• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage white supremacists

I thought Trump is presently being investigated.

More seriously, exactly what are you and Connor proposing? Criminalizing speech and belief systems? To some extent, the cops, feds and the SPLC do monitor hate groups and their online activities. There is a pretty big difference between saying/writing that Jews and blacks are scum and deserve to die and actually doing what Fields and the Pittsburgh guy did. I know there is now a new left wing orthodoxy that does want to criminalize hate speech, but just remember we also have a current administration that would love to criminalize all sorts of liberal speech. This is why the ACLU has always been pretty absolutist when it comes to protecting any kind of speech - because the 1st kind of speech that most governments want to crack down on is left wing speech.
Not true Canada has been hard at work fining and prosecuting comics for telling jokes.

Not true Canada has been hard at work fining and prosecuting comics for telling jokes.

If you mean a couple fines in 2016 and 2011, then you'd be right. It's not a policy and they haven't been "hard at work".

Examples?

here are a couple, though it seems like the system is just penalizing people for being hateful. but of course conservatives feel threatened when they can't act like assholes with impunity

This Comedian Was Fined $42,000 for Telling a Joke. His Response Was Perfect.
'I'll just move to Syria or Saudia Arabia or some country that respects free speech as much as Canada does.'

Slurs force comic to pay $15,000 for ‘tirade of ugly words' against lesbian patron after appeal falls flat

Guy Earle was ordered by the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to pay after a homosexual woman alleged his performance gave her post-traumatic stress disorder

here are a couple, though it seems like the system is just penalizing people for being hateful. but of course conservatives feel threatened when they can't act like assholes with impunity

'I'll just move to Syria or Saudia Arabia or some country that respects free speech as much as Canada does.'

Slurs force comic to pay $15,000 for ‘tirade of ugly words' against lesbian patron after appeal falls flat

Guy Earle was ordered by the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal to pay after a homosexual woman alleged his performance gave her post-traumatic stress disorder

It doesn't happen regularly or even often. Those happened in 2011 and 2016 respectively. It shouldn't be misrepresented as if comics are routinely censored.

not sure why the second link is broken : https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/supreme-court-upholds-decision-to-force-comedian-to-pay-15000-for-tirade-of-ugly-words-against-lesbian-heckler

So I'm guessing Rickles never did any Vancouver gigs.

the guy joking about the kid dying is Rickles-esque though not as effective/funny. He was a singular talent.

the second situation was just a guy being a fucking dick to human beings

the guy joking about the kid dying is Rickles-esque though not as effective/funny. He was a singular talent.

the second situation was just a guy being a fucking dick to human beings

I think 1 of the main reasons Rickles got away with what he did is because most everyone knew he was a sweetheart in real life. It's a bit odd, but I always liked him but couldn't stand Lisa Lampanelli. But when he died, I went on youtube to look up some of his old routines and also saw parts of Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" around the same time. I hadn't realized until that point that times had really changed as much as they had when it comes to stand up comedy. I mean, I like dark comics like Shanhope and filthy comics like Jefferies, and I consider myself anti-PC, but I had forgotten how okay it was to be that openly homophobic back in the day.

I think 1 of the main reasons Rickles got away with what he did is because most everyone knew he was a sweetheart in real life. It's a bit odd, but I always liked him but couldn't stand Lisa Lampanelli. But when he died, I went on youtube to look up some of his old routines and also saw parts of Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" around the same time. I hadn't realized until that point that times had really changed as much as they had when it comes to stand up comedy. I mean, I like dark comics like Shanhope and filthy comics like Jefferies, and I consider myself anti-PC, but I had forgotten how okay it was to be that openly homophobic back in the day.
Doug Stanhope is a great comedian.

I've heard that Cantwell isn't as stupid as most of these other knuckle draggers like Fields, but that's not his wisest public statement. But yeah, the jury came back quickly with life plus 400+ years for Fields today. Dude is only 21 years old too - what a waste. If he lives to a relatively old age, he'll cost us VA taxpayers about $2mil.

Which is still less than twenty or more years of appeals on a death sentence.

Which is still less than twenty or more years of appeals on a death sentence.

Probably about comparable these days. Though in this case, because capital wasn't charged, defense counsel didn't get the usual hourly rate for the tons of hours they put in. They instead have caps on what the state will pay them and could end up getting less than $20K for the Cville trial of the century, which is a travesty. But yeah, this is why I prefer it when murderers lose gun fights with the cops or off themselves - saves a ton of taxpayer money.

I've heard that Cantwell isn't as stupid as most of these other knuckle draggers like Fields, but that's not his wisest public statement. But yeah, the jury came back quickly with life plus 400+ years for Fields today. Dude is only 21 years old too - what a waste. If he lives to a relatively old age, he'll cost us VA taxpayers about $2mil.

It's a wasteful system. It costs at least half of his expected lifetime earnings to house him, etc for his lifetime. All the more reason why prison should be for the worst of the worst (like him). That would likely help keep the costs down.

It's a wasteful system. It costs at least half of his expected lifetime earnings to house him, etc for his lifetime. All the more reason why prison should be for the worst of the worst (like him). That would likely help keep the costs down.

In his case, above his lifetime earnings. Dude isn't below 70 but probably isn't far above it and has mental health issues. I think it costs $35-38K/year now to have you as a guest of the state, which would be above his pay grade. And after he's moved from the local jail, it'll probably be to Red Onion, which is our less than friendly supermax in SW VA.

Planned Attack On Muslim Community In Upstate New York Disrupted, Police Say

Police in upstate New York have arrested three men and a 16-year-old youth on weapons and conspiracy charges. The four allegedly plotted a bomb attack against an Islamic community. At a news conference Tuesday, police chief Patrick Phelan from Greece, N.Y., a suburb outside Rochester, said the suspects assembled an arsenal including more than 20 firearms and three improvised explosive devices.

In recent years Islamberg has become the target of suspicion and conspiracy theories among right-wing groups and conservative media, including the Alex Jones program Infowars. One broadcast on Fox News suggested that people in the Islamic "compound" were "stockpiling guns" in response to the election of President Trump.

Back