• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Sanctuary Campus

wake tryna say it's a better college than the electoral college? seems unamerican imo. they need to send the petitioners to see hamilton.

For these reasons, we ask that you adopt a public, written policy communicating the following protections:

1. The University ensures that student privacy remains guaranteed and thus refuses all voluntary information sharing with ICE/CBP across all aspects of the University to the fullest extent possible under the law;

2. The University refuses ICE physical access to all land owned or controlled by the University;

3. The University prohibits campus security from inquiring about or recording an individual’s immigration status or enforcing immigration laws or participating with ICE/CBP in actions;

4. The University does not use E-verify;

Thanks. The first four seem to be the only things remotely contentious, the rest is self-congratulatory drivel.

1 - Student privacy laws, already covered.

2 - Good luck impeding a federal action/investigation. Hopefully the professors signing this are willing to be the one's blocking the gate. Ask the people in Little Rock how that went in 1957.

3 - THIS IS THE ONLY LEGIT POINT

4 - You might have some issues with the tax man on this one. Is MSD going to pay under the table?

Lol at point 8 just randomly being thrown in there to appease SJW snowflakes.

Why are people so obsessed with rounding up people who aren't American who are trying to get a college education?

Seems like starting with the rapists and murderers makes sense.

Exactly, which is what will happen. No one is making a credible threat that are going to round up and deport all undocumented aliens - or those that are in college. That is a non-issue.

Most (if not all) of the undocumented people I have met are some of the hardest working people I know. I also don't buy that they are "taking people's jobs." Most of these people perform jobs that other people don't want to do. Spending valuable tax dollars to get rid of them seems stupid.

Well,there is a theory that a lot of undocumented workers work for minimum wage or even less because they can't complain. Take that work force away and employers will be forced to pay more and, maybe, just maybe, other people would want to do that work. I don't know - it is a complicated question.

as a resident of a sanctuary city, i don't want my local tax dollars going to pursuing undocumented immigrants. i also largely disagree with our federal stance on immigration and the way to enact a difference is locally.

same.

We're going to be pretty screwed if the status affects our ability to receive any Federal/DOJ dollars, though.

We should keep undocumented hard workers and deport the lazy rednecks!

as a resident of a sanctuary city, i don't want my local tax dollars going to pursuing undocumented immigrants. i also largely disagree with our federal stance on immigration and the way to enact a difference is locally.

I admit I am not that educated on this stuff - so, what do you see as our 'federal stance on immigration' and what about it do you disagree with?

same.

We're going to be pretty screwed if the status affects our ability to receive any Federal/DOJ dollars, though.

how about we trade no federal tax dollars received for paid?

I didn't watch the video but I assumed the comment earlier was talking about our current federal policy on immigration, since it was worded in the present tense, and not the thoughts of someone who is not even in office yet and obviously hasn't implemented any of his policy ideas yet and may never be able to.

Looks like there's a petition going around trying to make WF a sanctuary campus. Quite a few faculty have already signed it.

https://docs.google.com/a/wfu.edu/f...QzXP_knQH7jPvkCZhJdv1aYdCYoA/viewform?c=0&w=1

Consequently somebody started one against WF being a sanctuary campus.

https://docs.google.com/a/wfu.edu/f...C9H4zR5KRqvBgmsDUWZ-UY-mIXqZ3G1V3zjA/viewform

Columbia adopted this. I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's not Wake Forest's job to enforce immigration law, and they're certainly not legally required to do so.

Thanks. The first four seem to be the only things remotely contentious, the rest is self-congratulatory drivel.

1 - Student privacy laws, already covered.

2 - Good luck impeding a federal action/investigation. Hopefully the professors signing this are willing to be the one's blocking the gate. Ask the people in Little Rock how that went in 1957.

3 - THIS IS THE ONLY LEGIT POINT

4 - You might have some issues with the tax man on this one. Is MSD going to pay under the table?

I think this means not allowing them to enter without a warrant. Which is totally fine legally. At least that's what the plan Columbia adopted is

Nathan O. Hatch said:
Dear Wake Forest Community,

After the presidential election I emailed you with a personal reflection on one of the most divisive periods in recent American history. I wrote that day, and continue to believe, that our Wake Forest community profoundly values intellectual discourse, diverse viewpoints, and, most importantly, one another. I concluded those reflections by recognizing that the one choice we have every day is how we treat one another.

Those same beliefs underscore my desire to communicate with you now. I recently received petitions signed by members of the Wake Forest community urging me to declare Wake Forest as a sanctuary for students, staff and their family members who believe that they may face potential deportation. I have also been given a petition urging me to follow federal immigration law and cooperate with federal law enforcement. I do not believe adopting the position of either petition will strengthen our community. While I will not sign either statement, I will do everything within my power as the president of Wake Forest University to support every member our community in their pursuit of an education.

I am prepared to use the resources at my disposal to uphold the values to which I have committed myself as the leader of Wake Forest. To that end, I joined hundreds of other university leaders in signing the petition asking the president-elect to uphold, continue and expand the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy implemented in 2012. Wake Forest is also a member of the “Every Campus a Refuge” program, providing housing and other forms of support for newly-arrived political refugees from around the globe. Our campus is richer for our diverse population and we will continue to provide financial aid, support services, and connection to legal resources for undocumented students.

