• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roughly 3 weeks into Trump as PEOTUS...

You can get a freebie on it. Point of the author is Trump could be a giant fuckup in many ways but he is also extremely pragmatic and there will likely be benefits from this that Obama could never bring to the table.

I couldn't get the whole article. Post the freebie next time. I'm going off this post. How does Holman Jenkins conclude Trump is "extremely pragmatic?"

Last edited:
I couldn't get the whole article. Post the freebie next time. I'm going off this post. How does Holman Jenkins conclude Trump is "extremely pragmatic?"

Shooting from the hip no less.

No need to get your undies in a ball over an article you didn't bother to read. It is possible, you know, for Trump to have life experiences that Obama will never have and vice versa. Experiences that might be useful in some ways.

No need to get your undies in a ball over an article you didn't bother to read. It is possible, you know, for Trump to have life experiences that Obama will never have and vice versa. Experiences that might be useful in some ways.

Ok, he has has useful life experiences. I can't read it because it is a pay article. Sorry I didn't read it. I feel pretty familiar with Trump and his career and pragmatic is not the first word that leaps to mind. It is a word I would use to describe Obama, almost to a fault. So you still haven't described how the author arrived at this conclusion that Obama is not pragmatic, and trump is extremely so. :noidea:

Divorce, bankruptcy, pussy grabbing, settling $25MM lawsuits...etc.

Ok, he has has useful life experiences. I can't read it because it is a pay article. Sorry I didn't read it. I feel pretty familiar with Trump and his career and pragmatic is not the first word that leaps to mind. It is a word I would use to describe Obama, almost to a fault. So you still haven't described how the author arrived at this conclusion that Obama is not pragmatic, and trump is extremely so. :noidea:

Go back and see the post I wrote to Ph. Then instead of me talking about you being a lifetime academic who won't be able to see things from my life perspective and is inclined to not acknowledge what he can't see, let's just chalk your reaction up to you being so angered by how we ended up with this result that you won't be prone to see how Trump could bring certain qualities to the job that may be of some value that Obama doesn't possess. And, to be clear, the article acknowledge what we all already feel - that Trump could fuck plenty of things up. It's an article. It made an interesting point. That's all.

The basic premise of the article is that Obama isn't pragmatic because he didn't embrace fracking and oil infrastructure even when it would have created American jobs. Regardless of whether that's right or not, it seems a bit silly to try to define a person as "pragmatic" or "not pragmatic" based on their actions in one specific area. People aren't monolithic

DeacMan, you posted a link to an article behind a firewall. Don't blame us for not reading it.

You could just cut and paste it if you really care about us reading it.

The basic premise of the article is that Obama isn't pragmatic because he didn't embrace fracking and oil infrastructure even when it would have created American jobs. Regardless of whether that's right or not, it seems a bit silly to try to define a person as "pragmatic" or "not pragmatic" based on their actions in one specific area. People aren't monolithic

Ah yes. "He's not pragmatic because I'm dogmatic."

Go back and see the post I wrote to Ph. Then instead of me talking about you being a lifetime academic who won't be able to see things from my life perspective and is inclined to not acknowledge what he can't see, let's just chalk your reaction up to you being so angered by how we ended up with this result that you won't be prone to see how Trump could bring certain qualities to the job that may be of some value that Obama doesn't possess. And, to be clear, the article acknowledge what we all already feel - that Trump could fuck plenty of things up. It's an article. It made an interesting point. That's all.

I'm a lifetime academic? I'm confused

There are other ways to make jobs for Americans, ways that embrace the new information economy or sustainable energy (rather than reject it outright), that don't involve unsustainable and environmentally devastating jobs that will disappear within the decade anyway.

This country has lost all sense of imagination. Political and otherwise.

ETA: I'm not implying that this is a partisan issue, either.

Last edited:

Hell, a good argument could be made that with an educated, informed eye on the environment and renewable energy that it was more pragmatic to not embrace fracking and oil. Sounds like it was a shitty op/ed without merit.

Hell, a good argument could be made that with an educated, informed eye on the environment and renewable energy that it was more pragmatic to not embrace fracking and oil. Sounds like it was a shitty op/ed without merit.

Well I think the argument was that putting the environment ahead of these oil infrastructure projects was not pragmatic because the focus on the environment didn't actually make the environment any better

Well I think the argument was that putting the environment ahead of these oil infrastructure projects was not pragmatic because the focus on the environment didn't actually make the environment any better

We've stopped measuring?

So, once again, I ask for a serious answer to the question. If Obama had done everything that Trump has done thus far, would you have supported his actions?

Unzipped and waiting...

It is quite enjoyable to read the board left losing its mind about Trump. Definitely shows they don't get it at all.

Personally, I think Trump is off to an incredibly good start. Much better than I would have thought possible for him.

The appointment of Mad Dog is genius and the public will love him. Saving the jobs for the Carrier plant is just as fantastic. He is interviewing people that hated him pre-president which shows an unexpected level of magnanimity. Stock market is in love with Trump and potential policies. The Taiwan thing: seriously guys, again the people will love him. He will speak with Taiwan or whom ever else he pleases. If China gets pissy, that's on them. He is replacing a president that thought trading five Taliban leaders for one traitor was a win and was constantly kowtowing to Iran in order to keep that rotten deal in place. It's a new world we are living in today and you guys need to recognize.

Trump is totally kicking ass and apparently the left is freaking out. So worth the price of admission and we may even get a kick ass economy out of it.

Life is good.

Last edited:
It is quite enjoyable to read the board left losing its mind about Trump. Definitely shows they don't get it at all.

Personally, I think Trump is off to an incredibly good start. Much better than I would have thought possible for him.

The appointment of Mad Dog is genius and the public will love him. Saving the jobs for the Carrier plant is just as fantastic. He is interviewing people that hated him pre-president which shows an unexpected level of magnanimity. Stock market is in love with Trump and potential policies. The Taiwan thing: seriously guys, again the people will love him. He will speak with Taiwan or whom ever else he pleases. If China gets pissy, that's on them. He is replacing a president that thought trading five Taliban leaders for one traitor was a win and was constantly kowtowing to Iran in order to keep that rotten deal in place. It's a new world we are living in today and you guys need to recognize.

Trump is totally kicking ass and apparently the left is freaking out. So worth the price of admission and we may even get a kick ass economy out of it.

Life is good.

We have a kick ass economy currently.

Life is good.

What don't "they" get?

Back