• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake News Stories and Facebook

That's what happens when you institutionalize bias and then pretend it's not there.

This issue isn't new at all, it's been going on for decades. Progressives latched onto all of the MSM, and visa versa, because it confirmed their chosen beliefs and narratives at the expense of other views. The OP is full of bizarre and false narratives that they fully back because they want to believe them....which makes the entire article quite ironic given it's all about falsehoods. That's why conservatives have such a mistrust of the MSM. They were tired of seeing their views get destroyed, mocked, derided by a biased system, one that just increasingly got more extreme with its bias and hate for their views.

What amazes me is that all the "enlightened" on the left don't even see it....never have. They were always wiling to go back tho their trusted MSM and have it rationalized as something else.

I truly don't understand this. The OP is an essay. It is not "news." It does not contain "falsehoods, because it doesn't offer any "facts" at all. You may disagree with the author's estimation (and explanation) of the current political discourse, but that is not a "false narrative."

Dismissing opinions with which you disagree as "false" is exactly the problem the author describes.

They didn't report what pourman believes so pourman says they're biased.

FC6953E1241182839532509368320_323b6f9cf8f.1.5.13602981475008929513.mp4.jpg

What views are getting mocked and derided by a biased system?
LOL...seriously? How about the idea of having immigration control. Immigration is a legit problem. It undermines wages and jobs. We hear we need to increase minimum wages but the entire reason there's a downward pressure on it is because of labor at that level. By demanding we conform to immigrant needs, it stresses existing systems and capabilities, for instances schools, so there are hidden costs. We're at historic highs, percentage wise. There are a lot of things about immigration that needs to be discussed and debated.

What did it get mocked and derided into by the MSM/Hollywood/etc? Racism and xenophobia. Debate over.

That's today's America. No real debate. No real discussion. Conform to the MSM progressive viewpoint or become the out-group. The out-group gets labeled as haters not worthy of even having an opinion.

Last edited:
LOL...seriously? How about the idea of having immigration control. It's a legit problem. It undermines wages and jobs. We hear we need to increase minimum wages but the entire reason there's a downward pressure on it is because of labor at that level. By demanding we conform to immigrant needs, it stresses existing systems and capabilities, for instances schools so there are hidden costs. We're at historic highs, percentage wise. There are a lot of things about immigration that needs to be discussed and debated.

What did it get mocked and derided into by the MSM/Hollywood/etc? Racism and xenophobia. Debate over.

That's today's America. No real debate. No real discussion. Conform to the MSM progressive viewpoint or become the out-group. The out-group gets labeled as haters not worthy of even having an opinion.

MSM doesn't "mock" people who think we need to have immigration control Pour. It mocks those who want to deport an entire religion out of the United States.

Good lord man get out the damn tin-foil hat.

I think conservatives confuse the "mainstream media" with comedians like Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, etc., because so many liberals got their "news" from those sources. They were the people mocking and deriding conservative politicians so much the past couple decades, not CNN and NBC or the NYT or WaPo. You've gotta look a lot harder for bias in the actual traditional mainstream.

I see it a little differently. Once people are attuned to bias, they begin to see it everywhere. Once seen, it can't be unseen. And I think that's justified. Whenever we tell stories, or whenever we present information, we always have to make underlying editorial decisions. It's not a stretch to think that the way we communicate something shows a degree of bias. So I don't think it's difficult to see bias, especially not when you're looking for it.

The paradigm shift, to me, is that bias is now more than just the way we report something. People claim it's "biased" to report on something in the first place. It is now "biased" to acknowledge that an event even happened. This is the difference between reality and unreality that Brian Phillips is getting at, imo.

LOL...seriously? How about the idea of having immigration control. It's a legit problem. It undermines wages and jobs. We hear we need to increase minimum wages but the entire reason there's a downward pressure on it is because of labor at that level. By demanding we conform to immigrant needs, it stresses existing systems and capabilities, for instances schools so there are hidden costs. We're at historic highs, percentage wise. There are a lot of things about immigration that needs to be discussed and debated.

I disagree. There were a number of Republicans that wanted to have a constructive discussion about immigration reform and were open to a bi-partisan solution a couple years ago. A real debate could have been had. Instead, millions of Republicans rejected this approach and ran in the direction of extreme rhetoric coming from Donald Trump. When the MSM reports on Donald Trump's exact words and professed policy positions, this is somehow bias? What the hell has Donald Trump done to elevate the conversation on immigration? It has been reduced to its lowest level-- immigrants are criminals and rapists and we need to build a wall to keep them all out. Such debate. Much nuance. wow!

LOL...seriously? How about the idea of having immigration control. Immigration is a legit problem. It undermines wages and jobs. We hear we need to increase minimum wages but the entire reason there's a downward pressure on it is because of labor at that level. By demanding we conform to immigrant needs, it stresses existing systems and capabilities, for instances schools, so there are hidden costs. We're at historic highs, percentage wise. There are a lot of things about immigration that needs to be discussed and debated.

First of all, the MSM and Hollywood aren't actually the same thing.

Second, can you post some examples of discussions of immigration control being mocked and derided by MSM outlets?

People love to blame the MSM, but most of the MSM are capitalistic ventures. They'll put on whatever gets the most clicks and eyeballs. So if partisan hackery is what gets that, then that's what they put out there. You want to blame someone? Look in the mirror.

I disagree. There were a number of Republicans that wanted to have a constructive discussion about immigration reform and were open to a bi-partisan solution a couple years ago. A real debate could have been had. Instead, millions of Republicans rejected this approach and ran in the direction of extreme rhetoric coming from Donald Trump. When the MSM reports on Donald Trump's exact words and professed policy positions, this is somehow bias? What the hell has Donald Trump done to elevate the conversation on immigration? It has been reduced to its lowest level-- immigrants are criminals and rapists and we need to build a wall to keep them all out. Such debate. Much nuance. wow!

honestly do you believe this is what he said? this is where the media is fucked. He was talking about illegal immigrants coming across the border. Not all Mexicans.
Its another race baiting hands up don't shoot game that Liberals and media ran with. Its so tired. You did it with binder full of women and seeing Russia from my house etc.

If it was reduced to the lowest level its because liberals wanted it to be there.

Last edited:
[/B]

honestly do you believe this is what he said? this is where the media is fucked. He was talking about illegal immigrants coming across the border. Not all Mexicans.
Its another race baiting hands up don't shoot game that Liberals and media ran with. Its so tired. You did it with binder full of women and seeing Russia from my house etc.

If it was reduced to the lowest level its because liberals wanted it to be there.

Do you assume that most illegal immigrants are criminals and rapists?

Are there drug dealers, rapists and murderers coming across the border illegally ?

Sure, of course there are. Probably coming across both borders. I assume that far more than some are good people yearning to be free, however.

Sure, of course there are. Probably coming across both borders. I assume that far more than some are good people yearning to be free, however.
To what degree does yearning to be free supercede legal immigration?

To what degree does yearning to be free supercede legal immigration?

Again, this isn't the conversation that Donald Trump started when he kicked off his campaign. I have no problem with restrictions on illegal immigration. I think immigration is an important issue, that we are long overdue on dialogue for. Donald Trump could have started that conversation, and he still can, but he didn't start that conversation with his comments kicking off his campaign. There is plenty of space between fear-mongering and open borders.

Donald Trump didn't say a damn word about "illegal" immigration in that statement. He said "they’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

Back