• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

STOP SHAMING TRUMP SUPPORTERS

I will sit on my throne of smugness built out of the dead corpses of conservatives denial of realities (now if they could just stop killing others my throne would be complete)

Outdated article as 5 years later checking in with those that we have disdain for are perpetuating a pandemic, gobbling down horse paste, and killing themselves off at a pretty good rate.

They certainly know what is best for them!

I will sit on my throne of smugness built out of the dead corpses of conservatives denial of realities (now if they could just stop killing others my throne would be complete)

It does not surprise me that you miss the point and flock instead to more comfortable intellectual ground. The beat goes on.

yeah the point is smart conservatives continue to endorse fascism and recruit the dumb dumbs of society by inflaming their hurt fee fees and victim complexes

yeah the point is smart conservatives continue to endorse fascism and recruit the dumb dumbs of society by inflaming their hurt fee fees and victim complexes

If self-unawareness and projection needed a Captain, you're their man.

Talking awareness, remember that time you said Trump doesn’t represent the Conservative party.

If self-unawareness and projection needed a Captain, you're their man.

yeah i mean my feelings are hurt everyday when i watch conservatives trample the constitution and personal rights in the name of Trump and owning libs and as i watch friends and family get sick and die again so they can stay loyal to trump and own libs.

yeah i mean my feelings are hurt everyday when i watch conservatives trample the constitution and personal rights in the name of Trump and owning libs and as i watch friends and family get sick and die again so they can stay loyal to trump and own libs.

Yes. Conservatives are definitely the ones practicing fascism and trampling personal rights in 2021. All over it, as usual.

I think the Vox article, though it does rely on a lot more conjecture than it can prove, has a ton of salient points. The Democratic Party has abandoned a tremendous portion of what was its New Deal constituency, favoring college educated upper middle class suburban voters, and hoping minority support will always be a given.

In what smug liberals would refer to as the horseshoe theory, as a leftist I'd suggest I agree with the conservative viewpoint the article posits that the mainstream Democratic Party isn't offering material advantages to many of their erstwhile voters. I listened to an interview with India Walton, the dem soc Buffalo mayoral primary winner, and she laid it out similarly to how Republicans describe major American cities under generations of Democratic rule--have conditions improved? Are streets, sewers, and sidewalks in better shape? Is violent crime down? Are schools better? Of course where I part from conservatives is in the solutions, but we can both agree that neoliberal Democratic means tested lukewarm policy isn't it.

I disagree with some of the causes the Vox piece identifies for this (such as The Daily Show), though I know that some of my most smug and self-certain liberal friends find solace in shows like TDS or with John Oliver or even the late night jabs at Trump from Colbert, milquetoast as they were. I think the Jon Stewart version of The Daily Show at least set its sights on the media at the same level it took on any administration--we don't really have as cogent a discussion of media devolution elsewhere today. Instead, the article correctly diagnoses that Facebook and other online forums become echo chambers for confirming one's own bias. If you click one type of story, you'll continue to see that kind of story algorithmically served to you.

I would say that what the conservative side of this argument misses is that elites in both parties lie to their constituents, and the other side of this smug liberalism is fake folksy populism on the right. While all these lowbrow talk radio conservatives are dying of COVID along with their anti-vax messaging, their TV counterparts are saying the same stuff but you know they're all vaxxed to the hilt. Any Hawley style "worker led conservative movement" is a huge grift. They don't want workers to own the means of production any more than a smug lib would, theirs is still a purchasing power, market based solution to inequality that will always face the same structural problems as neoliberal solutions will.

But dismissing the Vox piece today feels pretty short-sighted.

Last edited:
I think it's adorable that Townie thinks jhmd is interested in a legitimate discussion about how the powers in both parties use smugness to dismiss the other party instead of addressing their core issues, especially after jhmd just dropped a vaccine mandates trample personal rights bomb into the thread.

am i really smug if i admit that i look down on you rubes? Empirically, the rubes are being stupid, so is it really smug for me to look with disdain on their stupidity? If the point is that perhaps I should adopt a new manner in dealing with stupid people, fine, but the problem with that is that stupid people refuse to engage in honest discourse so I end up trying to convince people that 2+2 really does =4.

I think it's adorable that Townie thinks jhmd is interested in a legitimate discussion about how the powers in both parties use smugness to dismiss the other party instead of addressing their core issues, especially after jhmd just dropped a vaccine mandates trample personal rights bomb into the thread.

If this is your idea of a legitimate discussion, then I'm good not having one with you. Thanks.

Not sure if serious.

who could possibly accuse you of being intentionally obtuse?

On one hand, there's a universally beneficial vaccine that stupid people won't take, and so for their own good we force them to take it, with universally no ill effects. On the other hand, women and doctors are prosecuted for abortions. Which is the greater trampling of personal rights?

On one hand, there's a political party actively trying to throw democracy aside by claiming fraud even after it has been proven that none took place. On the other hand, a political party refuses to allow blatant lies to be a part of serious discourse. Which is the party of fascism?

Back