• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

STOP SHAMING TRUMP SUPPORTERS

anyone still supporting trump (not just anti-biden) is BY DEFINITION a fucking dumbass. So i'll shame them all damn day long because they sure as hell don't respond to reason.

If this is your idea of a legitimate discussion, then I'm good not having one with you. Thanks.

I've tried having legitimate discussions with you for years, but you're just a troll. Be glad I even bother to read your posts.

The studies, about Daily Show viewers and better-sized amygdalae, are knowing. It is the smug style's first premise: a politics defined by a command of the Correct Facts and signaled by an allegiance to the Correct Culture. A politics that is just the politics of smart people in command of Good Facts. A politics that insists it has no ideology at all, only facts. No moral convictions, only charts, the kind that keep them from "imposing their morals" like the bad guys do.

Knowing is the shibboleth into the smug style's culture, a cultural that celebrates hip commitments and valorizes hip taste, that loves nothing more than hate-reading anyone who doesn't get them. A culture that has come to replace politics itself.

The knowing know that police reform, that abortion rights, that labor unions are important, but go no further: What is important, after all, is to signal that you know these things. What is important is to launch links and mockery at those who don't. The Good Facts are enough: Anybody who fails to capitulate to them is part of the Problem, is terminally uncool. No persuasion, only retweets. Eye roll, crying emoji, forward to John Oliver for sick burns.

I really do find this to summarize a good deal of the Politics Knowers I've encountered online, here and elsewhere.

I've tried having legitimate discussions with you for years, but you're just a troll. Be glad I even bother to read your posts.

It is not shocking to me that you'd think anyone that doesn't fall in line with your comfortable groupthink is a troll. There's a reason you all need this place so much, and protect it so carefully.

thinking about how the most popular variation of the (arguably) most popular internet meme ever -- one that played a foundational role in the formation of the altright et al. -- signifies Smugness

I really do find this to summarize a good deal of the Politics Knowers I've encountered online, here and elsewhere.

You don't think that includes you?

Part of that definitely includes me. I don't think I have zero moral convictions or am in any position to judge what is hip or cool. I am also able to go a bit further than just knowing something is important (as are John Oliver and Trevor Noah).

But I would definitely want to be on the side of facts and knowledge, than be on the other side and be equally if not more smug, be operating completely outside of facts and knowledge, and base my morality and reality on a warped version of Christianity.

The idea that smugness and condescension is limited to one side is insane.

Anecdote -- no one on this board is more smug than JH.

[1]who could possibly accuse you of being intentionally obtuse?

On one hand, there's a universally beneficial vaccine that stupid people won't take, and so [2]for their own good we force them to take it, with universally no ill effects. On the other hand, women and doctors are prosecuted for abortions. [3]Which is the greater trampling of personal rights?

On one hand, there's [4]a political party actively trying to throw democracy aside by claiming fraud even after it has been proven that none took place. On the other hand, [5]a political party refuses to allow blatant lies to be a part of serious discourse. [6]Which is the party of fascism?

I guess the Covid discussion is going so poorly for you guys that you're ready to talk about abortion. That's a milestone of its own, but here goes. I've numbered your questions/assumptions to respond to each:
[1] Hypocrites and frauds.
[2] How does a health care worker WHO HAS HAD COVID need a vaccine "for their own good"? I waited my turn in line (which is the right thing to do) and then got the vaccine as early as soon as I could. I believe in vaccines, but I also believe the scientists who say that natural immunity is also immunity. Help me understand why an immunized person can get fired for not being immunized.
[3] The greater trampling of rights is depriving the child of her inalienable right to life. Please identify whose rights are superior to hers, and which rights those are.
[4] Wait until you hear about what happened in America between the years 2016 to 2020.
[5] I am constantly amazed at the self-delusion in these parts. If the only things you know about Republicans (and for that matter, Democrats) is what you read in echo chambers like this one, I guess I need to stop being surprised at how much you don't know.
[6] This week? The ones firing immunized health care workers for not being immunized.

also how maybe we idealize logical persuasion in politics but that shame and disgust better represent how political discourse gets done -- and we should maybe reckon with that instead of talking about who has the better arguments and facts etc.

thinking about how the most popular variation of the (arguably) most popular internet meme ever -- one that played a foundational role in the formation of the altright et al. -- signifies Smugness

keyboard cat was pretty smug

talking about Smug Pepe just to be clear

but I like the alternate history where Keyboard Cat gets radicalized

just wait for the fun background TV news report in For All Mankind S5 about how keyboard cat wins the presidency in 2008 despite being dead almost 30 years

[4] Wait until you hear about what happened in America between the years 2016 to 2020.
[

Setting aside the other pure garbage in your post, tell me what happened between 2016 and 2020 and how it equates to the Stop the Steal express (speaking of fascism). Really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Back