• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump and the Environment

When a member of Congress brings a snowball into a session to say "LOL global warming", that shows the uphill battle being faced.

I don't know if this article was presented previously either on this thread or the map one (didn't find it via search), but to further illustrate "too big, too abstract" here's an article about how many people believe that climate change is happening, but won't affect them personally. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...s-think-about-climate-change-in-six-maps.html

it's too big, too abstract, too complex to understand

With respect, I consider this argument a semi-conscious excuse. Taxes and healthcare are complex and big, and abstract until you're looking at bills. Besides, it's a pretty simple narrative - we have one environment, we need it in order to survive and thrive, and very tangible actions are being taken that actively undermine its health. We have scientists that we can and should trust as an entirety (notwithstanding each individually) to inform us of dangers, and they are SCREAMING at us about dangers. It's not difficult to see that there is a problem and that it should be addressed with fervor.

With respect, I consider this argument a semi-conscious excuse. Taxes and healthcare are complex and big, and abstract until you're looking at bills. Besides, it's a pretty simple narrative - we have one environment, we need it in order to survive and thrive, and very tangible actions are being taken that actively undermine its health. We have scientists that we can and should trust as an entirety (notwithstanding each individually) to inform us of dangers, and they are SCREAMING at us about dangers. It's not difficult to see that there is a problem and that it should be addressed with fervor.

im not being flip, but we're talking about the same kinds of people who think changing rotating tires or cleaning out their chimney is dumb because "they never had a problem"

im not being flip, but we're talking about the same kinds of people who think changing rotating tires or cleaning out their chimney is dumb because "they never had a problem"

If that's the case, I would argue that a poorly-informed populace is the problem, not the issue itself or the way it's presented to the populace.

As with almost everything, the abandonment of public education investment is killing us.

If that's the case, I would argue that a poorly-informed populace is the problem, not the issue itself or the way it's presented to the populace.

As with almost everything, the abandonment of public education investment is killing us.

i don't think so, it's definitely a narrative problem. my wife, who in many ways is an excellent ambassador/communicator relative to her colleagues, still recoils when she hears non-scientists recommend simplifications or 'narrative-based' communication suggestions as ways to improve understanding for the layman.

Dude is so paranoid. He also spent $25,000 in taxpayer money on a customized secure phone booth for his office.

On the other hand, he appears to be the only one in this administration that knows you should try to hide the shady stuff you're doing.

i don't think so, it's definitely a narrative problem. my wife, who in many ways is an excellent ambassador/communicator relative to her colleagues, still recoils when she hears non-scientists recommend simplifications or 'narrative-based' communication suggestions as ways to improve understanding for the layman.

I think we might be having a different conversation here. I'm saying that the idea of protecting the environment/climate is an easy one to understand. You're saying that it's difficult to present environmental issues in a simple way, and that many scientists don't want to (they hate the idea of not being exact).

I think both are correct, but I wonder how much a core knowledge of the issue itself is relevant to people caring about the idea in general. I mean we're getting into propaganda almost here, but I really don't think it should be a big deal to put your vote towards environmental protection. The GOP has just repeated over and over that it's going to bankrupt you.

It never has. It never will. The only environmental action that will bankrupt you is not taking any action at all.

WakeForestRanger is like the grim reaper. Whenever he bumps a post the bell tolls for thee

Back