• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump and the Environment

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/china-option-fades-bill-gates-urges-u-s-take-lead-nuclear-power-good-planet/?fbclid=IwAR0wTVWe7BFcPBvOfEKNmVEDqwmmLVPoVn2r_bVEldsGRBVwoP3p0fbdEJA

"In his letter, Gates wrote that nuclear power had to play a greater role in America’s energy mix due to concerns about climate change. He noted that global emissions of greenhouse gases have resumed their upward trend. “For me, that just reinforces the fact that the only way to prevent the worst climate-change scenarios is to get some breakthroughs in clean energy,” he said.

Gates said power planners should take advantage of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power “wherever it makes sense.”

“But solar and wind are intermittent, and we are unlikely to have super-cheap batteries anytime soon that would allow us to store sufficient energy for when the sun isn’t shining or the wind isn’t blowing,” he wrote. “Besides, electricity accounts for only 25 percent of all emissions. We need to solve the other 75 percent too.”

Gates and other industry leaders, including Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, have been funding a wide variety of clean-energy innovations through Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a $1 billion investment fund. “The companies we chose are run by brilliant people and show a lot of promise for taking innovative clean-energy ideas out of the lab and getting them to market,” Gates wrote."

^ The absence of nuclear power is the most disappointing thing I've seen in the versions of the Green New Deal the freshmen Democratic congressmen are proposing.

Well, we voted for "smaller" government with less regulations and restrictions on business. That's how Pubs solve problems, right?

Everyone enjoy your cancer.

I'm going to infer that companies polluted at an 85% lower rate. Good job Trump!

Last edited:
It's a shame Trump's greed can't work for the environment at least once. That fishery is worth untold billions of dollars going into the future.

So damn shortsighted.

To be fair, this is not specifically a Trump environmental problem. Humanity typically sees wildlife and natural ecosystems as an impediment to prosperity and comfort.

I really don't get how climate change is a liberal issue when almost every farmer I know is conservative. How can you literally make a living growing plants and raising animals on this earth, and still not be an environmentalist? The only rational explanation is that they're simply getting their marching orders from the conservative %1 who couldn't give a flip less about the environment or farmers...which I guess is pretty par for Republican course.

Last edited:
I really don't get how climate change is a liberal issue when almost every farmer I know is conservative. How can you literally make a living growing plants and raising animals on this earth, and still not be an environmentalist? The only rational explanation is that they're simply getting their marching orders from the %1 who couldn't give a flip less about the environment or farmers...which I guess is pretty par for Republican course.

Farmers are not environmentalists because environmentalists want to regulate and restrict herbicides, pesticides, water use and land conversion, to balance agricultural needs and natural resource needs. You’d also think that fishermen would be pretty into environmental movements to reduce pollution, climate change and implement sustainable harvest restrictions, but they see all that stuff as limiting their income not pro-longing their way of life.

Essentially capitalism doesn't support a long-term view of the environment, so people making money off the environment aren't environmentalists.

Farmers are not environmentalists because environmentalists want to regulate and restrict herbicides, pesticides, water use and land conversion, to balance agricultural needs and natural resource needs. You’d also think that fishermen would be pretty into environmental movements to reduce pollution, climate change and implement sustainable harvest restrictions, but they see all that stuff as limiting their income not pro-longing their way of life.

Yep.

Most folks just naturally seem to think short-term and primarily care about their own interests.

Who cares if the pesticide/herbicide causes long-term damage to people or the environment? If it helps me get a higher yield today?

Thus we need a government that effectively evaluates and regulates these things.

Amazingly, a good portion of our population doesn’t seem to grasp such a simple concept.

Back