• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage white supremacists

HBO Max just announced that they're pulling Gone With the Wind from their library of films until they can add some "historical context" at the beginning.

An HBO spokesperson stated that "Gone with the Wind" is "a product of its time and depicts some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace in American society...These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible."

The spokesperson added that when the film returns to HBO Max, it "will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions."

I sometimes read a facebook page on Classic Hollywood films, and there's a virtual meltdown going on there right now about this. Lots of claims that the film is "historically accurate" (it's not, of course) and that political correctness is running amok. Frankly, I'm surprised that most networks still show the film.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/media/gone-with-the-wind-hbo-max/index.html

Last edited:
I don't know NASCAR but this guy seems a-ok.

A black guy telling them to stop flying the Confederate flag should go over well with NASCAR’s target audience.

HBO Max just announced that they're pulling Gone With the Wind from their library of films until they can add some "historical context" at the beginning.

An HBO spokesperson stated that "Gone with the Wind" is "a product of its time and depicts some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace in American society...These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible."

The spokesperson added that when the film returns to HBO Max, it "will return with a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions."

I sometimes read a facebook page on Classic Hollywood films, and there's a virtual meltdown going on there right now about this. Lots of claims that the film is "historically accurate" (it's not, of course) and that political correctness is running amok. Frankly, I'm surprised that most networks still show the film.

Link: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/media/gone-with-the-wind-hbo-max/index.html

This seems like a good idea to add the context to the film BUT we don’t want to label Gone with the Wind as THE racist film before Hollywood solved racism. There are plenty more movies to tackle next.

I do like the idea of a bunch of MAGA dudes flocking to watch a 1930s era romantic drama to own the libs.

they probably already did earlier this year when Parasite won Best Picture and Trump mused at a rally what was wrong with Gone With the Wind?

Maybe they can replace Columbus statues with ones of Wrongway Corrigan.

I'm happy about these statues, that's great. When the fuck are we going to get rid of the asshole on the $20 bill? Can we finally get momentum for Harriet Tubman on the $20? The $20 bill led to a knee on George Floyd's neck. Let's change that $20.

Loser celebrates loser.

Yep, naming military bases for traitors, who took arms to kill American soldiers, makes sense....that "heritage" is of keeping slavery operational and being willing to destroy America to do it.

I get why conservatives grip to these things so much because in the modern era once they are gone they are done. Like some things are known to swing back and forth depending on which administration is in charge but good luck renaming things back to a confederate or putting up another statue once they are gone.

Seems like if our military had so many great heroes, then we wouldn't need to be scouring mediocre confederate generals to name things after.

I'm happy about these statues, that's great. When the fuck are we going to get rid of the asshole on the $20 bill? Can we finally get momentum for Harriet Tubman on the $20? The $20 bill led to a knee on George Floyd's neck. Let's change that $20.

Momentum? Trump blocked it from going in to affect

Back