• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Sanctuary Campus

lol at a uncg grad having an opinion here. might want to sit this one out buddy.

lol at a uncg grad having an opinion here. might want to sit this one out buddy.

As one of the few people on these boards who actually works around and interacts with a large immigrant community, I think I'll hang around.

Also I ain't no Spartan. Wrong school brah.

Last edited:
ok berniebro that sat the elction out. i'm sure you are a YUGE immigrants' rights activist.

As one of the few people on these boards who actually works around and interacts with a large immigrant community, I think I'll hang around.

Also I ain't no Spartan. Wrong school brah.

so you're for or against the sanctuary city/school, er, 'movement' or not, then

Last edited:
of couse he is. he wants to report his students to get that class size down.

of couse he is. he wants to report his students to get that class size down.

i don't actually think brasky dislikes immigrants

he just likes to feel superior as a FAKE ASS nihilist

How in the hell would other students know whether or not someone was an illegal immigrant?

Why are people so obsessed with providing "sanctuary" to people who are in this country illegally?

as a resident of a sanctuary city, i don't want my local tax dollars going to pursuing undocumented immigrants. i also largely disagree with our federal stance on immigration and the way to enact a difference is locally.

Why are people so obsessed with providing "sanctuary" to people who are in this country illegally?

Can't speak for everybody, but I think the American Association of University Professors did a good job with their statement. Not quite an obsession, but:

Of special importance is the status of those among our students who are undocumented, many of whom have been in this country since early childhood. Concern for the welfare of these students has already prompted a rash of petitions calling on colleges and universities to become "sanctuary campuses." We support the movement for sanctuary campuses. While colleges and universities must obey the law, administrations must make all efforts to guarantee the privacy of immigrant students and pledge not to grant access to information that might reveal their immigration status unless so ordered by a court of law. Nor should colleges and universities gather information about the citizenship or immigration status of people who have interactions with the administration, including with campus police. College and university police should not themselves participate in any efforts to enforce immigration laws, which are under federal jurisdiction. Faculty members should join efforts to resist all attempts to intimidate or inappropriately investigate undocumented students or to deny them their full rights to due process and a fair hearing.

Seems fairly straightforward to me why students, faculty, staff, administration, and leadership would want to stand by and protect undocumented students. They're just members of the community.

Most (if not all) of the undocumented people I have met are some of the hardest working people I know. I also don't buy that they are "taking people's jobs." Most of these people perform jobs that other people don't want to do. Spending valuable tax dollars to get rid of them seems stupid.

If Trump sticks to his post-election jargon and only deports illegals with criminal records, then I have no problems with his policy.

I doubt his immigration policy will differ much from the current administration, who are the all-time leaders in deportation.

Why are people so obsessed with rounding up people who aren't American who are trying to get a college education?

Seems like starting with the rapists and murderers makes sense.

I'm still waiting to hear what Wake is going to do to provide sanctuary besides patting itself on the back

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to hear what Wake is going to do to provide sanctuary besides patting itself on the back

For these reasons, we ask that you adopt a public, written policy communicating the following protections:

1. The University ensures that student privacy remains guaranteed and thus refuses all voluntary information sharing with ICE/CBP across all aspects of the University to the fullest extent possible under the law;

2. The University refuses ICE physical access to all land owned or controlled by the University;

3. The University prohibits campus security from inquiring about or recording an individual’s immigration status or enforcing immigration laws or participating with ICE/CBP in actions;

4. The University does not use E-verify;

5. The University prohibits housing discrimination based on immigration status;

6. The University guarantees existing financial aid packages to undocumented students and pledges that future aid packages will not be determined by immigration status;

7. The University pledges to provide robust support services for undocumented students, for example (but not limited to) legal aid and counseling services;

8. The University vows to ensure the safety of women, people of color, LGBTQ+ community members, Muslims, low-income students, people with disabilities, and all other individuals who will face heightened threat over the coming months and years. In particular, the University should expedite implementation of the recommendations in regards to diversity and inclusion outlined on the Wake Forest Community in Progress website.[4] In addition, the University should ensure that the bias reporting and response system is robust enough to respond to any hate crimes or bias incidents that occur on campus in the wake of the election.

This policy shall be enforced by all University staff and all contractors and subcontractors and their employees working on property owned or controlled by the University.

Additionally, we request that the University commit to ongoing dialogue with the students about additions to the University policy and support for community efforts that protect immigrants and other members of marginalized communities who study, live, and work at the University and their families and the community.

Back