• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake News Stories and Facebook

Facebook fake-news writer: ‘I think Donald Trump is in the White House because of me’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-in-the-white-house-because-of-me/?tid=sm_fb

You mentioned Trump, and you’ve probably heard the argument, or the concern, that fake news somehow helped him get elected. What do you make of that?

My sites were picked up by Trump supporters all the time. I think Trump is in the White House because of me. His followers don’t fact-check anything — they’ll post everything, believe anything. His campaign manager posted my story about a protester getting paid $3,500 as fact. Like, I made that up. I posted a fake ad on Craigslist.

(Twitter via Mediaite)
(Twitter via Mediaite)
Why? I mean — why would you even write that?

Just ’cause his supporters were under the belief that people were getting paid to protest at their rallies, and that’s just insane. I’ve gone to Trump protests — trust me, no one needs to get paid to protest Trump. I just wanted to make fun of that insane belief, but it took off. They actually believed it.

I thought they’d fact-check it, and it’d make them look worse. I mean that’s how this always works: Someone posts something I write, then they find out it’s false, then they look like idiots. But Trump supporters — they just keep running with it! They never fact-check anything! Now he’s in the White House. Looking back, instead of hurting the campaign, I think I helped it. And that feels [bad].

That's revisionist history; most sites never stopped selling subscriptions. I wouldn't consider any business model change "devaluing" to try and keep up with market conditions. Most paywalls just changed from 100% or embargo to X free articles per month.

My recollection is that content is being more restricted, not less, as time goes by. Most newspaper sites started out with 100% free content and have been slowly adding paywalls.

[/B]

honestly do you believe this is what he said? this is where the media is fucked. He was talking about illegal immigrants coming across the border. Not all Mexicans.
Its another race baiting hands up don't shoot game that Liberals and media ran with. Its so tired. You did it with binder full of women and seeing Russia from my house etc.

If it was reduced to the lowest level its because liberals wanted it to be there.

You have to be joking. Trump at every opportunity has sought to link immigration and criminality and engage in blatant fear mongering, even though it is not based in fact. Just a simple google search turns up (1) , (2) , and (3).

The worst thing is, I think he knew what he was doing and he did it on purpose. I am trying not to get frustrated and to continue having a mostly polite dialogue, but just reading the transcript of Trump's speech and then having you come on here and have the gall to accuse the left of being the ones that de-railed any substantive debate on immigration policy is just getting absurd.

Last edited:
Donald Trump didn't say a damn word about "illegal" immigration in that statement. He said "they’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

do you think he was talking about the legal immigrants here already, the ones the are coming through legally or do you think he was referring to the border and illegal immigration. I mean honestly you can not be that dumb

How do Trump supporters reconcile:

"He says what he means and I like that" and "You have to look past what he says and really look at what he's trying to get at, read between the lines".

The whole thing is ridiculous.

do you think he was talking about the legal immigrants here already, the ones the are coming through legally or do you think he was referring to the border and illegal immigration. I mean honestly you can not be that dumb

I think he was saying whatever would generate more fear-mongering among his rural voting base, which would fall into the "anybody who is coming from Mexico into the United States, legally or illegally" category.

louis-ck.gif

Sure, of course there are. Probably coming across both borders. I assume that far more than some are good people yearning to be free, however.

We have plenty of drug dealers, rapists, and murderers born here in the US. That's why we house 25% of the world's prison population.

I think he was saying whatever would generate more fear-mongering among his rural voting base, which would fall into the "anybody who is coming from Mexico into the United States, legally or illegally" category.

why did nearly one in three Latino voters in florida cast their ballots for trump?

LOL...seriously? How about the idea of having immigration control. Immigration is a legit problem. It undermines wages and jobs. We hear we need to increase minimum wages but the entire reason there's a downward pressure on it is because of labor at that level. By demanding we conform to immigrant needs, it stresses existing systems and capabilities, for instances schools, so there are hidden costs. We're at historic highs, percentage wise. There are a lot of things about immigration that needs to be discussed and debated.

What did it get mocked and derided into by the MSM/Hollywood/etc? Racism and xenophobia. Debate over.

That's today's America. No real debate. No real discussion. Conform to the MSM progressive viewpoint or become the out-group. The out-group gets labeled as haters not worthy of even having an opinion.

A downward pressure on wages for jobs no one wants to do? There was an article recently where a white rural NC Trump voter complained about immigrants stealing jobs. The reporter asked about cucumber picking. Dude said he wouldn't do that job. When asked who should do the job, he responded that blacks should because they just sit on the porch all day.

This is what we're dealing with folks.

How do Trump supporters reconcile:

"He says what he means and I like that" and "You have to look past what he says and really look at what he's trying to get at, read between the lines".

The whole thing is ridiculous.

Read the last paragraph I posted from the fake news article on page 3.

We have plenty of drug dealers, rapists, and murderers born here in the US. That's why we house 25% of the world's prison population.

are all of them born in the US?

true

as people's behavior shifted from reading the print copy to browsing the digital edition to now just reading whatever they see linked from twitter or other feeds, the model had to shift

declining circulations track the business model shift was my basic point

And don't you think people shifted because content was freely available online?

Therefore it was driven by newspapers self-devaluing?

It's not like that distrust came out of thin air. The MSM brought this on itself by years and years and years of left-leaning views. Fox was enough when Fox supported the Pub candidate, but with Fox's tepid embrace of Trump, something else was bound to fill the void.

jesus just stop man. the constant caterwauling about MSM left-lean. mind-numbingly pathetic constant whining

Back