• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

The point is not that one vote equals one vote. That is obvious. But claiming that the popular vote was "won" in past election is DUMB. The candidates and voters behavior is focused on winning via EC. So the voting behavior and campaign behavior is different. If I know my state is blue, I may not choose to vote if I am red (and vice versa). If I am campaigning for most popular votes, I focus on different areas versus specific swing states. It is not that complicated for those with no salty tears.

silent salty tears for no one hears him cry

Are you serious? Do you realize how SS works? Its a pretty simply concept.

gee, i thought it was a big ponzi scheme! Just out curiosity, how much did all those those domestic engineers, welfare queens and disability folks contribute?

There's no chance the GOP will EVER agree to end the EC. If they did, they'd have little chance to win the WH. They have lost the popular vote in 6 of the past 7 elections.

There is very little less democratic than a vote in Wyoming counting many, many, many more times than another vote in CA or a vote in TX having dramatically much less impact than a vote in DE.

There's no chance the GOP will EVER agree to end the EC. If they did, they'd have little chance to win the WH. They have lost the popular vote in 6 of the past 7 elections.

There is very little less democratic than a vote in Wyoming counting many, many, many more times than another vote in CA or a vote in TX having dramatically much less impact than a vote in DE.

A single vote, yes, but the impact of winning the state of California (55) or Texas (38) has a much larger impact on the election than winning Wyoming's 3 electoral votes.

re·pub·lic
rəˈpəblik/
noun
a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.

The people didn't elect the POTUS.

We have a lowercase democratic republic. Deal with it or find two hundred million people who want to change the Constitution.

A single vote, yes, but the impact of winning the state of California (55) or Texas (38) has a much larger impact on the election than winning Wyoming's 3 electoral votes.

All anyone has is a single vote.

an alternative would be to drastically increase voter participation.

who knows what the maps look like if we have an 80-90% turnout

an alternative would be to drastically increase voter participation.

who knows what the maps look like if we have an 80-90% turnout

Seems like Oregon with its mail-in ballots consistently has much higher turnout (79% vs. 57% nationally this year). Been in favor of their method for a while.

actually, purely in terms of the size of its population, Wyoming is over represented in the electoral college, so the vote of a citizen in Wyoming counts more than the vote of a citizen in California or Texas

actually, purely in terms of the size of its population, Wyoming is over represented in the electoral college, so the vote of a citizen in Wyoming counts more than the vote of a citizen in California or Texas

#rigged

Same can be said for the Senate.

Back