• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

It doesn't elect the president, but it's a little callous to say that the PV doesn't matter.

It doesn't elect the president, but it's a little callous to say that the PV doesn't matter.

Let s be clear the popular vote is razor thin. Almost negligible and almost certainly would require a recount if this was the what mattered causing choas. Liberals are acting like the popular vote is seperated by millions.

"She had 59,755,284 votes, according to CNN's tally, with 92% of the expected vote counted. Trump had 59,535,522. That difference of 219,762 is razor-thin considering the nearly 120 million votes counted so far. The totals will continue to change as absentee votes trickle in."

like social security?

People pay for social security. Granted, due to inflation, time of death & other variables, the costs & benefits are not equal for all people. This is inherent with all insurance programs......but it should not be compared to outright government grants.

Let s be clear the popular vote is razor thin. Almost negligible and almost certainly would require a recount if this was the what mattered causing choas. Liberals are acting like the popular vote is seperated by millions.

"She had 59,755,284 votes, according to CNN's tally, with 92% of the expected vote counted. Trump had 59,535,522. That difference of 219,762 is razor-thin considering the nearly 120 million votes counted so far. The totals will continue to change as absentee votes trickle in."

It's over 400,000 and rising http://www.ibtimes.com/latest-popul...n-has-almost-400000-more-votes-winner-2445216

Last edited:
If we are going to stick with the EC, it needs to change like fantasy football has changed. It needs to be precisely updated every election and needs to get into decimal points.

Agreed. I've said that for a long time. I think the best solution is to find a way to tweak the EC to reduce the probability of having a "split decision".

Does a 1 point win in basketball count more than a 40 point win?

No but we are discussing something that does not determine the win.

Electoral votes determine the win and the american people have known this. They knew it in 2000 and nobody changed it.

Now you are bringing the popular vote up. I am saying it is negligible to even move the needle on changing the system as it is now.

Trying to figure out how one person, one vote, cunting equally (i was going to edit this, but liked it), is a dumb argument and why a person in NY having 4 times less voting power than a person in Wyoming is defensible.

If you are the one and only Pub voter in CA, no, under the current system you may not take the time to cast your vote because it doesn't count. Just like dems in CA may not go out and vote because they know a dem will win the state. If everyone's vote counted equally, that would change.

The point is not that one vote equals one vote. That is obvious. But claiming that the popular vote was "won" in past election is DUMB. The candidates and voters behavior is focused on winning via EC. So the voting behavior and campaign behavior is different. If I know my state is blue, I may not choose to vote if I am red (and vice versa). If I am campaigning for most popular votes, I focus on different areas versus specific swing states. It is not that complicated for those with no salty tears.

Back