• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top Chef 14: Charleston

I said she looked fat or pregnant on this last episode- my wife got mad at me

I have also commended her boobs on several occasions- wife got mad at me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padma has aged remarkably well but she is starting to dress her age, sadly.

I just got back from Maui - ate twice at Sheldon's little lunch spot. In a week of amazing dinners, it was the best thing I ate all week. Get the poke bowl and have them throw the egg on top. It'll cost you $9.

Just anticlimactic. Could tell Brooke was going to win. I wanted Shirley but she screwed the pooch by not taking Sheldon first

I'm surprised they had Sheldon as an option for sous. Usually they don't have the last eliminated person bc there's potentially bad blood/their head isn't in it. Maybe they asked Sheldon. He's obvi super chill and lovable.

Last edited:
Good for Brooke, Shirley is super annoying.

I feel like it wasnt close. Sheldon/Brooke would have been closer.

This season was kinda lame since they just brought in a bunch of ringers. Top Chef has historically been about up and comers, sous chefs or chefs de cuisine that dont own their own restos, not really about people that already own and run multiple franchises. That game has always been reserved for Top Chef Masters, which they havent run since 2013.

I do like that in the finals they just let them cook whatever TF they want. To me that presents a better show than 'cook in a mayan cave with only a mortar and pestle'

Last edited:
That was a blowout they tried to add drama to with the dessert round.

the worst finale, for many reasons, was the Brooke/Kristen one. It was something like best of 5 dishes or something, and they still had a course left to cook with about 5 minutes left in the show so it was pretty obvious Kristen was going to win.

They didn't even show the 2nd round being critiqued. Assumed it was Tom saying this ramen is awful, Shirley can't win with this dish

Just anticlimactic. Could tell Brooke was going to win. I wanted Shirley but she screwed the pooch by not taking Sheldon first

WTF was Shirley doing with her picks? So weird.

Also, I felt this entire season followed the reality we were being shown (AKA very little meddling with production decisions). I don't recall being surprised by a specific win or elimination the whole time - well, except knight-in-douche-armor Jamie.

Good for Brooke, Shirley is super annoying.

I feel like it wasnt close. Sheldon/Brooke would have been closer.

This season was kinda lame since they just brought in a bunch of ringers. Top Chef has historically been about up and comers, sous chefs or chefs de cuisine that dont own their own restos, not really about people that already own and run multiple franchises. That game has always been reserved for Top Chef Masters, which they havent run since 2013.

I do like that in the finals they just let them cook whatever TF they want. To me that presents a better show than 'cook in a mayan cave with only a mortar and pestle'

I'm ok with seeing old heads this time, but I really hope this isn't a regular occurrence.

They didn't even show the 2nd round being critiqued. Assumed it was Tom saying this ramen is awful, Shirley can't win with this dish

The weird thing is they got their own personal sous-chef in addition to the contestant picks, and it was Shirley's guy that made the majority of the terrible Ramen broth. In her two seasons Shirley probably made more than 10 broth-based dishes, all of which were just about universally loved by the judges regardless of the style. She said later it was because the pressure cookers were too small to make enough broth, but nobody really bought it.

Contrast that with Brooke's team - Sheldon's like, oh, I cooked that exact octopus for 16 minutes but it should have been 14 to be perfect. Then Sam tops it with perfect garlic chips. Ended up being the best dish of the night. Keeping Casey away from Brooke definitely backfired. Picking Katsuji over Sam or even Sylva wasn't the greatest call either.

Seems like an entertaining bunch.

Did anyone watch Last Chance Kitchen? No idea what they're actually doing (logistically), but I'm always glad to see some familiar faces.

Seems like an entertaining bunch.

Did anyone watch Last Chance Kitchen? No idea what they're actually doing (logistically), but I'm always glad to see some familiar faces.

It still pains me to think back on how Kwame blew up at the end of his season by cooking with frozen waffles. Come on, man!

Apparently he had to close his first restaurant because it was outrageously over priced:

"In August 2016, Onwuachi confirmed the $185 menu cost and the opening date, November 1. $185 covered roughly 15 courses, not including beverage, tax, or tip. All told, dinner could cost $500 per person, and the price quickly became the story."

Last edited:
My wife and I each picked four chefs for our "last man standing wins" competition. I ended up with amish soul food man, mustache man, pakistani woman, and vietnamese man. Wife got soul food woman, non-mustached Joe, portly man that everyone knows, and "guy that used to work at french laundry".

We picked after the quick fire.

Back