I empathize deeply with the fear created by recent political rhetoric and I recognize that within our community there are many who feel unsafe, unvalued, or unwelcome because of the current divisive climate. I pledge to you my full support, and that of the wonderfully talented staff that are here to help you get the most from your Wake Forest experience. Regardless of background or beliefs, each of us came to Wake Forest because it offered the opportunity to better ourselves and serve the people and causes we hold most dear. We are challenged by, and therefore bettered by, our differences. We must earn the right to be a community where ideas and values are openly challenged and discussed in moments like this one. It is when the forces around us threaten to pull us apart that we must redouble our commitment to find one another in conversation and community.

We will continue to work with individuals, student groups and advocacy groups representing the full political and social spectrum. You can expect additional guidance from Wake Forest administrators on how we will help our community navigate the uncertainty surrounding future immigration law. I am confident that we can uphold Wake Forest’s most time-honored values through civil discourse and a true willingness to learn from one another. As a community, I believe we are up to that challenge.

Wow he really pussed out (no surprise there). Kind of BS that he characterized the other petition as "urging him to follow federal immigration law." Federal immigration law does not require universities to report undocumented immigrants to DHS. Nothing in the Sanctuary Campus petition would have required him to break federal immigration law.

Anyway, it probably doesn't matter because as I understand it Wake already is for all intents and purposes a Sanctuary Campus and will probably continue to be. But he lost a chance to make a symbolic statement and own what he's already doing anyway

For point of comparison, this is what Columbia sent to students the other day:

Dear fellow members of the Columbia community:

The presidential election has prompted intense concern for the values we hold dear and for members of our community who are apprehensive about what the future holds. Some of this concern is focused on possible changes to immigration laws and to the federal enforcement of those laws. Some is due to possible changes elsewhere in federal law and policy. Reports of bias crimes and harassment occurring since the election are also deeply disturbing, particularly so when those who feel threatened are part of a community like ours, committed to tolerance and reason.

President Bollinger has asked me to work with the University administration and our community to develop a response to these concerns. I am writing to share information about relevant policies and our plans for ensuring that every person at Columbia feels safe, is able to proceed unimpeded with their studies and their work, and understands beyond question that Columbia’s dedication to inclusion and diversity is and will remain unwavering.

First, the University will neither allow immigration officials on our campuses without a warrant, nor share information on the immigration status of undocumented students with those officials unless required by subpoena or court order, or authorized by a student. Moreover, New York City continues to be a sanctuary city, with special protections for undocumented immigrants, and Mayor de Blasio recently affirmed that local law enforcement officials will continue to operate consistent with that commitment.

If the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) policy is terminated or substantially curtailed and students with DACA status lose the right to work, the University pledges to expand the financial aid and other support we make available to undocumented students, regardless of their immigration status. It is of the utmost importance that federal policies and laws do not derail the education of students whose enrollment at Columbia and other colleges or universities is made possible by DACA. We subscribe to the view of the Association of American Universities that “DACA should be upheld, continued and expanded,” and we will continue to express that commitment in the future.

To provide additional support, the Office of University Life is hosting a series of small-group, private information sessions specifically for undocumented students in our community, including DACA recipients, to offer support and guidance regarding possible changes in the law. Affected students can contact the Office directly for more information. Separately, our International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) is scheduling information sessions and is prepared to provide assistance via its telephone helplines to any of our international students with questions or concerns. For more information about resources, support, and reporting options regarding discrimination and harassment, please visit the Office of University Life website.

The commitments outlined above emerge from values that define what we stand for and who we are as a University community. Indeed, Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science have amplified their commitment to undocumented undergraduate students pursuing their first degrees by continuing to meet their full financial aid needs as has long been our policy and also by treating applications of undocumented students no differently than those of students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The experience of undocumented students at the College and Columbia Engineering, from the time they first seek admission through their graduation, will not be burdened in any way by their undocumented status.

This is a moment for us to bear in mind how important it is to protect all who study and teach in our community and to defend the institution and the values it embodies.

Sincerely,

John H. Coatsworth
Provost

Yeah, Wake should just become a "sanctuary campus", whatever the fuck that means. Sounds like a good way to dry up donations from the olds.

Look, foreign students have to register. If they don't and the school is knowingly not in compliance, they can get in big trouble. It might be the Hans Blix kind of trouble, but you can't have a concerted effort to defy federal law and not face financial consequences, be it donations from your conservative base, fines, or withholding of federal funds. This kind of thing reminds me of when they used to build cardboard cities on campus for a night or two to bring attention to the plight of the homeless. Gimme a fucking break. It turned into an excuse to get drunk and make green space muddy. Sanctuary campus? Yeah, go right out and build a fucking tent city on the quad to show your support, assclowns.

Nothing says "inclusive" more than $60,000.00 annual cost of attendance. Self-awareness to self-importance ratio wildly unbalanced.

Back