• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eater's Best American Restaurants 2016

None of these joints can hold a candle to the Monte Cristo at Bennigans.

I don't know if they're really comparable. Momofuku is a lot weirder.

I mean, isn't it ultimately up to the taste buds of the beholder?

When I see lists like this I think "Yeah, I can easily see that place being the restaurant I'd recommend someone to go to if they had one night in town."

I mean, isn't it ultimately up to the taste buds of the beholder?

When I see lists like this I think "Yeah, I can easily see that place being the restaurant I'd recommend someone to go to if they had one night in town."

Not sure why you quoted that post, but I agree with everything in it. Zahav is definitely on the short list in Philly of places I'd recommend if a person had one day.

Interesting question...could an argument be made for anything in ATL to be the best in the world? I submit defs no. Best losing argument, maybe post gangsta rap scene from late 90s to 2000? Still p lame. Coke is good but you can get that anywhere.

Have not been in a long time but at one point between the Spring Street Ballet, the Gold Club and the Pink Pony you could argue the strip clubs were the best...

Not sure why you quoted that post, but I agree with everything in it. Zahav is definitely on the short list in Philly of places I'd recommend if a person had one day.

I was expanding on your point to LK. He asked a strange question to me.

Ah yeah. Agreed. Eater is a good place to start. I tend to like it better than Yelp/TripAdvisor/UrbanSpoon/whatever. When it comes to food recs, you want the expert picks rather than the crowd. May be different when it comes to hotels or places to visit.

I think it's on there because this list is "essential" restaurants, and since Momofuku sorta launched the ramen craze in America, and Chang's empire

I think it's on there because this list is "essential" restaurants, and since Momofuku sorta launched the ramen craze in America, and Chang's empire

Right. Arguably you could find 38 better or equivalent restaurants in NYC alone than the ones on this list, but there's some geographic diversity, diversity of cuisine and price point, etc. for the sake of it.

Sake or sake ?

sake.jpg

Eater is pretty bobo. They do a good enough job but their writers are usually basement dwellers / young kids that dont know ish. Websites like that dont pay shit to their writers and have a shoestring budget to actually help offset the cost of eating and reviewing those places.

I've been to 5-6 places there. Agree MU is solid but not life changing. I will say if you go in the summer early fall when all the veggies are poppin its pretty impressive. Staplehouse, Eugene, Cakes & Ale, Atlas are all probably 'better' than MU though.

Husk Nashville is probably the best meal I've had in America in the last 5 years.

Have not been in a long time but at one point between the Spring Street Ballet, the Gold Club and the Pink Pony you could argue the strip clubs were the best...

Interesting indeed. I have a hard time believing ATL would take first on a global stage, or even USA (Vegas, New Orleans come to mind) although I did have a wild time at the Pink Pony once upon a time.

Eater is pretty bobo. They do a good enough job but their writers are usually basement dwellers / young kids that dont know ish. Websites like that dont pay shit to their writers and have a shoestring budget to actually help offset the cost of eating and reviewing those places.

I've been to 5-6 places there. Agree MU is solid but not life changing. I will say if you go in the summer early fall when all the veggies are poppin its pretty impressive. Staplehouse, Eugene, Cakes & Ale, Atlas are all probably 'better' than MU though.

Husk Nashville is probably the best meal I've had in America in the last 5 years.

What'd you get at Husk?

Yeah the Baltimore pick is just a really good, really popular farm-to-table place with a Top Chef guy in the kitchen. Yes it's really good and can hold its own anywhere in the country but it's also not giving you the 50th best meal in the country.

Why is Husk Nashville better/different than the one in Charleston?

Yeah the Baltimore pick is just a really good, really popular farm-to-table place with a Top Chef guy in the kitchen. Yes it's really good and can hold its own anywhere in the country but it's also not giving you the 50th best meal in the country.

Still southern ingredients but not as inspired by classic lowcountry cuisine. Also, different farms im sure.

I don't know if they're really comparable. Momofuku is a lot weirder.

Ippudo was legit good, but it felt lacking compared to even the basic ramen houses I found in Tokyo. I think it had a lot to do with the noodles. I also think my expectations are too high.

Totto Ramen in Manhattan is pretty damn good too.

What'd you get at Husk?

I dont remember everything, went with my brother last minute bc we were in town for wedding. No rez but scored two seats at the bar in the basement. Ordered a bunch of smallish plates, a salad with some sort of heritage breed shaved celery that was like nothing id ever tasted but at the same time seemed like what real celery should taste like. And then like a spin on shrimp and grits with crispy rice and an egg instead maybe. We ended up sharing like 5-6 plates. All were unreal. I still want to try cat bird seat in Nashville, but it would be hard to not just go back to Husk if I only had one meal.

he was never on Top Chef, but he did win the Beard award for Best Chef Mid-Atlantic this year

I dont remember everything, went with my brother last minute bc we were in town for wedding. No rez but scored two seats at the bar in the basement. Ordered a bunch of smallish plates, a salad with some sort of heritage breed shaved celery that was like nothing id ever tasted but at the same time seemed like what real celery should taste like. And then like a spin on shrimp and grits with crispy rice and an egg instead maybe. We ended up sharing like 5-6 plates. All were unreal. I still want to try cat bird seat in Nashville, but it would be hard to not just go back to Husk if I only had one meal.

I really like their pig ear lettuce wraps and chicken wings. Cornbread too. Looks like they serve those at both locations.

Back