• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roughly 3 weeks into Trump as PEOTUS...

Yeah. See? FMR is a reasonable dude and this is already about Mattis than the law. Amazing how easily Trump can make this about the man and not the law compared to how Obama couldn't make the SCOTUS nomination about Garland instead of the election.

Yeah. See? FMR is a reasonable dude and this is already about Mattis than the law. Amazing how easily Trump can make this about the man and not the law compared to how Obama couldn't make the SCOTUS nomination about Garland instead of the election.

Well we know Trump isn't trying to Bering about a global caliphate, so we can trust him.

Unemployment is down to its lowest rate since 2007. Trump is just crushing it.

No fan of either major party because of partisan hacks, ideologies, and special interests that own them. Garland was also emminently qualified and it was painful for McConnell to claim he was a scary liberal. Same thing with Obama, HRC, and Feinstein refusing to confirm Roberts. Sadly I understand some root for partisan jerseys and all situations aren't equal, but pols need to pick their battles wisely. Tough since they're inherently asshole weasels, but WI Dems fleeing the state to avoid ending collective bargaining or Cruz's government shut down were both shitty.

Have never liked HRC, but would have preferred her or stoner Johnson over Trump because of the Supreme Court. Would prefer Petraeus over Rudy for SOS if those were the only two choices. Since Dems can't do shit on their own, need to pick their battles judiciously. Sadly there will likely be more worthy cabinet confirmation battles than fighting changing the 7 year law, especially since Dems will only be able to block it via filibuster. Keep their powder dry for more controversial battles.

Not applicable since Dems already nuked the filibuster for cabinet appointments. That being said, would still be ridiculous. Mattis in eminently qualified. Also has a great back story: enlisted man, later graduted from Central Washington, became a General, and an extremely bright guy.

Don't like Flynn because he's an erratic asshole, not because he didn't go to West Point. Would have been no big deal if Harriet Miers were a great legal mind who went to SMU. Perfectly fine to dislike Bubba for all the shit he's done, but silly to bag on him for being an Ivy educated Rhodes Scholar. Individual merit matters whether you're Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Scottie Pippen, or Steph Curry. Elites vs non-elites is a bizarre battle, just reward the best possible people and don't over or under weight resume.

Congress will need to pass a law allowing for an exception before Mattis gets an up or down vote for approval so Dems could still filibuster

Like when he said "We condemn bigotry and prejudice in all of its forms, we denounce all of the hatred, and we forcefully reject the language of exclusion" and the crowd got reeeeeeeal quiet?

Reading the transcript today about what got applause and what didn't (and also seeing it pretty clear that for once he was reading a speech somebody wrote for him rather than just going off the cuff and not completing sentences), he's got a long way to go, but the pivot is pretty damn fascinating.

I stupidly subjected myself to about 45 mins of it. It was mostly ad-libbed and very similar to his campaign speeches. It was painfully obvious when he went back to reading his prepared remarks.

Not applicable since Dems already nuked the filibuster for cabinet appointments. That being said, would still be ridiculous. Mattis in eminently qualified. Also has a great back story: enlisted man, later graduted from Central Washington, became a General, and an extremely bright guy.

Don't like Flynn because he's an erratic asshole, not because he didn't go to West Point. Would have been no big deal if Harriet Miers were a great legal mind who went to SMU. Perfectly fine to dislike Bubba for all the shit he's done, but silly to bag on him for being an Ivy educated Rhodes Scholar. Individual merit matters whether you're Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Scottie Pippen, or Steph Curry. Elites vs non-elites is a bizarre battle, just reward the best possible people and don't over or under weight resume.

Read up like five posts to where I talked about how this doesn't apply here

The breezy tone of the readout left diplomats in Washington slack-jawed, with some initially assuming it was a parody. In particular, they zeroed in on Mr. Trump’s offer to Mr. Sharif “to play any role you want me to play to address and find solutions to the country’s problems.”

That was interpreted by some in India as an offer by the United States to mediate Pakistan’s border dispute with India in Kashmir, something that the Pakistanis have long sought and that India has long resisted.

“By taking such a cavalier attitude to these calls, he’s encouraging people not to take him seriously,” said Daniel F. Feldman, a former special representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan. “He’s made himself not only a bull in a china shop, but a bull in a nuclear china shop.”

Husain Haqqani, a former Pakistani ambassador to Washington, said his government’s decision to release a rough transcript of Mr. Trump’s remarks was a breach of protocol that demonstrated how easily Pakistani leaders misread signals from their American counterparts.

“Pakistan is one country where knowing history and details matters most,” Mr. Haqqani said, “and where the U.S. cannot afford to give wrong signals, given the history of misunderstandings.”

Can't wait for at least 4 more years of this.

Isn't this how Hitler took power? Lied to scare everybody?

Now is the time to make money and a lot of it. Pick something that has lots of feelings, not supported by facts, and go all in promoting it.

Anyone want to help me write my anti-vaccine book, I'm looking at you townie. It will be everything I know but the opposite, i have the knowledge, you have the writing skills. I'm thinking probably need someone like Bob1 and Bob2. Bob2 to gather feedback from our target audiences, Bob1 to provide historical perspective of how everyone was healthy 50 years ago, no vaccines, and look he's still alive.

Back