• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Sanctuary Campus

Now that ELC has chimed in everyone knows that sanctuary campus is the right thing to do.

Funny.

I thought the issue was settled when SCOTUS ruled the feds have sole and exclusive jurisdiction to enforce immigration law, as opposed to states, cities, or universities. Of course, that case involved Arizona wanting to assist federal law enforcement and writing law that mirrored the federal law. Not enforcing the law must fall into its own nuanced category. I'm sure Trump will be happy to withhold federal funding for any cities or educational institutions that want to embark on such folly. When the NIH grants dry up, I suspect they'll change their tune.

Funny.

I thought the issue was settled when SCOTUS ruled the feds have sole and exclusive jurisdiction to enforce immigration law, as opposed to states, cities, or universities. Of course, that case involved Arizona wanting to assist federal law enforcement and writing law that mirrored the federal law. Not enforcing the law must fall into its own nuanced category. I'm sure Trump will be happy to withhold federal funding for any cities or educational institutions that want to embark on such folly. When the NIH grants dry up, I suspect they'll change their tune.

Does that mean that sanctuary cities and their residents don't have to pay federal taxes?

I admit I am not that educated on this stuff - so, what do you see as our 'federal stance on immigration' and what about it do you disagree with?

and yet you comment anyway

what's it take to get educated about something these days? 15 minutes?

Last edited:
I didn't watch the video but I assumed the comment earlier was talking about our current federal policy on immigration, since it was worded in the present tense, and not the thoughts of someone who is not even in office yet and obviously hasn't implemented any of his policy ideas yet and may never be able to.

Didnt watch the video, commented anyway

Funny.

This is a drastically misleading oversimplification of that case. States (and public universities) are in very different situations than private universities. I'm pretty sure that Congress could require private universities to provide this information. There's a much bigger problem if they try to coerce public universities to do it.

Last edited:
A lot of private schools are getting in on this or formulating plans. The oldest Georgia senator has already wrote a bill to strip any state funding to schools that provide sanctuary, mostly specifically targeting Emory.

He's a state representative and it's a fair argument. If a school wants to receive state support, then those dollars might come with strings.

and yet you comment anyway

what's it take to get educated about something these days? 15 minutes?

Why you gotta be so negative? I was just admitting that I am no expert and I was honestly curious about what he felt was bad about our federal policies. I respect most of the people on this board. Most of them are well educated and know a lot more than I do about a lot of stuff. I like to hear other opinions and I learn a lot of stuff right here - without actually having to go do even 15 minutes of research. But it is getting so I hesitate more and more to even ask a question because everyone assumes every question comes with a hidden agenda.

This is a drastically misleading oversimplification of that case. States (and public universities) are in very different situations than private universities. I'm pretty sure that Congress could require private universities to provide this information. There's a much bigger problem if they try to coerce public universities to do it.

i realize that public and private universities are in different situations, but private schools still have research dollars that come from the feds. It's why a school like Baylor and its massive medical facilities can't just say FU about Title IX stuff.

He's a state representative and it's a fair argument. If a school wants to receive state support, then those dollars might come with strings.

For some schools, Emory being one of them, they could easily tell the state to fuck off. The federal government and the implication of that are much great as far as funding goes, especially research as pointed out.

Why you gotta be so negative? I was just admitting that I am no expert and I was honestly curious about what he felt was bad about our federal policies. I respect most of the people on this board. Most of them are well educated and know a lot more than I do about a lot of stuff. I like to hear other opinions and I learn a lot of stuff right here - without actually having to go do even 15 minutes of research. But it is getting so I hesitate more and more to even ask a question because everyone assumes every question comes with a hidden agenda.

Why did I need to watch the video since it obviously had nothing to do with our current federal policy on immigration, which is what I was asking about?

I think my issue is that you're always asking posters for their opinions on things and you tend to disagree with them, but you never really post your own. I'm sorry if my posts come across as negative.

I guess my followup, if you're genuinely uninformed, is: why do you have to be so uninformed? There's a big difference between being an expert in legal doctrine, law enforcement, and federal/state legislation (which I don't think many of us are - though there definitely are some experts on here), and being informed about the issues. Nobody on here is a tabula rasa on any issue, whether that's DAPL, Caitlyn Jenner, etc. We all come in here with preconceived notions formed by one source or another, one experience or another. If you read a newspaper once a week, then you should know something about the basic contours of debates around DACA, Sanctuary Cities, and the Sanctuary Campus movement. The former was a national news story, the second has been a national news story since the 80s, and the latter has been all over the news since the election.

As for your second post: Our current federal policy on immigration doesn't really matter all that much. It's also been discussed endlessly on here with variation in opinions along the political spectrum (unlike some issues discussed on here). The President Elect has pledged to make an already invasive system more Draconian; it's worth knowing what he plans to do, how he plans to do so, and when.

i realize that public and private universities are in different situations, but private schools still have research dollars that come from the feds. It's why a school like Baylor and its massive medical facilities can't just say FU about Title IX stuff.

I mean, it seems like the actual sanctuary campus initiative will entail school administration trying to shield undocumented students and workers from outside law enforcement for incidents on school grounds. I don't know how much of a problem this actually is (because universities and law enforcement are intentionally awful about reporting crime statistics), but it seems like this is a matter of not sending on-campus problems to law enforcement, unless they absolutely warrant such intervention. Come to think of it, though, I can't really imagine a scenario where ICE would be the first organization called to intervene in an on-campus dispute. For schools that have law enforcement that works closely with and is trained by city and county law enforcement, however, this could be a much bigger problem.

I think my issue is that you're always asking posters for their opinions on things and you tend to disagree with them, but you never really post your own. I'm sorry if my posts come across as negative.

I guess my followup, if you're genuinely uninformed, is: why do you have to be so uninformed? There's a big difference between being an expert in legal doctrine, law enforcement, and federal/state legislation (which I don't think many of us are - though there definitely are some experts on here), and being informed about the issues. Nobody on here is a tabula rasa on any issue, whether that's DAPL, Caitlyn Jenner, etc. We all come in here with preconceived notions formed by one source or another, one experience or another. If you read a newspaper once a week, then you should know something about the basic contours of debates around DACA, Sanctuary Cities, and the Sanctuary Campus movement. The former was a national news story, the second has been a national news story since the 80s, and the latter has been all over the news since the election.

As for your second post: Our current federal policy on immigration doesn't really matter all that much. It's also been discussed endlessly on here with variation in opinions along the political spectrum (unlike some issues discussed on here). The President Elect has pledged to make an already invasive system more Draconian; it's worth knowing what he plans to do, how he plans to do so, and when.

That's strange. If I never post my own opinions, how do you know I disagree?

A lot of these issues are complicated and maybe I like to hear other people's opinions to see if maybe I should learn something to develop or change my own.

I have no idea what DAPL or DACA stand for. I know who Caitlyn is. I have some notion of what sanctuary cities and campuses are but have no understanding of why anyone would think they are necessary or a good idea.

If our actual current federal policy on immigration has been discussed in detail here I must have missed it - I don't, in fact, read everything here. And, to the point of the question I originally asked, that is all that matters since the comment I was responding to was one of disagreement with that policy.

As for what our president-elect has said, I don't really put a lot of stock into that, or worry too much about it. He also said he was going to prosecute Hillary and a lot of other stuff that will never happen.

Not really, it's just glaringly inconsistent. "We want to include others on this campus....so long as they are, ya know, wealthy."

I mean there are things known as scholarships, but sure, keep going.

Back