• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top Chef 14: Charleston

yeah, pretty incredible to come to the US at age 23 and have two restaurants by age 26

And yet, she's gone because she doesn't know how to make southern style potato salad for a pig-pickin. Seems a little harsh given the other miscues on her team. I guess it's possible her dish was just bad for any setting, but they kept harping on the lack of mayo and what they expected from a potato salad.

Last edited:
it looked awful. I don't think it would have been bad if made properly, and might have been a nice riff on potato salad, but it looked brown (like an avocado does) and they said it was mushy.

yeah it didn't sound that good all around

the team got dinged for overthinking bbq, but hers especially was just super out of place on top of being shitty

And yet, she's gone because she doesn't know how to make southern style potato salad for a pig-pickin. Seems a little harsh given the other miscues on her team. I guess it's possible her dish was just bad for any setting, but they kept harking on the lack of mayo and what they expected from a potato salad.

yep; that dish looked gross

I was amazed at the number of chefs that had never made a biscuit.

Yeah I was telling my wife if I was competing as soon as I knew the destination of the season I'd begin practicing signature dishes, since you know you're going to have to cook them. So for Charleston, biscuits, shrimp and grits, frogmore stew, low country boil, bbq, etc.

Yeah I was telling my wife if I was competing as soon as I knew the destination of the season I'd begin practicing signature dishes, since you know you're going to have to cook them. So for Charleston, biscuits, shrimp and grits, frogmore stew, low country boil, bbq, etc.

Do you know how far ahead do they actually know the destination? I agree with you but was arguing with a few peeps the other day about how soon they find out.

silvia was so hot and so freaking cool i want to hang out with her

had no idea before the last ep she was so young

I'm glad we felt the same way about Silvia. SMOKE. I fell in love the first ep when she was rolling out pasta

Do you know how far ahead do they actually know the destination? I agree with you but was arguing with a few peeps the other day about how soon they find out.

Good question. Maybe they don't.

I read an interview with Bryan Voltaggio and he said they give you a notebook first thing when you arrive so he spent a long time memorizing ratios and such so as soon as he got his he wrote them down which helped a lot.

Glad about the latest victim

Didn't add much to the show

Glad my boy got a win too

Watched every season of the show and I didn't remember her at all

+1

But did you know she was a bartender and out of cooking for a year and a half??

Not to divert the thread, but I had the privilege of meeting Chef Jet Tila on Friday. I have never seen any of the cooking shows, but he was very friendly and seemed like a great guy. I told him that if he missed his flight due to the snow he was welcome to stay with us. I even volunteered to make a run for him to the closest Harris Teeter and get him everything he would need. He laughed and asked if we had free WiFi and well-stocked bar. He will be on the Today show tomorrow morning. I'm a fan now.

Not to divert the thread, but I had the privilege of meeting Chef Jet Tila on Friday. I have never seen any of the cooking shows, but he was very friendly and seemed like a great guy. I told him that if he missed his flight due to the snow he was welcome to stay with us. I even volunteered to make a run for him to the closest Harris Teeter and get him everything he would need. He laughed and asked if we had free WiFi and well-stocked bar. He will be on the Today show tomorrow morning. I'm a fan now.

He's on Cutthroat Kitchen a lot and always seems like a genuine, good dude. Glad to hear he actually is that guy.

Last edited:
I kinda like him :couch:

He's at least unique, even if he is stubborn as hell about putting too many ingredients into his food. I think his style of food, mexican/japanese kosher, is certainly unique given his background, but he just hasn't entirely figured out how to make it work. The judges obviously admire his originality because he's made it this far, and made it really far in his own season.

Katsuji reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Half the time he was hilarious, half the time he was annoying, but he was pretty much always an asshole. It just depended on who his target was at the time. He had a very similar accent to Katsuji as well. Katsuji makes me laugh more than anyone else on the show this season, so I want him on there as long as possible.

So I assume they show the trailer for Summer House on tv as well. There's a fellow 2007 grad on this reality series about rich kids who vacation in the hamptons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie wtf are you doing

Yeah, and why did the judges let him do it? Obviously they know he's a better chef, and was "taking one for the team" by agreeing to use those ingredients.

I'm pretty sure that's never happened in the history of the show before. They could have easily just said "nope, these are the rules, you can't give up immunity".

Yeah, and why did the judges let him do it? Obviously they know he's a better chef, and was "taking one for the team" by agreeing to use those ingredients.

I'm pretty sure that's never happened in the history of the show before. They could have easily just said "nope, these are the rules, you can't give up immunity".

Yeah, I kind of wish they had done that, mostly because Emily is THE WORST.

Yeah, I kind of wish they had done that, mostly because Emily is THE WORST.

Yeah, definitely not an Emily fan. But if Jamie comes back and wins through last chance kitchen like Kristen did, it'll be a great story.

Back