• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake News Stories and Facebook

jhmd, have you gotten over losing the election? Who did you vote for in the primary? Why didn't you want Trump to win?

What is thought about the Wall Street Journal headline this morning addressing Trump's latest claims?:

"Trump Takes Aim at Millions of Votes"

If dems really think they lost because of fake news or Russian hackers (rather than real health care premiums), Pubs better get used to holding power.
The outgoing POTUS failed to deliver on the signature promise of his presidency. People who voted for him noticed. That's not raciosm, fake news or Russian cyber crime. You lost. It happens. Now accept the growth opportunity and move on.

Health care premiums is what downed Hillary?

This is a fine takeaway, and I hope Dems don't spend the next 2 years only cracking down on fake news and Russian hackers. That would be a very bad strategy indeed.

Crack down? Why not just take Trump's playbook and embrace/exploit them!

jhmd, have you gotten over losing the election? Who did you vote for in the primary? Why didn't you want Trump to win?

The candidate I voted for announced he wasn't running about a year ago, so it would be fair to say I was prepared for the outcome of my candidate not winning. I was over losing the election before it began. I haven't quite gotten over you guys losing the election, though. It may take months for the involuntary giggling to subside. Shit. There it goes again.

The candidate I voted for announced he wasn't running about a year ago, so it would be fair to say I was prepared for the outcome of my candidate not winning. I was over losing the election before it began. I haven't quite gotten over you guys losing the election, though. It may take months for the involuntary giggling to subside. Shit. There it goes again.

We all lost together, jhmd.

Nothing like giggling at the opponent after America elects a narcissistic psychopath into the White House.

Congrats on your victory!

Health care premiums is what downed Hillary?

That certainly played at least as big a part as an army of Russian hackers or fake news. People actually watching policy fail and voting accordingly is a thing, you know.

We all lost together, jhmd.

Correct, but the Founders were wiser than you think they were. Greater men than Trump have deadlocked our system over reasonable differences of opinion. If Trump is as scary as you think, even less will come of him than you fear. The system has a self-preservation instinct.

Correct, but the Founders were wiser than you think they were. Greater men than Trump have deadlocked our system over reasonable differences of opinion. If Trump is as scary as you think, even less will come of him than you fear. The system has a self-preservation instinct.

That's what I thought all along during the election...then he still got elected.

Also "reasonable" seems to not really matter anymore.

This has been my hope, but we also haven't had an authoritarian personality like Trump in awhile. That's okay to admit, btw, and you won't lose your #winning credentials.

It seems like Nixon is a worst case scenario based on past presidents. Unlike Nixon, however, Trump is arrogant as hell and completely self-unaware. Trump represents a dangerous combination without American precedent from what I can tell. I'd be interested in hearing your take, though.

Berlusconi may be a best case scenario, but with Mike Pence and a cabinet of 1%ers calling the shots. Duterte may be the worst?

That's what I thought all along during the election...then he still got elected.

Also "reasonable" seems to not really matter anymore.

Me too. I'm also worried about the ability of a partisan legislative branch to check the power of the executive in polarized 2016. Remember that much of capitol hill is more vulnerable from the right flank than the middle. Trump can motivate that right flank to primary some cats into oblivion.

A Reflexive Liar in Command: Guidelines for the Media

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/20...r-in-command-guidelines-for-the-media/508832/

Nobody seems to realize that normal rules do not apply when you are interviewing a narcissist. You can’t go about this in the way you were trained, because he is an expert at manipulating the very rules you learned. It’s clear to me that reporters (and anyone else) who will deal with DT directly need to take a crash course in handling someone displaying these behaviors.

This has been my hope, but we also haven't had an authoritarian personality like Trump in awhile. That's okay to admit, btw, and you won't lose your #winning credentials.

It seems like Nixon is a worst case scenario based on past presidents. Unlike Nixon, however, Trump is arrogant as hell and completely self-unaware. Trump represents a dangerous combination without American precedent from what I can tell. I'd be interested in hearing your take, though.

Berlusconi may be a best case scenario, but with Mike Pence and a cabinet of 1%ers calling the shots. Duterte may be the worst?

Meh, I'm not inclined to believe the liberal fan fiction. This is the seriously/literally disconnect previously discussed. He spoke to disaffected voters that both parties wrote off. He's not going to be voting their proxy.

Meh, I'm not inclined to believe the liberal fan fiction. This is the seriously/literally disconnect previously discussed. He spoke to disaffected voters that both parties wrote off. He's not going to be voting their proxy.

Meh, I was wary of Trump long before he was a politician. He was just a notoriously awful employer and irresponsible developer/landlord at that point. And he was considered by most to be a liberal at the time, if you recall. He's a scary guy with the amount of power he has now.

I'm not sure how your last two sentences speak to the first two, though, or how they speak to my point.

But you have to agree it's a "do as I say, not as I do" at best, right? He's the very embodiment of the system that has taken jobs away from Americans, of the elite born on third base, of all the corruption charges he leveled at Hillary.

I understand the idea that he paid better lip service to disaffected voters, but the concept that he's genuinely interested in their concerns...

They know that, but it's clear to me that you guys are having a hard time recognizing an "F you" vote when you see one. This was one such event.

They know that, but it's clear to me that you guys are having a hard time recognizing an "F you" vote when you see one. This was one such event.

or non-vote, as it were. You really believe all that about the FU vote, when really it was a low-turnout election vs a 1) damaged candidate from years of partisan attacks and 2) a woman, the first to make it this far? People just stayed home in those states and Trump eked out a win.

I think the idea that Trump won along some kind of policy line(s) is a fantasy for the most part. I recall on election night a crowd in Wisconsin and the interviewer asked a white middle-class Trump-supporting woman why she voted for Trump, and she couldn't articulate one policy point at all. She just said some superlatives about him and making America great again and that was it.

or non-vote, as it were. You really believe all that about the FU vote, when really it was a low-turnout election vs a 1) damaged candidate from years of partisan attacks and 2) a woman, the first to make it this far? People just stayed home in those states and Trump eked out a win.

I think the idea that Trump won along some kind of policy line(s) is a fantasy for the most part. I recall on election night a crowd in Wisconsin and the interviewer asked a white middle-class Trump-supporting woman why she voted for Trump, and she couldn't articulate one policy point at all. She just said some superlatives about him and making America great again and that was it.

Yeah, you're still not getting it; this was an FU vote. In this case the U was you and me, but don't miss the F part, because that's an important part. Trump voters don't believe that your party will solve their problems, and they don't believe that my party will solve their problems.

negative campaigns tend to drive down voter turnout, and this was certainly one hell of a negative campaign

but there was also a considerable fuck you vote in there for the liberals and the elites

after this election I can't imagine why the dems would not want to reassess, not reassessing is just dumb beyond belief

I disagree and maybe Im a dumbass, but I've been following politics as long as I can remember. Reassess everything because you had a beat-down candidate lose a low-turnout election to a populist who promises unrealistic solutions? No tariff is going to bring those jobs back to Wisconsin and Michigan. Coal is really bad for the environment and makes people sick, we don't need to bring coal jobs back we need to re-tool West Virginia and Penn.

What reassessment needs to be done, start promising pie in the sky trickle-down bullshit and anti-globalization policy? That is shit we know is wrong and is not good for the country. Do we embrace bad policy just to win, and then reject it? Is it about winning, or doing what is right??

Gloat away in your victory over the candidate you have feared and loathed for decades, but you opened a chasm and in walked someone worse. I'm not scared of Trump, I just think he is really uninformed and he is lying to these people just to keep them adoring him. But he will disappoint not just those supporters, but everyone.

Back