• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC-G Basketball Game Thread

Did DR just claim that Danny is padding his stats against creampuffs while playing in the ACC, and Wes Miller has to play the big boys of the SoCon and that explains the disparity in W-L record?

Yes.

Well crazy or not I'd love to see us take a chance on a young coach with potential than mediocre experienced ones. I don't see Manning being terribly successful following the abysmal failure of Bz. Dino was the best of the three and he wasn't the right guy either. So it's been a while since wellman made a good basketball hire. Let's try something different.

I see DR's point and he may well be right in the long run. I am not sure that any AD would have taken that gamble at that point. I sure as hell wish Wellman had gone that route. Probably would have worked out well.

Well crazy or not I'd love to see us take a chance on a young coach with potential than mediocre experienced ones. I don't see Manning being terribly successful following the abysmal failure of Bz. Dino was the best of the three and he wasn't the right guy either. So it's been a while since wellman made a good basketball hire. Let's try something different.

I see no reason Manning can't be successful. the evidence says the program has done nothing but move forward since he got here. We can't bitch when that is not the case.

Manning doesn't fall into this category?

I am not being really critical of the Manning hire. I'm fine with it because he's fairly young. The problem with Manning is 2 or 3 decent years and he's gone. You can't get to a 1000 wins with a Coach if you hire him in his 50s. Look at the ages and experience level of Knight, K, & Dean when they were hired. The other reason I wanted to hire Wes (& Wojo) was to get them while we could blocking them from what all insiders know is likely their eventual trajectories. Wes has more college wins than any 33 year old alive. That will continue. And one day he will be on an ACC sideline. I was hoping we would gamble and it would be us. It seems like the fact that his dad struck it rich and is one of our top 5 most loyal donors (even after we snubbed his son as a player) is being used against him. Why? Firing is never easy anyway. Donating to the school hurts you?? Silly. It's time to recognize the era and make bold moves. We have nothing to lose. Old dudes are lazy, nonrisk takers, that do not rock the boat. That's why nobody smart wants to hire an old lawyer, doctor, or basketball coaches. We have watched Wellman's lazy, conservative, stale, risk averse moves leave us with a decade in the trash bin and a neusue of a basketball stadium around our neck. The only bright spot has been the improvement of the football facilities and we all know that is exclusively the result of Bob McCreary.

Paying all that money to Wellman has been a huge mistake. We could have signed Wes or Kelsey to a long term deal for a fraction of what we pay that guy. And now we would have a coach that could be with us 4 decades instead of an old retread dude whose upside is 5-6 years. I hope we get another shot. In the meantime, maybe Manning can get us better positioned before he heads somewhere else (like Kansas if he does well here)

DR, where is Danny going to go if he moves us up? If we are winning, we can pay him as much as anyone else. We are upgrading our facilities. And Danny likes the area and the ACC. There's no reason for him to leave if we are winning.

Wes has has the following SoCon records:

10-8
6-12
7-9
6-12
10-8

Sorry, but that's plenty of time in a bad conference to show he's good.

I see no reason Manning can't be successful. the evidence says the program has done nothing but move forward since he got here. We can't bitch when that is not the case.

Had nowhere to go but up

Manning doesn't fall into this category?

No.

ETA: I'm not saying this Miller guy would've been a good idea. Just saying I'd be fine with taking a chance on a coach at this point.

That's why nobody smart wants to hire an old ... doctor

Been lurking for quite some time, had to log in to post that this is quite literally one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. When I read this, I spit out my coffee and I wasn't even drinking any. I mean yeah, when your life is on the line, you want that 26 year old straight out of residency who's never managed a patient before to be the one making your health decisions. Lolololololol

If Wes Miller wins at UNCG, he will likely be our next coach.

