• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC-G Basketball Game Thread

Crazy? That's fine to call me that. Life's decisions result in scoreboards which reflect the winners and losers. Call me crazy. That's fine but don't say I didn't say it later. Scrap the Joel & hire young Miller. Then and now. UVA is killing us because hey did just that while we went the more conservative route.

Don't think you can compare Bennett's pre-UVA resume with a 27 year old Miller but okay.

We looked at and hired [Redacted] ... how would we not be determined crazy with that as what we actually did?

I have no issue with Miller or Kelsey. They will probably both turn out to be successful coaches, but Miller was not going to get hired at Wake at 27 with no real experience and he still has a lot to prove before he gets a big time job. Kelsey is similar. Maybe the timing will be right after Manning leaves us for Kansas after winning a few ACC Championships and getting us to the Final Four.

*That last part is mostly tongue in cheek.

Crazy? That's fine to call me that. Life's decisions result in scoreboards which reflect the winners and losers. Call me crazy. That's fine but don't say I didn't say it later. Scrap the Joel & hire young Miller. Then and now. UVA is killing us because hey did just that while we went the more conservative route.

[Redacted] was a crazy hire no doubt, but does anyone really think a 27 year old miller with ass. coaching experience at Elon and HPU was someone Wellman should've really considered in 2010? Come on DR, sure you might have thought then that he'd be a good coach, but you can't honestly think Wellman or any other AD at a power conference school would've looked at him at that point.

If we're talking about scoreboards and winners and losers, Miller's overall record is: 67–95 (.414) while Danny's is: 67–68 (.496). Danny Wins, Miller looses.

Yes, he was. And people were laughing when I told them (and wrote here) that he should be our Coach. Just as they were laughing when I built my own companies at that age! Not so funny anymore is it! How much would be better would we be with Miller as an established 5th year 34 year old Coach? But alas we had to have the older "established" Buzz. How you old broke done people doing now?

Parody?

If we're talking about scoreboards and winners and losers, Miller's overall record is: 67–95 (.414) while Danny's is: 67–68 (.496). Danny Wins, Miller looses.
. One is at UNCG playing the superpowers. The other is at Wake Forest playing Presbyterian. One is recruiting to a Southern Conference school with 2 NCAA appearances. The other... Th scoreboard is pretty clear to me. We can agree to disagree here about 2010. Wake Forest is one place I am not in charge. But one thing I am in charge of is my opinion. My opinion in 2010 and now is scrap the Joel and hire Miller. Saying otherwise, hopefully we can all agree is wrong.

DR, you know I love you bro, but you can't compare where Wes Miller was in 2010 and where Tony Bennett was when UVA hired him.

Wes had been an assistant coach at two very low D1 programs. Bennett had been been the HC of a New Zealand pro team, four years as assistant at WI, a year as an assistant at Washington State, a year as Associate HC and three years as Washington State's Head Coach. This included two years with 26 wins each in a Power 5 conference, a Sweet 16 and another NCAAT trip.

They aren't at all alike.

. One is at UNCG playing the superpowers. The other is at Wake Forest playing Presbyterian. One is recruiting to a Southern Conference school with 2 NCAA appearances. The other... Th scoreboard is pretty clear to me. We can agree to disagree here about 2010. Wake Forest is one place I am not in charge. But one thing I am in charge of is my opinion. My opinion in 2010 and now is scrap the Joel and hire Miller. Saying otherwise, hopefully we can all agree is wrong.

Calling for him to be the head coach in 2010 is top 10 worst hot takes on this board. Do you not understand how out of conference scheduling works for P5 teams?

It's not crazy to have a feeling that a very young coach with only a few years experience as an assistant at lower level schools could turn out to be a good head coach one day, it is crazy to think he should've been hired as a head coach of a power conference school at that point in his career.

It's not crazy to have a feeling that a very young coach with only a few years experience as an assistant at lower level schools could turn out to be a good head coach one day, it is crazy to think he should've been hired as a head coach of a power conference school at that point in his career.

It is also crazy to have him as your top choice since he was the age of 14 and blindly want him as the head coach of a P5 conference team when he has 0 experience.

I am not sure you have been vindicated. [Redacted] was a disaster. That does not mean that hiring someone as an inexperienced as Wes Miller would not have been more of a disaster. And his dad's name is on a building so firing him would not be easy.

It would not have been possible to be a worse disaster. My dog would have been better for the program than BZ.

DR's meds are booze, broads and gambling...I doubt he's off any of them.

[Redacted] was a crazy hire no doubt, but does anyone really think a 27 year old miller with ass. coaching experience at Elon and HPU was someone Wellman should've really considered in 2010? Come on DR, sure you might have thought then that he'd be a good coach, but you can't honestly think Wellman or any other AD at a power conference school would've looked at him at that point.

Duke hiring Coach K when they did comes to mind.

Leave Donald Ross alone. Recently played Savannah Golf Club. He knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
Did DR just claim that Danny is padding his stats against creampuffs while playing in the ACC, and Wes Miller has to play the big boys of the SoCon and that explains the disparity in W-L record?

It would not have been possible to be a worse disaster. My dog would have been better for the program than BZ.

Well 4 years of Bzedlik lead to Danny Manning. Manning wasn't a particularly great hire, and it remains to be seen if he will be successful but I'd rather have him than Wes Miller.

Of course, Wellman could have just made a sensible hire in the beginning. For example, a well respected assistant from an elite program. Like, I don't know, Danny Manning. I would have bitched about it, but not if told the other options were Wes Miller and Jeff fucking [Redacted].

I once thought that 22fan's takes calling for Chill to be hired as HC with like one year of asst experience were the dumbest coaching takes I'd read on these boards. I may have been wrong.

Miller has been my top choice since he was like 14 and I pushed hard for him here in 2010. UNCG is nearly an impossible job with the schedule they play. He already has one division title there and I anticipate another one this year. We shall see. I have also pushed for Wojo & Kelsey. I was right on both of those as well compared to what we chose.

To be clear again though here in 2016, as I was in 2010 and 2000, it is a no brainer for us to dumpster fire the Joel and hire a very young coach to rebuild in an 8k seat arena. Miller is my #1 choice because unlike Wellman he has a blind loyalty to Wake and I believe would stay once the ship is righted. Kelsey and Wojo aren't as good a choice for that reason but I would have taken them over Buzz and Manning.

It's ok to disagree, but you don't get to say what my position was and is so don't claim I wasn't on the Miller train before any of you people. I was back in 2010, I am now, and all you people will be one day. You can't teach hard work, heart, passion & dumping the corporate crap in the name of winning. He has it & we need it at Wake.

where was millers blind loyalty when he chose to play for unc over wake?

Back