• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC-G Basketball Game Thread

Listen. All DR said was he has backed Miller for the coaching job going back some years. People said he didn't. I think he probably did. We have a coach we should get behind right now. All the rest is bull shit.

Is DR the kind of lawyer who actually goes to court and makes arguments ? You know, a litigator, a trial lawyer ? Because if he is, I want to know when he goes on, because I could use a good laugh. Also, is it poor form to bet on lawyers in the courtroom ? Because I want to put some serious cash on the other guy.

He puts on a great show. It would be worth an hour of your life.

And I'm sure that DR is a fine lawyer, no joke. But this Wes Miller argument is ridiculous and illogical.

Biff, if you notice I agree with you on Wes Miller...not that it matters.

Yeah, and if he carried half baked arguments like that into court he'd be a laughingstock.

Listen. All DR said was he has backed Miller for the coaching job going back some years. People said he didn't. I think he probably did. We have a coach we should get behind right now. All the rest is bull shit.

No, he said lots more stuff.

DR was unquestionably all over Wes Miller's jock years ago and wanted to hire him as WF head coach. This can not be disputed.

But his recent double down on Miller despite a mediocre record at UNCG is head scratching to say the least...

DR was unquestionably all over Wes Miller's jock years ago and wanted to hire him as WF head coach. This can not be disputed.

But his recent double down on Miller despite a mediocre record at UNCG is head scratching to say the least...

This.

Absolutely correct about DR's support for Miller several years back.

He also led the Pelphrey petition in 2001.

It's almost wellmanesque.

In the 2011-2012 season (Wes Miller's first at UNCG), they did win their division with a 10-8 conference record, but their overall record as 13-19. That is a losing season (the 3 best teams in the conference were in the other division). Also, you must be kidding about listing playing WF, Rutgers, and VT as tough games in 2013.

Why do you keep putting all of those early season losses on Miller? Again, he wasn't even their Coach. When he took over, he righted the debacle, had a winning record and won the regular season championship.

As for those that say I'm friends with Miller, of course I am. Who wouldn't be that has been going to Wake games that long? The reality is that the personal interactions I have had for basically 2 decades with Miller, Kelsey, and Wellman absolutely color my views with regard to them--as they should. Miller and Kelsey are relentless workaholics who are in tune with the modern era of major college basketball. They both are gym rats who interact so well with the kids. They are both the anti-[name redacted] when it comes to social skills. They both have long solid careers in front of them.

As for Wellman, he has made 6 decisions for Wake basketball in his 26 years: Run Odom out of town, hire Prosser, fire Gaudio, hire [name redacted], hire Manning, and buy the Joel. I hope the Manning deal works out better than those other 5.

I will close with this thought: Bob Knight is by far the most qualified Coach to lead Wake Forest. He has more wins, championships, name recognition, etc. But, of course, what a horrible hire that would be. I want the Coach that can do the next 30-40 years what Bob Knight did during his time. I've not soured on Manning and he has my full support. I'm glad Ron didn't go for the old veteran like he did with Prosser and [name redacted] . So, in that regard, I'm happy we hired Manning. With that said, my top choice was Miller and it still would be if our job was open.

Last edited:
As for Wellman, he has made 6 decisions for Wake basketball in his 26 years: Run Odom out of town, hire Prosser, fire Gaudio, hire [name redacted], hire Manning, and buy the Joel. I hope the Manning deal works out better than those other 5.

Grades for the 6 decisons:
B+ (it was time - could have waited a year and let him leave on his own terms)
A-
B- (most people agree Dino was not the long term solution, should have waited a year and let him implode on his own. On the other hand, making the quick move showed guts)
F - (no question. The Dino firing would get a higher grade if the replacement hire had not been an unmitigated disaster)
B ( but really incomplete. I like Manning and he has shown some recruiting ability and some ability to identify under-rated talent. With some better game coaching this would be even higher.)
Inc. (We got an arena really cheap and we are developing a sports area over there with football, baseball, tennis and basketball that has some potential. Need to tie it to the campus somehow (monorail?))

I will close with this thought: Bob Knight is by far the most qualified Coach to lead Wake Forest. He has more wins, championships, name recognition, etc. But, of course, what a horrible hire that would be. I want the Coach that can do the next 30-40 years what Bob Knight did during his time. I've not soured on Manning and he has my full support. I'm glad Ron didn't go for the old veteran like he did with Prosser and [name redacted] . So, in that regard, I'm happy we hired Manning. With that said, my top choice was Miller and it still would be if our job was open.

DR - you are a Deacon fan and a passionate one. We need more of those. With respect to Miller you have info the rest of us don't - your personal relationship with him. Without that, you can't be surprised that his coaching resume does not excite the rest of us. The objective evidence does not support your subjective opinion, but that is fine. If you are right about him the evidence will catch up. If not, it will become clear.

DR - you are a Deacon fan and a passionate one. We need more of those. With respect to Miller you have info the rest of us don't - your personal relationship with him. Without that, you can't be surprised that his coaching resume does not excite the rest of us. The objective evidence does not support your subjective opinion, but that is fine. If you are right about him the evidence will catch up. If not, it will become clear.
I agree with that 100 percent. The only unfortunate part is he will be 40 which removes some of the benefit to hiring him now. What is sad is Wellman should have the same information I have if he was just paying attention to the world around him the last 2 decades instead of pretending he was smarter than everyone else and didn't need to interact with those around him. But I agree with your post.

Last edited:
Back