• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC-G Basketball Game Thread

ACC teams playing at UNCG in the last five seasons:

2012 - Virginia Tech, Wake
2013 - NC State
2014 - UNC
2016 - UVA, Wake

Without looking, I would bet everything I own that Duke did not play at UNCG in a regular season game a few seasons ago. Duke does not play true away games except when forced (conf games and big 10 challenge). It should be a mark against them for tournament seeding, but never is.

December 29th, 2011

Without looking, I would bet everything I own that Duke did not play at UNCG in a regular season game a few seasons ago. Duke does not play true away games except when forced (conf games and big 10 challenge). It should be a mark against them for tournament seeding, but never is.

Duke played at UNCG in the Coliseum in some years Greensboro hosted the ACC Tournament.

Another reason that will never be spoken out loud by coaches is that because UNCG plays home games in the Greensboro Coliseum, it is an opportunity to get a game in the building that hosts the ACC tournament a lot of years, and also is a venue for NCAA tournament games. Coaches think it helps your team at least a little if the first time your team sees the coliseum floor isn't for a tournament game. How much does it help? I dunno, but coaches must think it helps or they wouldn't do it.

the only reason I remember them playing there is because it was K's 1000 career win or some milestone like that.

Tonight's game was an excellent demonstration that the Deacs are still capable of losing to anyone. It is also a demonstration of why the ball needs to be in Crawford's hands with the game on the line. Wood's second half shooting is the reason the Deacs didn't lose. Fortunately, I got caught up watching a damn soccer game. I only turned it on to check out the score. You folks might want to give it a try. Playing for the national championship on Sunday afternoon. You don't need to know anything about the game. I don't. The excitement just seems to happen.

Just watched the replay. Result was a good road win with a mediocre 2nd half effort.

Refs made the game unwatchable. UNCG broadcasters weren't much better, but you can't fault them for knowing their team better than they know Wake and wanting to talk what they know.

Really missed Stan Lewter tonight. Starting to feel like he's the 2nd voice of the Deacs.

Well one of the announcers brought up how much he loved the Childress ankle breaker from 95. I mean, jezz that's nearly 22 years ago.

Good road win? Eh. A win.

22 years ago. Very appropriate.

Overcame the jinx of the banked three pointer...

Not that anyone has to be happy about it, but road games like this happen. It's basketball, not football. Greensboro hit some bullshit shots and a few possession fell their way. We got tight, played like ass for a while... They played some inspired ball. But it's still a win. Like NC State beating Loyola Chicago by 2, Syracuse being in a 5 point game with North Florida with a minute left, or Louisville going to OT with Old Dominion - shit happens all the time.

Crawford with one turnover and one made three while shooting 50% from the field for 17 points... Ultimate test of a player being "due" to make one since he was 0% from deep for the first 39 minutes and 53 seconds of the game... Gotta love that as a coach. Run a double screen and hope for a switch to get a Crawford mismatch, get the mismatch just like you wanted - but instead of driving their big man at the 3 point line with a guard defending our 4 for a put-back (and Crawford was shooting 70% inside the arc), he just drills one from NBA range. Ridiculous.

Arians, Dinos, McClinton, and whoever else plays forward for this team cannot all combine for 5 rebounds and hope to win games. Piss poor effort on the boards tonight. Tying them in overall boards is a joke and 100% lack of effort.

Except that each of those other teams has a recent history of success and deep tourney runs (and a recent fucking natty for LVille) that indicates that for them those games were in fact "shit happens" anomalies. Our recent history indicates that this type of game is our normal level of piss-poor performance, we were actually lucky to pull the win out of our ass, and we're in for another DFL conference finish.

HOw does Collins only take 6 shots. The ball needs to go through him on 75% of the possessions.

Came to this thread to ask this very question. I didn't see the game, but that is inexplicable. He had 3 total fouls

lol it's almost like people don't pay attention to lines and projected scores.

BUT IT'S GREENSBORO!!!!

If you want to argue that we shouldn't play them on the road, or if we should NEVER be close close to UNC-G then fine, I agree with you on those aspects, but the spread is what it was for a reason.

Because Vegas knows we are not that good and rarely put away inferior teams on the road

The offense in the last ~10 minutes of the game was Bz-level.

Well one of the announcers brought up how much he loved the Childress ankle breaker from 95. I mean, jezz that's nearly 22 years ago.

Good road win? Eh. A win.
After that guy brought that up, he was ok by me.

We need to accept the fact that Manning is a good recruiter (well Chill is at least) but is not a good coach. But hey Bezzledick was neither, so we have made a step forward

Last edited:
Back