I am not being really critical of the Manning hire. I'm fine with it because he's fairly young. The problem with Manning is 2 or 3 decent years and he's gone. You can't get to a 1000 wins with a Coach if you hire him in his 50s. Look at the ages and experience level of Knight, K, & Dean when they were hired. The other reason I wanted to hire Wes (& Wojo) was to get them while we could blocking them from what all insiders know is likely their eventual trajectories. Wes has more college wins than any 33 year old alive. That will continue. And one day he will be on an ACC sideline. I was hoping we would gamble and it would be us. It seems like the fact that his dad struck it rich and is one of our top 5 most loyal donors (even after we snubbed his son as a player) is being used against him. Why? Firing is never easy anyway. Donating to the school hurts you?? Silly. It's time to recognize the era and make bold moves. We have nothing to lose. Old dudes are lazy, nonrisk takers, that do not rock the boat. That's why nobody smart wants to hire an old lawyer, doctor, or basketball coaches. We have watched Wellman's lazy, conservative, stale, risk averse moves leave us with a decade in the trash bin and a neusue of a basketball stadium around our neck. The only bright spot has been the improvement of the football facilities and we all know that is exclusively the result of Bob McCreary.

Paying all that money to Wellman has been a huge mistake. We could have signed Wes or Kelsey to a long term deal for a fraction of what we pay that guy. And now we would have a coach that could be with us 4 decades instead of an old retread dude whose upside is 5-6 years. I hope we get another shot. In the meantime, maybe Manning can get us better positioned before he heads somewhere else (like Kansas if he does well here)

Wow, for someone who claims to be smart, you say some pretty stupid things.

We have watched Wellman's lazy, conservative, stale, risk averse moves leave us with a decade in the trash bin and a neusue of a basketball stadium around our neck.

This is the worst attempt at spelling a word I have ever seen. I assume you were going for noose?

This is the worst attempt at spelling a word I have ever seen. I assume you were going for noose?
Yea, probably. They stopped teaching spelling in the 70s when those now broke ass old doctors who all signed stupid contracts & talk into those little hand held machines and then prescribe poison like Xarelto & Pradaxa were going through school. You know, the ones who went to medical school before modern medicine that you sit for hours to meet with so they can then tell you about what they remember from their anatomy class 30 years ago before taking a nap. Ron Wellman knows how to spell probably. He's old and went to some directional school in Illinois or Ohio or some such before the internet was invented and has been sitting around laughing while we moron donors who actually attended a decent school have been paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars for a few decades to treat us like we know nothing about sports and has hired 1 or 2 coaches in 20 different sports who actually won anything. He probably has a lot of time to focus on spelling. Ask him.

Last edited:
Wow, so much here.

Have to start with 'hide your keys', shocked this has not come up yet. :)

I think for DM to ever go back to Kansas or another big 5 team, he's going to have have us near the top of the ACC for a couple of years. Nothing to this point would have him on another big 5 list. I think people are more worried he'll muddle through in the middle of the pack as his ceiling which would not be bad enough to get fired and not good enough to be stolen.

Trying to remember the assistant we (the board) were so hot on when Odom's contract was not renewed? Pelphrey? He certainly didn't wind up lighting it up.

I do find it interesting the Shaka took Texas to the NCAA's last year with about the same record and result as Barnes had the year before and is not off to a 5-4 start with a blow out loss at NW. If Manning was 5-4 we'd be calling for his head. I'm guessing Shaka was not left with nothing and has yet to work his VCU magic there. I think the point is that even if we had gotten Shaka would he have been able to turn it around any faster than our current pace.

Yea, probably. They stopped teaching spelling in the 70s when those now broke ass old doctors who all signed stupid contracts & talk into those little hand held machines and then prescribe poison like Xarelto & Pradaxa were going through school.

Both of these drugs were approved after 2010, so they weren't taught to old doctors. The examples you have chosen may be even more peculiar than your spelling of "noose."

Last edited:
Except he has been very mediocre in his five years at UNC-G. he is under .500 in conference games in spite taking over early season when he went 10-5.

Both of these drugs were approved after 2010, so they weren't taught to old doctors. The examples you have chosen may be even more peculiar than your spelling of "noose."

Just keep prescribing them Doc. The NC legislature may protect you but you'll keep filling coffins and sadly millions more will be paid by the manufacturers who are still selling them despite paying millions already for their negligence in creating them. But hey, at least you can spell. The FDA approved phen phen & Actos too. You still handing those out like skittles?

Am I the only one worried that Rafi knows so much about pharmaceuticals? Has he finally exposed his job in the Athletic Department?

Back