• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

Why would a national recount be difficult - it takes like 5 hours to count all of the votes. PV favors dems more because there are more voters voting dem (even with a low turnout) -- meaning more people wanted a dem to win the Presidency. And we end up with Trump. Would like someone to provide one solid argument that the current process makes sense.

See Florida 2000.
Also, if the nationwide PV happened to be about 3000 votes, any precinct's votes that had any irregularities on Election Day (computers down, voter not showing up on the rolls there, etc) would be heavily scrutinized, and that would take a lot longer than 5 hours. There are still absentee, provisional and military ballots yet to be counted. Right now, the NC Governor's race isn't going to have their results certified until November 29, and it will likely be later if there is a recount per the WaPo.

I'm a fan of PV replacing EC, but I think the best argument for keeping the EC is the close vote recount.

humourus

on the heels of an election, the victors mock the defeated for feeling disenfranchised after they claimed they voted for a guy because they felt disenfranchised

an alternative would be to drastically increase voter participation.

who knows what the maps look like if we have an 80-90% turnout

This is a better place to focus than altering our entire electoral process. That's a clown strategy. Let's get more people to vote. How about that?

I wonder who had the biggest meltdown and was most shocked when it became clear Trump was gonna win. Shoo? dv7? RJ? 923? Most of the Hillary voters were absolutely convinced it was gonna be a landslide. So I know almost all of you, with the possible exception of 07, were totally shocked.

I wonder who had the biggest meltdown and was most shocked when it became clear Trump was gonna win. Shoo? dv7? RJ? 923? Most of the Hillary voters were absolutely convinced it was gonna be a landslide. So I know almost all of you, with the possible exception of 07, were totally shocked.

I predicted a close outcome, so I wasn't shocked. Saddened, as we all will likely be in the near future (unless you are looking for shit to fall apart). However, I am the demographic least likely to be adversely affected -- so I am lucky in that way. I just feel for others not so lucky, including the poor, pitiable working class Trump voters, who will be let down (but will blame it on those who don't look like them, as usual).

Last night I watched Bill Maher on the Tonight Show the night before the election. Pretty good interview and I am not a Maher fan. He's probably still in the fetal position, but absolutely thought Trump could win.
Fallon: Can he win?
Maher: Does Chris Christie eat over the sink?

i wasn't shocked; wife was crushed

This is my situation. I was and am very disappointed for sure. After the Amendment 1 vote here in NC, I resigned to the idea that empathy doesn't motivate voters. No one ever acts outside of their own self interest, which is what this election came down to. I was talking with some guys the other day in the NC mountains who are convinced the factories up their way are opening back up soon thanks to Trump. I hope they do. I grieve for my friends and family from non-dominant groups who have much to fear from the unknown that is Donald Trump. It worries me that we have such an unpredictable 4-8 years ahead of us, because the stakes for many Americans are tremendously high. I'm embarrassed for what this says about us as a society. I'm scared that we are too broken to be redeemed. Mainly because empathy doesn't drive policy. Just like with Amendment 1, Americans will value fear of the "other" more than they will see their neighbor as a whole person.

This is my situation. I was and am very disappointed for sure. After the Amendment 1 vote here in NC, I resigned to the idea that my idea of empathy doesn't motivate voters. No one ever acts outside of my view of what is in their own self interest, which is what this election came down to. I was talking with some guys the other day in the NC mountains who are convinced the factories up their way are opening back up soon thanks to Trump. I hope they do. I grieve for my friends and family from non-dominant groups who have much to fear from the unknown that is Donald Trump. It worries me that we have such an unpredictable 4-8 years ahead of us, because the stakes for many Americans are tremendously high. I'm embarrassed for what I believe this says about us as a society. I'm scared that we are too broken to be redeemed. Mainly because my idea of empathy doesn't drive policies I want to see enacted. Just like with Amendment 1, Americans will value fear of the "other" more than they will see their neighbor as a whole person.

Submitted for your consideration.

After the Amendment 1 vote here in NC, I resigned to the idea that empathy doesn't motivate voters. No one ever acts outside of their own self interest, which is what this election came down to.

Painting with an overly broad brush here -- certain voters (too many) are not motivated by empathy and don't act outside of their own self interest, not all.

Painting with an overly broad brush here -- certain voters (too many) are not motivated by empathy and don't act outside of their own self interest, not all.

All. My self interest includes my friends and family feeling safe and whole. I don't believe in altruism by the way, so take this FWIW.

Painting with an overly broad brush here -- certain voters (too many) are not motivated by my definition of empathy and don't act outside of my definition of their own self interest, not all.

What I am not succeeding in persuading you guys of is that you do not have a monopoly on the authority to dictate empathy and the interests of others.

What I am not succeeding in persuading you guys of is that you do not have a monopoly on the authority to dictate empathy and the interests of others.

that's rich. The party of Small Government that wants to tell you who to marry and what to do with your body

People are interested in their livelihoods. I'm certainly empathetic to that. The town I grew up in is a wasteland right now. The plants started closing when I was in HS, and now the whole town looks like a Walking Dead set. If Trump brings it back, I would be thrilled. He will help by doing some very liberal things like deficit spending to invest in infrastructure and the expansion of Medicaid that was blocked for NC. I'm excited about that. I have other friends and family that are legitimately concerned that their marriages will be nullified. My wife works in an elementary school with kids who are from migrant working families, are homeless, etc. and they are scared. Her heart breaks for them. She is depressed that a truly terrible person who celebrated his lack of qualifications beat a qualified woman for a job. I am sad and scared because people I love are sad and scared. I am not surprised though. I will continue looking for hope though.

that's rich. The party of Small Government that wants to tell you who to marry and what to do with your body

It's beyond apparent that you all have nothing to adjust from your policy and electoral strategy in 2016. If only the rubes would finally listen to you...

People are interested in their livelihoods. I'm certainly empathetic to that. The town I grew up in is a wasteland right now. The plants started closing when I was in HS, and now the whole town looks like a Walking Dead set. If Trump brings it back, I would be thrilled. He will help by doing some very liberal things like deficit spending to invest in infrastructure and the expansion of Medicaid that was blocked for NC. I'm excited about that. I have other friends and family that are legitimately concerned that their marriages will be nullified. My wife works in an elementary school with kids who are from migrant working families, are homeless, etc. and they are scared. Her heart breaks for them. She is depressed that a truly terrible person who celebrated his lack of qualifications beat a qualified woman for a job. I am sad and scared because people I love are sad and scared. I am not surprised though. I will continue looking for hope though.

As to the red: I am willing to wager a substantial sum of money that this never, ever happens to the marriages of these individuals. PM me their names and what you believe is an appropriate window of risk for this to occur, and we'll set the stakes. It just isn't happening.

As to the blue: What are they afraid of?

It's beyond apparent that you all have nothing to adjust from your policy and electoral strategy in 2016. If only the rubes would finally listen to you...

Big words from a guy that purportedly didn't support Trump

Back