• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC-G Basketball Game Thread

If you want to feel better about last night's win, look through the rankings over the last 6 years on Kenpom. Suffice it to say, I'd forgotten (or maybe never realized) just how bad we were and our current level is right where Gaudio left it, FWIW.

53 Kenpom, 22 in RPI, play just under the spread, people loose their shit...

Wes Miller's intensity on the sideline is awesome to see. He has built one of the best teams in the Sou Con. I tried to say we should hire him but we chose Buzz instead. Oops. Oh well, he'll be kicking our ass from an ACC sideline soon enough just like he did in college when we screwed that up as well.

No, we chose Manning. You weren't pushing Miller in 2010.

NCSU went to overtime with Tennessee State.

In Raleigh no less.

If this had been a close game with UNC-G just hanging around I might buy into a win is a win. But when you have a team down by 16 in the 2nd half you need to put them away and there is no reason for it to come down to the last shot. This isn't the NBA, blowing big leads is not the norm in the NCAA.

Anyone that watched that game saw us go on a streak of turning the ball over and really the only reason we kept our lead was UNC-G missed 4 wide open 3 pointers in a row.

I think the frustration people feel is that when you are a program that has been down for so long your team can't feel like it can coast at any time or lose focus.

53 Kenpom, 22 in RPI, play just under the spread, people loose their shit...

RPI should be put out of its misery and never used again. It has Middle TN State at #3. Please don't say it's early. There's no way to have program that has such a result 30% into the season.

Two things on Wes Miller:

1- This is his 6th year at UNCG. His best year was his first and he's yet to have a winning record. He is also sub-.500 in conference. There is a reason he's still at UNCG and it isn't because he's waiting for Roy's job.

2- He looked like a ridiculous asshat on the bench last night.

No thanks.

Two things on Wes Miller:

1- This is his 6th year at UNCG. His best year was his first and he's yet to have a winning record. He is also sub-.500 in conference. There is a reason he's still at UNCG and it isn't because he's waiting for Roy's job.

2- He looked like a ridiculous asshat on the bench last night.

No thanks.

This

Ph may be defeated here, not certain. I vaguely recall DR advocating for Pat Kelsey back in those days, but not so much on Wes?

That's what I'm saying. Kelsey in the age of Dino/Bz and Wes later.

Would have lost the game by double digits under Bzzz. Be happy with a win

Being better than Bzzz is the lowest possible bar we could set for a coach. Stop doing that. Have some pride. We should be comparing our current coach to Skip and Odom, not Staak and [Redacted].

Miller has been my top choice since he was like 14 and I pushed hard for him here in 2010. UNCG is nearly an impossible job with the schedule they play. He already has one division title there and I anticipate another one this year. We shall see. I have also pushed for Wojo & Kelsey. I was right on both of those as well compared to what we chose.

To be clear again though here in 2016, as I was in 2010 and 2000, it is a no brainer for us to dumpster fire the Joel and hire a very young coach to rebuild in an 8k seat arena. Miller is my #1 choice because unlike Wellman he has a blind loyalty to Wake and I believe would stay once the ship is righted. Kelsey and Wojo aren't as good a choice for that reason but I would have taken them over Buzz and Manning.

It's ok to disagree, but you don't get to say what my position was and is so don't claim I wasn't on the Miller train before any of you people. I was back in 2010, I am now, and all you people will be one day. You can't teach hard work, heart, passion & dumping the corporate crap in the name of winning. He has it & we need it at Wake.

Last edited:
In 2010, miller was 27 years old with two years of assistant coaching experience (Elon and High Point).

Yes, he was. And people were laughing when I told them (and wrote here) that he should be our Coach. Just as they were laughing when I built my own companies at that age! Not so funny anymore is it! How much would be better would we be with Miller as an established 5th year 34 year old Coach? But alas we had to have the older "established" Buzz. How you old broke done people doing now?

Last edited:
I am not sure you have been vindicated. [Redacted] was a disaster. That does not mean that hiring someone as an inexperienced as Wes Miller would not have been more of a disaster. And his dad's name is on a building so firing him would not be easy.

All those who opposed the Buzz hire have been vindicated and all those who supported it will forever be vilified.

In 2010, miller was 27 years old with two years of assistant coaching experience (Elon and High Point).

There's no way we should've even looked at him at that point, for anyone to think we should've is crazy.

I have no issue with Miller or Kelsey. They will probably both turn out to be successful coaches, but Miller was not going to get hired at Wake at 27 with no real experience and he still has a lot to prove before he gets a big time job. Kelsey is similar. Maybe the timing will be right after Manning leaves us for Kansas after winning a few ACC Championships and getting us to the Final Four.

*That last part is mostly tongue in cheek.

Back