap with this Obamacare debacle....because we now have millions of new people under coverage with no fair or reasonable way to pay for them. It's going to be impossible to just cut them off...so what the hell is Trump supposed to do? This is what happens when you just keep throwing government benefits at people to win votes and don't have any idea how you are going to pay for them.

Trump's not exactly run a campaign devoid of promising entitlement spending, and I highly doubt his administration will cut entitlement spending. He's much more FDR than Reagan from what we've seen, but who the hell really knows?

"Liberals mocked and jeered Donald Trump for suggesting that the election could be “rigged” in favor of Hillary Clinton. Now that Donald Trump has emerged victorious, winning the electoral college (which matters) but losing the popular vote (which doesn’t), Trump’s liberal critics are starting to think the system might be “rigged” after all."

Libs and hypocrisy are too much to handle sometimes if it wasn't cute and entertaining.

Both PV and EC favor Dems. PV just favors Dems more. Pubs did run the table to win the EC.

Anybody complaining about EC needs to imagine what a national recount would look like right now. At the very least, EC is an effective tiebreaker.

Why would a national recount be difficult - it takes like 5 hours to count all of the votes. PV favors dems more because there are more voters voting dem (even with a low turnout) -- meaning more people wanted a dem to win the Presidency. And we end up with Trump. Would like someone to provide one solid argument that the current process makes sense.

"Liberals mocked and jeered Donald Trump for suggesting that the election could be “rigged” in favor of Hillary Clinton. Now that Donald Trump has emerged victorious, winning the electoral college (which matters) but losing the popular vote (which doesn’t), Trump’s liberal critics are starting to think the system might be “rigged” after all."

Libs and hypocrisy are too much to handle sometimes if it wasn't cute and entertaining.

Well, there's pretend rigging (dead voters, people voting multiple times), and then there's actual rigging.

Pubs are hypocrites for complaining about this pretend rigging before the election and then whining about dems complaining about the electoral college after the election.

Back