• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fake News Stories and Facebook

Also, be sure if you WANT it to be true. If you want it to be true...well, than it is.

good news is journalism is going to really make a comeback after an 8 year hiatus. its exciting and the timing couldn't be more perfect.

completely irrelevant but that dude looks like a professional stock photo model

Unknown-20.jpeg

Here's a NY Times timeline of one of the most famous post-election fake news story.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/b...mailed&version=Full&src=me&WT.nav=MostEmailed

Eric Tucker, a 35-year-old co-founder of a marketing company in Austin, Tex., had just about 40 Twitter followers. But his recent tweet about paid protesters being bused to demonstrations against President-elect Donald J. Trump fueled a nationwide conspiracy theory — one that Mr. Trump joined in promoting.
Mr. Tucker's post was shared at least 16,000 times on Twitter and more than 350,000 times on Facebook. The problem is that Mr. Tucker got it wrong. There were no such buses packed with paid protesters.
But that didn't matter.

Mr. Tucker, who had taken photos of a large group of buses he saw near downtown Austin earlier in the day because he thought it was unusual, saw reports of protests against Mr. Trump in the city and decided the two were connected. He posted three of the images with the declaration: “Anti-Trump protestors in Austin today are not as organic as they seem. Here are the busses they came in. #fakeprotests #trump2016 #austin”

Mr. Tucker said he had performed a Google search to see if any conferences were being held in the area but did not find anything. (The buses were, in fact, hired by a company called Tableau Software, which was holding a conference that drew more than 13,000 people.)
“I did think in the back of my mind there could be other explanations, but it just didn’t seem plausible,” he said in an interview, noting that he had posted as a “private citizen who had a tiny Twitter following.”
He added, “I’m also a very busy businessman and I don’t have time to fact-check everything that I put out there, especially when I don’t think it’s going out there for wide consumption.”

I posted about it that morning, but I literally saw the protest organically form in front of the tower after I finished teaching at 11:50. When I walked by there were like ten people trying to chant and yell. I put my stuff down in my office and popped back out for lunch not fifteen minutes later and the entire mall was packed with people. No announcements, no Facebook groups, nothing. Then they proceeded to march around campus picking up more people and momentum before heading down Congress downtown. I could hear them marching up and down town until I left at nine that night.

Super interesting to watch something like that develop so naturally.

Did the buses arrive before or after

The buses were downtown, about a mile south of campus, so I never saw them. The tech conference was probably at the convention center. The capitol building is about halfway between campus and the convention center.

The buses were downtown, about a mile south of campus, so I never saw them. The tech conference was probably at the convention center. The capitol building is about halfway between campus and the convention center.

I'll be in Austin for thanksgiving

I posted about it that morning, but I literally saw the protest organically form in front of the tower after I finished teaching at 11:50. When I walked by there were like ten people trying to chant and yell. I put my stuff down in my office and popped back out for lunch not fifteen minutes later and the entire mall was packed with people. No announcements, no Facebook groups, nothing. Then they proceeded to march around campus picking up more people and momentum before heading down Congress downtown. I could hear them marching up and down town until I left at nine that night.

Super interesting to watch something like that develop so naturally.

What kinds of things were you chanting?

When did you notice that fake news does best with Trump supporters?

Well, this isn't just a Trump-supporter problem. This is a right-wing issue. Sarah Palin's famous blasting of the lamestream media is kind of record and testament to the rise of these kinds of people. The post-fact era is what I would refer to it as. This isn't something that started with Trump. This is something that's been in the works for a while. His whole campaign was this thing of discrediting mainstream media sources, which is one of those dog whistles to his supporters. When we were coming up with headlines it's always kind of about the red meat. Trump really got into the red meat. He knew who his base was. He knew how to feed them a constant diet of this red meat.

We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.

------

Some of these people that we ... bait is probably the right word — are often — let's call them the deplorables, right? They're not the safest crowd. Some of them I would consider domestic terrorists. So they're just not people that I want to be knocking on my door.
------

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...f-a-covert-fake-news-operation-in-the-suburbs

Well, this isn't just a Trump-supporter problem. This is a right-wing issue. Sarah Palin's famous blasting of the lamestream media is kind of record and testament to the rise of these kinds of people. The post-fact era is what I would refer to it as. This isn't something that started with Trump. This is something that's been in the works for a while. His whole campaign was this thing of discrediting mainstream media sources, which is one of those dog whistles to his supporters. When we were coming up with headlines it's always kind of about the red meat. Trump really got into the red meat. He knew who his base was. He knew how to feed them a constant diet of this red meat.

We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.

------

Some of these people that we ... bait is probably the right word — are often — let's call them the deplorables, right? They're not the safest crowd. Some of them I would consider domestic terrorists. So they're just not people that I want to be knocking on my door.
------

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...f-a-covert-fake-news-operation-in-the-suburbs

Can't trust MSM like NPR. I refuse to acknowledge this article.

CNN airing hardcore port for thirty minutes is my new favorite fake news story. Several news sources ran a story with a single tweet as a source.

------

------

Reminder: the MSM had all but declared her the winner. 81-19 chance; every poll in her favor.
But according to you guys, fake news is a right wing problem. Ph gonna Ph.

Reminder: the MSM had all but declared her the winner. 81-19 chance; every poll in her favor.
But according to you guys, fake news is a right wing problem. Ph gonna Ph.

So you think the "MSM" just made up those numbers?

#feelings

Back