• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So how exactly did this happen?

Scott Walker busted in the primary because he had the personality of a gill-less fish that had been dead for a week. I don't think his failure at the national level can be attributed to his union busting policies.

Understood, but Obama and Biden didn't do shit on the union front in 2012 and still won. Walker idolizes Reagan and would be all in on more union busting ala traffic controllers. Has nothing to lose since he's never going to be POTUS. Depends on what MI and OH want to do. Private unions have been on the ropes for awhile, not nearly as strong as public unions.

Kind of weird to blame a 20 or 30 something for not getting old and disillusioned.

That's kind of my point, except that I wouldn't define it as disillusionment. Many of these liberal millennials are dead-certain that they have all the answers and that there is no chance that they might not have the life experience to actually understand the complexity of things that they think are simple and should be obvious to everyone else. I went thru that same stage in my life. Soon after I graduated from WF I was firmly convinced in my own mind that I was on the short list of the smartest people in the world. As the years went by, though, I began to realize that I didn't know nearly as much at 45 or 55 as I thought I did at 25. It is mostly a maturing process that everyone just has to live through, I suppose. There is really no way that I can convince most of these guys that they will eventually change the way that they view many things today.....just as there was no way that someone could have convinced me of that when I was 25. It will happen, though. I can almost guarantee you that by the time MDMH is 45 or 55 he will look back and be amazed that he could have taken some of the positions that he did at 25.

There are always exceptions, of course, but once a person has his own family and significant responsibilities in life his views on many things will invariably change.

That's kind of my point, except that I wouldn't define it as disillusionment. Many of these liberal millennials are dead-certain that they have all the answers and that there is no chance that they might not have the life experience to actually understand the complexity of things that they think are simple and should be obvious to everyone else. I went thru that same stage in my life. Soon after I graduated from WF I was firmly convinced in my own mind that I was on the short list of the smartest people in the world. As the years went by, though, I began to realize that I didn't know nearly as much at 45 or 55 as I thought I did at 25. It is mostly a maturing process that everyone just has to live through, I suppose. There is really no way that I can convince most of these guys that they will eventually change the way that they view many things today.....just as there was no way that someone could have convinced me of that when I was 25. It will happen, though. I can almost guarantee you that by the time MDMH is 45 or 55 he will look back and be amazed that he could have taken some of the positions that he did at 25.

There are always exceptions, of course, but once a person has his own family and significant responsibilities in life his views on many things will invariably change.

Do you believe with more or different life experiences that you could admit you are wrong now?

Republicans pick the next man up
Democrats fall in love

This cycle, those switched.

I'm not so sure about that bolded part. I mean, any Pub wouldn't have won the way Trump did, turning PA, MI, and WI. It is possible another Pub would've won NH and maybe NM or CO, but your usual milquetoast candidate wouldn't have turned the rust belt states.

Obama didnt run on identity politics. He ran on his charisma and vision. And Romney was a huge, Hillary/Kerry-level, donk of a candidate.

These posts touch on the real reason Trump won.

Go back over every previous presidential election and rate the two candidates on a scale of 1-10 measuring only one quality: charisma. You have to go back to 1988 where it is even close, but in a year where the Democrats were gifted Bush 1, they ran Dukakis. 1968-1976 are narrow differences, but it's not hard to see the winner as tied or better in the charisma category. You have to go back to well before the advent of TV, before this notion doesn't explain the winner.

There are a few reasons why this doesn't universally hold in the primaries, but it does influence the results within each party's nomination process.

So, Democrats in 2020 and 2024 have to decide if they want the best representative of their ideology, or if they want to win.

These posts touch on the real reason Trump won.

Go back over every previous presidential election and rate the two candidates on a scale of 1-10 measuring only one quality: charisma. You have to go back to 1988 where it is even close, but in a year where the Democrats were gifted Bush 1, they ran Dukakis. 1968-1976 are narrow differences, but it's not hard to see the winner as tied or better in the charisma category. You have to go back to well before the advent of TV, before this notion doesn't explain the winner.

There are a few reasons why this doesn't universally hold in the primaries, but it does influence the results within each party's nomination process.

So, Democrats in 2020 and 2024 have to decide if they want the best representative of their ideology, or if they want to win.

I agree with you. This is going to get lampooned, but is charisma a masculine characteristic in our society? Can you identify women you would describe as "charismatic" to a broad swath of re country? Oprah? Ellen? Haley?

I agree with you. This is going to get lampooned, but is charisma a masculine characteristic in our society? Can you identify women you would describe as "charismatic" to a broad swath of re country? Oprah? Ellen? Haley?

If we're isolating for women, Michelle Obama definitely has it. Haley probably does. Maybe Gillibrand? I'm not super familiar with all the options that may be out there.

Why would eliminating the EC have anything whatsoever to do with redistricting? If it's only about raw votes, redistricting is totally meaningless.

Redistricting would have tremendous meaning if we went to a parliamentary government.

Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. And of course, Sarah Palin.

I'm a micro-old, who is "Haley"? I honestly don't know.

Sidenote: it's funny that we had a thread in these very pages about how off-putting liberal smugness has gotten ("All my opponents are intolerant, undereducated, bucolic, unredeemable, deplorable rubes who stereotype!) and then you guys wonder why the half of the country you relentlessly berate doesn't find you charming. Again, take it or leave it, but a growth moment is upon you.

If we're isolating for women, Michelle Obama definitely has it. Haley probably does. Maybe Gillibrand? I'm not super familiar with all the options that may be out there.

Obama for sure. I do think it's a characteristic widely associated with men though. Might just be me, and I'm open to being proven wrong.

Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. And of course, Sarah Palin.

I'm a micro-old, who is "Haley"? I honestly don't know.

Sidenote: it's funny that we had a thread in these very pages about how off-putting liberal smugness has gotten ("All my opponents are intolerant, undereducated, bucolic, unredeemable, deplorable rubes who stereotype!) and then you guys wonder why the half of the country you relentlessly berate doesn't find you charming. Again, take it or leave it, but a growth moment is upon you.

Is it really half the country? Less than half of actual voters for sure.

Obama for sure. I do think it's a characteristic widely associated with men though. Might just be me, and I'm open to being proven wrong.

Elizabeth Warren. There are not many charismatic politicians out there now. Trump and Bernie were basically it in the primaries.

Last edited:
I agree completely. It was summed up perfectly earlier. This isn't the united states of California and New York.

But it shouldn't be the United States of Iowa and Michigan and Ohio either. There's no ideal system.

I agree completely. It was summed up perfectly earlier. This isn't the united states of California and New York.

yeah, we wouldnt want to deprive the Ohioans and Floridians their god-given right to decide the course of the nation.

Back