• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake News Stories and Facebook

oh and Facebook sucks balls in every aspect. Get it out of your life you lemmings. You can share pics with your family in lots of ways. It's not just a political echo chamber, its a stupidity and douchebag echo-chamber. people staring their stupid news feed constantly and liking the minutia of someone else's day and dumbass song lyrics? blegh

Last edited:
oh and Facebook sucks balls in every aspect. Get it out of your life you lemmings. You can share pics with your family in lots of ways. It's not just a political echo chamber, its a stupidity and douchebag echo-chamber.

welcome to earth

The top 20 fake news stories outperformed real news at the end of the 2016 campaign

http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/11/16/13659840/facebook-fake-news-chart

Silverman used a tool called BuzzSumo to find the highest-performing legitimate news articles — stories from sites like the New York Times and the Huffington Post — and then compared them with high-performing stories that peddled false claims like “Pope Francis shocks world, endorses Donald Trump for president” (he didn’t) and “FBI agent suspected in Hillary email leaks found dead in apartment in murder-suicide” (this didn’t happen).

Silverman then compared the Facebook engagement — the number of shares, reactions, and comments — for the top 20 legitimate news stories against the top 20 fake news stories for three three-month periods. As you can see, the legitimate news stories outperformed the fake ones in the early months of the 2016 election campaign. But in the last three months, fake news sources saw their engagement surge.

The top 20 fake news stories outperformed real news at the end of the 2016 campaign

http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/11/16/13659840/facebook-fake-news-chart

dumdum.jpg

oh and Facebook sucks balls in every aspect. Get it out of your life you lemmings. You can share pics with your family in lots of ways. It's not just a political echo chamber, its a stupidity and douchebag echo-chamber. people staring their stupid news feed constantly and liking the minutia of someone else's day and dumbass song lyrics? blegh

This #hottake gem is solid angry old white guy material. You and BKF are more similar than you guys think.

What do you think is a responsible way to report this quote:

3d8c26218460a72fe3860adcd710ca0b.png

Me: It was a disjointed way of saying that stricter immigration screening and a secure Southern border would be a massive benefit to the country

Me to me: Just tell 'em "no more time for hypotheticals, build that wall baby!!!!"

I truly don't understand this. The OP is an essay. It is not "news." It does not contain "falsehoods, because it doesn't offer any "facts" at all. You may disagree with the author's estimation (and explanation) of the current political discourse, but that is not a "false narrative."

Dismissing opinions with which you disagree as "false" is exactly the problem the author describes.
Well sure, it's an opinion piece but so is the type of "news" he's talking about. Breitbart, Alex Jones, etc are all peddling opinions aren't they? What's the difference between them and say...Huffington Post and OccupyDem or MTV.com? Nothing. Progressives want to believe their "facts" too, like the MSM is not biased. Heck a lot of progressives get their news from Colbert weren't they? A lot of the opinion he's pushing out there is the same stuff as what he's complaining about...just the "facts" he choses to believe.

The controls on all of this ended when the MSM stopped caring about news and being balanced and pushed one side of the debate. I know that doesn't fit the narrative of many....amazing hyperbole or whatever....but not believing that is part of their chosen narrative. Conservatives have had to LIVE in a world biased against them. Progressives get to just pretend the bias is not there.

Whatever you want to believe...it's all going to change anyway. We just saw the New Deal era end and that means the bias will eventually flip the other way. Then the MSM will be peddling progressives as commie pinko AI loving douchebags. LOL.

Wow.

Your friends sound terrible!

MSM doesn't "mock" people who think we need to have immigration control Pour. It mocks those who want to deport an entire religion out of the United States.

Good lord man get out the damn tin-foil hat.
You can't possibly be serious. Any mention of immigration control in this country of any kind is instantly labeled racist or xenophobia...instantly. That isn't tin-foil hat. I've been told by countless progressives that building a wall in and of itself is racist. There's no discussion of the pros and cons.....which is really all I've ever asked for......it's instant racism and xenophobia. Do you not realize that?

