• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who is your all-time favorite Deac?

James McDougald deserves special mention. I remember him rushing for 200+ yards against Clemson. May never see that again by a Wake RB.

James McDougald deserves special mention. I remember him rushing for 200+ yards against Clemson. May never see that again by a Wake RB.

Speaking of things you may never see again....and I'm not sure if this has ever been done before by anyone else, though I guess it may have been in the long course of college football history:

I was at WF's 28-14 win in Durham in the 1970 championship season when we had three different players who rushed for over 100 yards in the same game.

Does anyone know if that has ever happened before? If it has, it has to be rare. 3 different players on the same team rushing for 100+ yards in the same game.

That was a result of Cal Stoll's veer offense....but, still, to have three different players with over 100 yards rushing in one game is almost unbelievable.

Auburn 1983: T Agee 219 yds, L James 115 yds and Bo 105 yds... vs Maryland.

HOWEVER....Other teams, in addition to Nevada, to get four rushers 100 yards were Army in 1984, Alabama in 1973, Texas in 1969, and Arizona State in 1951.

Last edited:
Auburn 1983: T Agee 219 yds, L James 115 yds and Bo 105 yds... vs Maryland.

HOWEVER....Other teams, in addition to Nevada, to get four rushers 100 yards were Army in 1984, Alabama in 1973, Texas in 1969, and Arizona State in 1951.

That is an amazing stat.

ETA: That 1970 WF team was special. Only went 6-5 because of a killer non-conference schedule (@Nebraska, @Florida State, Virginia Tech, @Tennessee, @Houston....have you ever seen a 5-game non-conference schedule like that?), but that late-season run which included a Big Four sweep with the Carolina miracle win (14-13 with the 3-minute 94-yard drive at the end of the game after trailing 13-0 in the 4th quarter), the 28-14 win over a good Duke team in Durham, and the 16-13 home win over NC State for Wake's first-ever ACC title made for a year to remember forever.

Well, Packer's name is rarely mentioned in discussions of Wake's past stars...

Packer didn't exactly endear himself during his broadcast years. In an effort, I assume, not to be a Homer for Wake, he seemed to go in the opposite direction and bash Wake whenever he could. Kind of the anti-Arnie as an ambassador for the school.

No love for any of the golfers? We were a golf school winning back to back NCAA in the 70's. So, I have to give a nod to Curtis Strange (and Jay Haas)

Packer didn't exactly endear himself during his broadcast years. In an effort, I assume, not to be a Homer for Wake, he seemed to go in the opposite direction and bash Wake whenever he could. Kind of the anti-Arnie as an ambassador for the school.

No love for any of the golfers? We were a golf school winning back to back NCAA in the 70's. So, I have to give a nod to Curtis Strange (and Jay Haas)

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I tend to think that Packer was probably a little bitter at WF when he was not given a chance to get the WF coaching job when it came open while he was a WF assistant. Packer's dad was the coach at Lehigh and...as he proved in his long career announcing college basketball...Packer was an excellent student of the game. Packer might also have been a good recruiter. He pushed the University very hard to go after Artis Gilmore while he was an assistant at Wake, in spite of some academic problems that would have had to be worked out.

Last edited:
I have no way of knowing for sure, but I tend to think that Packer was probably a little bitter at WF when he was not given a chance to get the WF coaching job when it came open while he was a WF assistant. Packer's dad was the coach at Lehigh and...as he proved in his long career announcing college basketball...Packer was an excellent student of the game. Packer might also have been a good recruiter. He pushed the University very hard to go after Artis Gilmore while he was an assistant at Wake, in spite of some academic problems that would have had to be worked out.

Has more to do with Charlie Davis getting passed over for a promotion from what I've always heard.

Lots of people have mentioned Arnie. For me Jim Simons is a sentimental pick, given that he was the last amateur to lead a major after three rounds and how he battled substance abuse and other tragedy before dying far too early.

I'm going to change mine to Ed Bradley, since he was a friend of my sister's, and CD has been mentioned several times. Really nice guy who I got to see play in person with my sister in the Steeler's playoff game against the O.J. Simpson led Bills in 1974.

Back