I mean that kind of thing is why Trump won isn't it?? People were tired of being labeled haters for having legit opinions.

Well sure, it's an opinion piece but so is the type of "news" he's talking about. Breitbart, Alex Jones, etc are all peddling opinions aren't they? What's the difference between them and say...Huffington Post and OccupyDem or MTV.com? Nothing. Progressives want to believe their "facts" too, like the MSM is not biased. Heck a lot of progressives get their news from Colbert weren't they? A lot of the opinion he's pushing out there is the same stuff as what he's complaining about...just the "facts" he choses to believe.

The controls on all of this ended when the MSM stopped caring about news and being balanced and pushed one side of the debate. I know that doesn't fit the narrative of many....amazing hyperbole or whatever....but not believing that is part of their chosen narrative. Conservatives have had to LIVE in a world biased against them. Progressives get to just pretend the bias is not there.

Whatever you want to believe...it's all going to change anyway. We just saw the New Deal era end and that means the bias will eventually flip the other way. Then the MSM will be peddling progressives as commie pinko AI loving douchebags. LOL.

lfL0UvH.gif

You can't possibly be serious. Any mention of immigration control in this country of any kind is instantly labeled racist or xenophobia...instantly. That isn't tin-foil hat. I've been told by countless progressives that building a wall in and of itself is racist. There's no discussion of the pros and cons.....which is really all I've ever asked for......it's instant racism and xenophobia. Do you not realize that?

I mean that kind of thing is why Trump won isn't it?? People were tired of being labeled haters for having legit opinions.

maxresdefault.jpg

You literally posted an article this morning suggesting that Trump was going to rely on the Korematzu case to create a registry for people of the Muslim religion.

Technically it was discussing an interview on Fox News where a Trump supporter said that.

Technically it was discussing an interview on Fox News where a Trump supporter said that.

Junebug probably heard about it from a conservative fake news hyperbole website with a headline: "Liberals Afraid to Imprison Islamic Terrorists"

Last edited:
This is such a frustrating post. Give a single example instead of "No real debate. No real discussion." Helluva self-fulfilling prophecy of a post.

Here are some MSM articles about troubles with immigration:

Fleeing Gangs, Central American Families Surge Toward U.S. (NY Times)
The Trump Side of Canadian Immigration
(NY Times)
The only immigration solution (Washington Post, Charles Krauthammer)
This is pretty awkward for people who criticize Donald Trump’s immigration plans (Washington Post)
Fascinating. One article basically argues for immigration, redefining it as a refugee crisis...without really talking about the conservative opinion that open borders policy creating a lot of that problem. Fail on your point. One is talking about Canadian immigration and doesn't really say anything pro or con about the issue, other than pointing out conservatives in Quebec pare worried about "values. I don't get the point of linking to that one. The last one is an article post election which basically says "now we have to deal with Trump's immigration plan"....yeah, now the MSM has to deal with it.

Krauthammer always talks the issues. I can give you that one.....sort of the new George Will. Look! Our token opinion guy who brings up conservative issues!

The problem conservatives have is basically summed up in this piece about ESPN...and it's not a fake news opinion piece, the article is quoting ESPN"s Public Editor, which I guess is like a ombudsman.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb...tor-agrees-viewers-network-has-moved-leftward

The employees have issues with the left leaning. The viewers have issues with it. People are afraid to talk about conservative issues. The ombudsman actually agreed. And the progressive response is “I would challenge those people who say they feel suppressed,” she said. “Do you fear backlash, or do you fear right and wrong?”.

So people honestly feel suppressed because of a backlash if they have an opinion, and the response is that's because they're wrong. That's the election dynamic right there and that attitude has infected the entire MSM and most public institutions.

Why is bias such a dirty word? We are all being conditioned to react negatively whenever confronted with the idea that we might be biased about something.

Back